Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Showman the Holy Grail of Surf Amps?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

We played an outdoor "on the green" type gig to 700+ last summer ..had the Showmans turned up to 6 and was plenty loud....

www.northofmalibu.com

Now doubt the 15's have that punch and swagger and rule if you only want to play surf. However, if it's versatillity and bang for the buck your after and even a bit of street cred I'd take a look at a '73 and up Silver Face Twin! Yes it's high wattage but when ya want a little more gain ya have the added benefit of having the Volume and Master Volume set up. My 73 is a dream with the gain at 7 and the master volume at 7. It just starts to break up there. If I want it dirtier or cleaner I can go eather way with it without changing my volume. If your so inclined they come with tilt back legs too.
Averaging between 800 and 1100 bucks they're short money compared to alot of other rigs.

Cool This is my new Snowman, er...uh.. I mean Showman Laughing
Smile You guys are jealous, I know Laughing
Very Happy The guy I bought it from said it was Genuine Laughing
Razz Yup $1500 Laughing
Laughing LMAO ROTFL Puke Duh Suicide Cool

The Deadbeats

Showman isn't even written in cursive! I want someone to say: "That's fake! It doesn't have reverb!" Laughing

Sonichris
I also like to think that all early 60's fender equipment is happy to be playing surf music again. After all, its the music it was meant to play.

Abraham, what's the scoop on your Showman? Are you returning it to stock? Did you really pay $1500?

Don

I think those are just some photos he found, he didn't buy it. Laughing Nice touch using guitar knobs on the amp Wink

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
I think those are just some photos he found, he didn't buy it. :lol::

Ah...got me! (thank goodness)

DannySnyder
Nice touch using guitar knobs on the amp Wink

Gibson knobs, even.

Don

Razz Ding, Ding, Ding "And the winner is..........a Mr.Danny Snyder, come up and claim your prize" Laughing this is a Snowman, I mean Showman that Zak found on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-SHOWMAN-GUITAR-HEAD-vintage-1966-PROJECT_W0QQitemZ190261218390QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190261218390&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205 LMAO

Cool on the other hand, if you want a really expensive Dual Showman, here you are http://cgi.ebay.com/1966-Blackface-Fender-Dual-Showman-Amplifier-New-Caps_W0QQitemZ180272726412QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 ROTFL

The Deadbeats

Not fake just boooooogered!

I used the my showman last saturday... Should have used a Deluxe reverb instead, I could barely get it to 3.5 and folks looked like I was peeling their skin off... oh well F' em...

THe NEpTuNeS

surfneptune
I could barely get it to 3.5 and folks looked like I was peeling their skin off... oh well F' em...

Yeeah, preach it brother Tom. Twisted Evil

Yep. If they wanted to keep their skin they shouldn't have stood so close to the stage. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Hello everyone....after searching the Showman Forum I did not see a discussion about speakers. So, I have a quick question, is there a material difference in sound quality, tone and volume between a 1 x 15 cab vs a 2 x 15 cab. Is one or the other preferable. thanks

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 21:06:25

I have SF 68 Dual Showman, used it once, at a bigger club (El Mocambo). Sounds great, but realistically, outside of a bigger venue, it's just too loud. It's nice to know it's available for a big stage, but my main amp for club gigs is a Vibrolux Reverb, and for rehearsal, a Deluxe Reverb (all SF, now that I think about it), both of which are plenty loud for those purposes. I'll occasionally bring out a 64 Bassman for special occasions (the Great Lakes Surf Battle last year, for example) but otherwise, I prefer a combo so i don't have to lug around head, cab & reverb, as well as guitars, bag etc.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/rockinrio.delrosa

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/TheHighTides

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/The-Blue-Demons

Rio
I have SF 68 Dual Showman, used it once, at a bigger club (El Mocambo). Sounds great, but realistically, outside of a bigger venue, it's just too loud ... but otherwise, I prefer a combo so i don't have to lug around head, cab & reverb, as well as guitars, bag etc.

I have a '66 Dual Showman that sounds fantastic, but I feel the same way about preferring a combo. A combo is so much simpler and easier to manage. Still, my Deluxe Reverb has gotten drowned out twice by the rest of the band at smaller gigs where I mistakenly had thought that the Deluxe Reverb would have been sufficient. At those gigs, I wished that I had the Showman. I guess it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

My question is, there have been several comments about the Showman being too loud. Isn't that what the volume control is for? My Showman still sounds great with the volume between 2 and 3, which isn't that loud. Just wondering ...

I think many of us aren't happy with Showmen on the lower volume settings. Sounds kind of sterile, doesn't warm up until you start pushing it a bit, which may be well above the volume threshold of the smaller gigs.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
I think many of us aren't happy with Showmen on the lower volume settings. Sounds kind of sterile, doesn't warm up until you start pushing it a bit, which may be well above the volume threshold of the smaller gigs.

How does it respond to lower gain tubes in the pre-amp. I know that my Twin went from being almost unuseable at low volumes to being a pussycat when I put a 12AY7 in the first stage of the pre-amp.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Bump

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Loved my 65 Showman with a 2x12 cabinet... for playing outdoor gigs. Or as a bass head into a 2x10 ported Ampeg cabinet. Otherwise, it was insanely loud and while it did break up above 6, at that volume it was crazy loud. Was picky on pedals at lower volumes.

This was into Warehouse G12C speakers.

Sold both as part of my amp purge last year; after my Public Storage unit was broken into and I lost a 65 Bandmaster combo, I didn't want to own every 65 Fender amp...

Kudos to those who have one and can crank it and enjoy.

'65 Fender Tremolux, '74 Princeton; 77 Vibrolux Reverb; '81 Princeton Reverb
'65-66 Hilgen Basso Grande
Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. + 1x12 Cab
Various Telecasters and noise-making pedals
Farfisa Compact Duo

This was my bandmates amp, and my Jaguar. Fun combo, along with an outboard Fender reverb tank, of course. Picture taken at great show in downtown Fullerton, CA...a mere 46 years after the amp was made. Great sound, plenty loud, and plenty heavy. None

• Surfbeatnik
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next