Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next

MelWaldorf wrote:

Ha, thanks Danny, not sure why it didn't post.

Mel, the Hot Link button didn't work so I just downloaded the picture and used the Upload Photo function

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018 09:02:07

I use Cool Picks- thin... seems like a medium to me. First nylon I’ve ever liked.
Green Dunlap Gels. Closest sound to real Tort which is what the spotted one is made of. Gels break easily, but, sound very good.
Real Tort only for serious recording, and only if it’s gentle enough playing to not shatter the pick

Modulus Graphite for when I use a pick for bass. I have another pick for bass made of paper. It gets used a lot. Wish I could get more!

I think picks are really important for the sound/character of the the sound. Without the pick attack sound when it leav s the string, you guitar would sound like a flute!

I use George Dennis Sharp 1.30 picks. Are friend turned me on to them about a decade ago, and I bought a bag of them. They are a bit bigger than a Jazz III pick, and are easy to hold on to. I certainly agree with Dave’s comment about the importance of a pick’s place in your sound’s characteristics.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I use Dunlop Gators, sometimes the yellow Tortex. I find the Gators easier to maintain grip.

Tortex .88 is what I've been using lately although I've been experimenting with thinner ones and different materials

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

I'm was using Dunlop Small Stubby and Occasionally Jazz IIIs, but recently switched to Fred Kelly Baby Fat Polys. They grip better and don't fray as much around the edges.

abdul_tom wrote:

I'm was using Dunlop Small Stubby and Occasionally Jazz IIIs, but recently switched to Fred Kelly Baby Fat Polys. They grip better and don't fray as much around the edges.

I might have to give those a try.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Don't call me weird, but I really like Dunlop Jazz IIIs. The mellower tone and less harsh attack really works well when playing a less intense lead or even rhythm.
*edit- Hahaha I didn't look through the previous posts, and I realized that a lot of y'all like Jazz IIIs too, I thought I was the only one!

Gabe

Our beaches here get 3 foot tall waves, but it doesn't matter. You don't need to surf to play surf.

Last edited: Mar 09, 2019 22:39:38

youngreverb wrote:

Don't call me weird, but I really like Dunlop Jazz IIIs. The mellower tone and less harsh attack really works well when playing a less intense lead or even rhythm.
*edit- Hahaha I didn't look through the previous posts, and I realized that a lot of y'all like Jazz IIIs too, I thought I was the only one!

If you like Jazz IIIs, you’ll probably love a V-Picks Chicken Picker. Quite similar to a Jazz III, but easier to grip.

Acrylic picks anyone?

Those seem perfect for my furious picking. Long lasting, easy to grip, and stay pointy. But $5 each?!!!

Daniel Deathtide

The name says it all, lol. Althougb I'm a bass player by trade and don't use picks there.

Forever known as the luckiest man alive.

https://www.facebook.com/zachcarpentermusic/

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:45:43

ras1500 wrote:

It's not like this thread needed more input, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I had been using Fender medium picks for quite some time and was very satisfied with them. Within the past year, I got a sample pack of V-picks. Then later on added some Dunlops, Wegen and Gravity picks in assorted shapes and thicknesses. I was amazed as how the tone of the guitar can change just by changing the pick. Thinner picks are good for strumming and have a brighter tone, the thicker picks tend to darken the tone. Lately, I'm kind of partial to the V-pick Screamer model. It's 2.75 mm thick and triangular shaped with a very pronounced bevel.
http://v-picks.com/search.php?x=15&y=10&search_input=screamer&pick_cat=all

I just got a couple V Picks "Screamer" picks, then added a dot of Monster Grip on it. And HOLEEEY CRAP! What a difference!!!!

Tremolo picking is downright easy now, as are many other maneuvers. I love how thick it is, yet comes down to such a fine point. I played for an hour or so today and yesterday and so far the point has only gotten a little "rough" but not dulled. Which is a major step up since usually the point of the Cool Picks triangles I used to use disappear within one song.

