Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 1031 32 Next

No, all mine expire

Mr. Mogwai

dp
anyone here ever use one of these?

Hundreds, when I were a lad. We called them "bread picks". Ya gotta carry a nail clipper to trim off the tabs though. I think we also used to apply Scotch Tape over the gap between the hook thingies, just to give it more structure.

I seem to recall a variation of them for some product packaging (other than bread bags) that had a solid part that was 1/4 inch longer. These were highly prized.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

dp
anyone here ever use one of these?

I used to use those to keep the strap on the guitar. They help prevent the strap from falling off.

Hello all. New member here.
I used Cool Pix for years, until I discovered V Picks.
Took awhile to wrap my head (and fingers) around them. But now I'll never go back.
If you haven't tried them...do yourself a favor!
http://www.v-picks.com/

Keeth Lawrence

Everly picks, the green ones (.88 mm?). Those are the picks with the little starburst shape stamped out in the center.

lawrencedesigns
Hello all. New member here.
I used Cool Pix for years, until I discovered V Picks.
Took awhile to wrap my head (and fingers) around them. But now I'll never go back.
If you haven't tried them...do yourself a favor!
http://www.v-picks.com/

They all look very interesting.
Which one did you find to be your favorite?

Bill, the Indentured Surf

I'm still working my way through them, but I am leaning toward the large light's...both rounded and pointed.
I came from using fairly light picks, so that has been the easiest transition. If you now use a heavier pick, try the large rounded first.

Keeth Lawrence

another vote for bread pics. I'd use dimes (as in money) on my bass too.. hold them right and they get a cool scraaaatch sound. Pets "love" it.

Currently i use these on my guitar (a jazz with chrome 12's):

They grip longer and better than tortex and i love the pointed tip.

Everly picks, the green ones (.88 mm?). Those are the picks with the little starburst shape stamped out in the center.

Try this link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Everly-Star-Grip-Guitar-Pick-Dozen-103304259-i1123813.gc

Jim Dunlop Nylon .60's.
Been using them since they came out. In the early 80's I think.

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

Last edited: Jun 08, 2008 10:44:14

I once bought a wholesale lot of over 1000 random picks, and ive just been using whatever i randomly grab out that box.

I used to like the thicker tortex, but now I only use Moshay's. They are hard to find. But I found a shop that had a bunch and I cleaned them out. The guy didn't realize how hard they were to get, he sold me like 20 picks for $5. Some folks are crazy what they are asking for these. I'm hoping that if more folks get hooked on these the MFG will start making more. Lets hope that it doesn't backfire.

Troy
I used to like the thicker tortex, but now I only use Moshay's. They are hard to find. But I found a shop that had a bunch and I cleaned them out. The guy didn't realize how hard they were to get, he sold me like 20 picks for $5. Some folks are crazy what they are asking for these. I'm hoping that if more folks get hooked on these the MFG will start making more. Lets hope that it doesn't backfire.

Good old Joe Moshay passed away a couple years ago...he used to make moshay picks by hand in his garage. I'm not sure what the status of moshay picks will be...maybe the family will sell the business to some manufacturer...or maybe they will sell their patents? I sure do hope that production resumes someday...they are the only pick I use!

so, definitely, get 'em while you can find them...

Brian
I do agree with WR that the Alien picks get a little too "flexy" when hot. Their "heavy" isn't quite as heavy as I would like either. I still like them though.

Shocked You guys are too hard core for me!

FWIW, Bill, I STILL keep that cats tongue pick ready to go, just in case...

The tone... What about the tone... Someone else brought it up too. I played Jazz 3s for years, reds prefered but blacks were okay. But when I got my offsets and started using roundwounds and pure nickels they just sounded muffled and thuddy with the jazz picks. The Dunlop Gels sound bright and sparkly in comparison so that's what use on my offsets. Green or purple depending on how much articulation I need. I'm much less precise with the greens on lead. I do always have a 2.0mm Gator Grip within reach though for those times when I really want snap the strings against the fingerboard...

I'm imprecise with the greens as well, I gig with orange tortexs.

The gels are, in my opinion, the best sounding picks out there. The greens sound best out of any of them to my ear.

Everybody in my band plays tortexs just because it is the easiest pick to play with. In the studio we all use something different.

dp
I have recently tried something a little different: CoolPicks "CatTongue"

the cat-tongue grip surface has a pretty cool feel, and they seem to grip the finger tip pretty good.
The nylon tip sounds good with decent response and resistance.

I recently found and bought one of those to try out. It's not bad. All he had were black ones, 0.88, and I find it just a little bit too soft. I'll keep an eye out for some heavier ones, because I do like the rough surface.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

I have used green Dunlop gels forever, although I used to have a stash of real tortoise shell picks, a long time ago, that I gave away when I thought I had become an exclusive fingerpicker. I ojust ordered a dozen Moshay mediums...I hope they are worth it--the gels are my fav...Ted Greene also endorses Moshay.

Seamoor Glas
The Iterators

seamoor
I just ordered a dozen Moshay mediums...I hope they are worth it...

Seamoor,
If it turns out that the Moshays don't work for you, hit me up.
I'll be glad to take 'em off your hands for you.
-dp

dp
If it turns out that the Moshays don't work for you, hit me up.
I'll be glad to take 'em off your hands for you.
-dp

We shall see. I never really cared for nylon picks, too smooth, and in my view they have a dampening effect on the attack--for electric guitar, I really love the green gels--but i have never found a flatpick I am entirely happy with for acoustic purposes--and since these picks were originally designed for mandolin, I am hoping this is where they will shine...

Seamoor Glas
The Iterators

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 1031 32 Next