Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 224 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next

This is my first post. Dunlop jazz3 or dunlop tortex sharp. 1.5mm.

Dunlop Jazz III XLs are definitely the best pick for me and I went through a lot of trials through different picks a few years back to arrive at this point. The Jazz III XL Ultex & Primetone-1.4mm versions are my absolute favs and the red standard ones are a distance 3rd place. Articulate, sharp, very little flex. Great for rhythm strums and tremolo picking leads.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016 17:11:03

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:37:47

devinomatic wrote:

I've been thrilled to death with these picks lately. They're the Eric Johnson Jazz III pick. They're nearly identical to your garden variety jazz pick, but they're nylon, and when they warm up a bit in your hand, they have a gummy and ever-so-slight flex to them. They glide over the strings with minimal effort, and the sharpness of the edge really grabs the strings when I tremolo pick.

I thought name on them was a gimmick, until I used them for a while. Now if I accidentally pick up a regular jazz pick, I really notice the difference.

Yip, I use these too. Not because of EJ, though I think he's a great player, just 'cause they work. The smaller size takes a bit of getting used to but I really couldn't go back to a "standard size" pick now. I've also persuaded both guitar playing brothers in law that this is the way to go.

I can't decide between these. I like them all for different reasons.

Fender 451 (shape) Medium, celluloid for playing bass with Ernie Ball Super Slinky Cobalt (round wound) strings. Nice bright "tick" when picking with right hand muting strings near bidge. I'll play both finger and picked styles.

Eric B. Johnson
Bass - Link

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017 15:42:36

Picked up a pack of these the other day. I'm pleased. They stay in my hand & are inexpensive. They're celluloid, so they sound & behave like Fender picks. Just cost less & stay put.

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

I'm just getting back into using a pick for the first time in years. When I did use picks, I used to used the Dunlop Little Stubby jazz pics. Now, I'm really enjoying the standard Fender Medium. I'll have to do some shopping around. There must be something better.

Patrick_Strain wrote:

I'm just getting back into using a pick for the first time in years. When I did use picks, I used to used the Dunlop Little Stubby jazz pics. Now, I'm really enjoying the standard Fender Medium. I'll have to do some shopping around. There must be something better.

I used to use little stubby picks and went to Fender picks after too. I eventually settled on Jazz III picks. It's a good compromise; small size but a bit more "normal" than stubby.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

I have a bag of several dozen various picks, some of which I pictured above, but I've gone full circle and switched back to the Fender celluloid medium and heavy picks, depending on the guitar I'm playing.

Heh heh, nice, Jake.

When I turned 40, the theme of my 'Over The Hill' bash, was 'Jurassic Clark'.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

That is awesome!

Herco Flex 50's for me. I am naturally left handed but play right handed and I have a hard time controlling a stiff or heavy pick.

I’m an RSI survivor and those little picks hurt my hand. These babies rule!

Daniel Deathtide

Right now these evh picks are my favorite pick
i've tried a lot of picks and these .060 nylon
made in the usa picks make playing easier for me.
these are the same picks eddie uses
The EVH Eddie Van Halen Premium Pick Tin Guitar Picks is a 12 pack of picks featuring the EVH logo and grips so you always have a firm hold. The included pick tin conveniently holds the picks plus you have to admit, it looks cool.

So, last year at NAMM I struck up a conversation with John Mick of Mick's Picks. Super nice guy, and he was kind enough to give me some of his "Orin" picks to try.

The Orins have a hole punched through them near the tip that gives extra flexibility while maintaining a relatively stiff grip. I liked the tone I was getting with the Orins, but they're a bit slick to hold for a sweaty type such as myself. I suggested adding some more holes to serve as a grip, and after various tests with a hole punch came up with this five hole "V-Grip" configuration, which John was kind enough to fabricate for me in three different thicknesses. He even put my "O-ZONE"/"V-GRIP" graphics on them.

A goodie bag of the new picks arrived earlier this week and I have to say, they came out even better than I expected - I'm really, really happy with them. Not only are they easy to hold, but the V-Grip makes the pick more flexible across the face, so I can bend it to increase or decrease the pick stiffness as needed. This is especially effective for me as I hold my pick between the tips of my thumb and first two fingers.

I'd been using Dunlop Nylon picks for over 20 years before I came across Mick's Picks at NAMM. Every so often I'd tried other picks but kept coming back to the Dunlops. For me, these new picks are the first ones that surpass them in control and tone.

A bit of a spiel, I know, but I'm really excited about these. Many thanks to John, and I'm proud to a Mick's Picks endorsee.

I'm not sure if he's going to make these a stock item, but if you're interested check them out at mickspicks.com FWIW, I have no financial interest here besides the package of picks he sent me.

EDIT - Danny posted a pic of the picks below...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018 01:24:13

Here's the picture of Mel's picks....

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Ha, thanks Danny, not sure why it didn't post.

Sorry, just dumb ol' Tortex .60 mm. Just like you I've tried everything else, the remnants are still here and I'll try them one more time, but in the end it's back to the orange picks. As a bonus easy to see when you drop 'em.

Goto Page: Previous 1 224 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next