I used three fingers to hold the pick, and have it mostly pointed exactly perpendicular to my thumbnail (like an extention of my first finger). I get arm pain if I use the two finger sideways method. Tremolo picking can use my whole arm, or just my little thumb muscles. There's very little wrist in my tremolo picking. This is all because my arms are damaged from a 90s bout with tendinitis (not from guitar luckily), so I really have no choice. Anyhow, with this pick the economy of movement is greatly enhanced. I'm so glad I took the chance, and honestly, V Picks deserves the high dollar price for now. They're a great invention!

Daniel Deathtide

I have been using these Fender 355 Shape Classic Celluloid Picks for about 2 years now. They are a real big, thick and triangle shaped. It takes a while to get use to them and they seem to last forever. I drum the strings anyway so don't need thin picks tremolo picking the usual Surf way. I like how they don't flex at all and I get better accent notes playing my way using this big pick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGFRJ2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=15

In fact I have gone through about 5 guitar makes and now only use a cheap 57 dollar guitar and strings because these picks work so good for me getting some serious surf tone. I play through a Avid Rack Eleven modeled sound anyway. It did take me a while to get use to these being they are so big, but love these picks, I wore out two picks so far since 2017. I seem to get the same sound with thin strings as heavier gages etc. It did take me a while to get use to and now can't use anything else.

I’ve tried quite a few. Coming from a Jazz background, I was into smaller picks, which seem to be popular among many Jazz players. When the Dunlop Jazz IIIs came out, I gravitated towards them and used them for decades. A few years back, I was given some Dunlop 351 sized picks, extra heavy in a yellow, polycarbonate material
which I never paid much attention to, until one night when I was playing in the dark and inadvertently fished one out of a box of picks on my coffee table. Wow! I loved the feel and the sound.

That spurred a spate of pick experimentation which led me to Delrin Jazz III+ picks, all sorts of 351s, and eventually into the hard stuff, V-Picks. I have some triangular V-Picks of medium and large size, including some which are 4mm thick. One V-Pick is similar to the classic 351 shape, but larger overall and 4mm thick. I’ve had a lot of fun with these. Anyone that wants to experiment with picks might consider giving Vinnie a call (at V-Picks) and checking out his amazing variety.

All this having been said, if you come to a Clutch Draggin’ & the Lug Nuts show, I will as likely as not be using a Fred Kelley Slick Pick, which is a thumb pick which can be grasped like a flat pick. It’s a fine compromise for someone like myself, whom moves fluidly between fingerstyle and flat picking. I do so much fingerstyle these days, that I use finger picking in all sorts of music, so unless I’m doing something which requires dedicated flat picking, I usually just grab the Slick Pick.

For the budget minded, the Dunlop 605 is an amazing, albeit small pick.

ive been using V Picks for years. Ill never go back to the "store brand" ones. models i use are. Bb, Venom, Hotter Tamale, fusion, Dimension Jr

SHADOWNIGHT5150 wrote:

ive been using V Picks for years. Ill never go back to the "store brand" ones. models i use are. Bb, Venom, Hotter Tamale, fusion, Dimension Jr

Wow I had no idea they had than many types. I will give him a call.

After two practices, the V-Pick Screamer I was using developed quite a rough edge, and towards the middle of the 2nd practice one tip kinda developed a small hook-like shape. It caught the string a couple times. I'd gonna call him up.

EDIT: Just spoke to Mrs. V and ended up getting some great counsel. I must say I was delighted to hear her shock at the fatness of my strings haha. I ended up completely splurging on four models, the Snake Pointed, Snake, Psycho Shredder, and a Psycho. The knife-edge bevel of the Screamer picks are too delicate for me I guess...

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: May 28, 2019 15:08:58

A little bit late but hey-

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

remora1 wrote:

Explains a lot. Smile

synchro wrote:

remora1 wrote:

Explains a lot. Smile

Aren't there some single socks and roach clips in there? :)

Rick

Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next