Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 222 23 24 25 2631 32 Next

I've been digging the HERCO Flex 75 lately for bass: the bumpy grip surface is tops!

WetBandit wrote:

I been using the Jim Dunlop Gels, red Heavies...anyone else like these ones? they sound great. and are cheap !

Yes. Once in a while I'll grab one of those , or the yellow X-H one.

Mostly though, I'm still favouring the Ultex 1.0 mm. It's the only pick I've bought a bag of.
I would like to get my hands on a Ultex® Jazz III XL. Like the Jazz III, but more the size of a standard pick. I find most Jazz IIIs to be too small.

The Graphtech TUSQ A3 is almost my second favourite pick. Very stiff but still very thin, and the raised lettering on both sides makes a good grip. A wee bit pointier than a standard.
Maybe it's the friction that puts me off from using it more. It sounds like glass when you drop it on a table.

I use these same picks on bass too. Them, or a Brain 1.30 mm, because I like the "cat's tongue" grip.

Sometimes though, I'll just look at the pile of picks and say "which one can I find the easiest on an oriental pattern rug?" Using that criteria, the Ultex picks are the hardest to find. Mad

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Last edited: Jul 09, 2015 23:02:16

Ah. Finally found a photo of the flag pick, exactly like the one my sister gave me. I thought it was just a souvenir thing, and I thanked her politely, but by golly, it's one of my top 5 favourite picks. It's about 2.0 mm thick, made of a polycarbonate, I believe. It has an edge beveled like a Dunlop "Big Stubby", but with no depression in the middle, and it's more pointy than the Big Stubby.
The image is buried inside the pick, so it doesn't wear off.
I found a store nearby that has them with the P.E.I. and Newfoundland & Labrador flags too. Sadly, they were out of the Nova Scotia flag version.
I like it for bass too.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015 22:00:23

Hooked on these at 16. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

Wow! One year has passed since I bought my gravity pick, it is barely showing any wear and still performing very well.

For anyone who is having difficulty holding a pick please read on.

Coming into playing surf music I had two problems, 1. I had been mainly finger picking and 2. I had injured my first finger tip in a railway sleeper accident and since found holding a pick awkward. At first I thought is was just a case of practice but as the years rolled by and picks were either involuntary repositioning themselves between my fingers or dropping to the ground I started losing faith in my abilities.

Along with all numerous free picks given to me by string traders I started looking for a special pick that might suit my inadequacies. I had gathered around 100 picks before finding The Gravity. They seem to work on the same principle as a glass suction cup, the more your fingers sweat the more suction and grip it produces. For me and my disability the Gravity Pick is the best on Earth, I'm a deadly accurate surf guitar player now! (grin).

I'm writing this because a seller mislaid my string order for a week and compensated me by sending a bunch of picks. After only a few seconds of using his picks I was back to playing like a 5 year old again..

Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015 12:21:50

Dunlop tortex .50mm red.

www.facebook.com/LosOxidadosWeb

Yelo

My band - www.facebook.com/LosOxidadosWeb

V-Picks

Large Pointed Ultra Lite Ruby Red

.8mm –
1 1/4″ tip to tip –
Symmetrical –
$4

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Has anyone ever tried Fender 451 picks? They are like standard celluloid (351) picks but smaller (apparently closer to a Jazz III pick. I love the sound of heavy Fender celluloid picks. I was playing a Jazz III pick yesterday and it was so easy to play fast with low tension; felt effortless! But it sounded so dull. Maybe the 451 pick will be a good compromise. They seem really hard to find though...

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Syndicateofsurf wrote:

V-Picks

Large Pointed Ultra Lite Ruby Red

.8mm –
1 1/4″ tip to tip –
Symmetrical –
$4

V-Picks are the original acrylic plectrum which Gravity Picks copied and perfected. I have one similar that grips well and performs very smoothly although it only gets used when I can't find my Gravity Razor these days. The Razor if ordered as "Master Class" has a coarsely hand filed edge which gives a kind of gritty slicing action feel.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015 14:05:22

After exhaustive R&D (ahem taking scissors to the picks and sharpening them on carpet) I came up with a sort of celluloid Jazz III. Worked pretty well but I think the stiffness and material of the Jazz III are major factors in the ease of playing. The pick did sound like I wanted it to but after switching back and forth between a normal pick and this one I felt no real improvement.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Just got these made. I've had a lot of picks made this past year... I am probably going to have another batch made with "The 'Verbpire Strikes Back" and "Return of the 'Verbi" mocked up just like the original logos.

My choice for picks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016 15:05:29

I go back and forth with these too. At times I find a standard fender medium pick to work due to using the picks flexibility for rhythm stuff yet I like the accuracy these Jazz pickups give me.

JCStilley wrote:

My choice for picks.

I've been using these CoolPick "CoolCell" 1mm celluloid picks.

My hands sweat a lot and either this coating works great or I am having a placebo response to their claims. They really seem to stay in place better.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016 16:03:12

I tried a lot of picks... thick, thin etc... A month ago, I recover an orange Dunlop Nylon one, very old and dirty. I was my one and only pick for almost 10 years when I was student and playing on an acoustic.
I felt at home immediatly.

http://noskons.bandcamp.com/

I've been switching between .88 Nylons, Ultex Jazz IIIs and some unknown gauge stainless steel picks by a brand called 'Asbo'. Very unique tone, bright and scratchy.

Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

The Atom Jacks

My absolute new favorite pick...

That notch at the top really does make a difference in being able to adjust positioning on the fly!

Not to mention, it helps me feel connected with my teenage roots in music. Wink

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I have yet to drop one of these - they wear out before I replace 'em. And as Chet said, with a thumb-pick, you can play with yourself.

"Hello Girls!"

mitchvreed wrote:

I've been using these CoolPick "CoolCell" 1mm celluloid picks.

My hands sweat a lot and either this coating works great or I am having a placebo response to their claims. They really seem to stay in place better.

Picked up a few of these from the shop the other day for exactly the oppostite reason - my hands get so dry & tips so smooth the pick wants to shift. They make 2 kinds, one has a gritty finish like if you roughed up a pick with a nail file, don't care for it. But these have a different effect and seem to help; especially healing from a splinter in the thumb. Have a couple of the bigger triangle things for wild rhythm & a couple regular size in .8mm, pretty nice. Missing something sound-wise though; they should do a Tortex with this compressible cell stuff on it.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

The new Herco Vintage '66 picks from Dunlop are fantastic, especially when they get worn in. The material is softer than the Flex nylon with a gentle snappy attack that reminds me of spring reverb.

Goto Page: Previous 1 222 23 24 25 2631 32 Next