Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink reasons surf shows are underattended, and what we can do ??

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

There was a bit of discussion on cowabunga and here talking about the
lack of turn out for some of the must see Kilaueas shows.
I thought I'd start a seperate thread about
why this happens, and what we can do to change this.

this is my post form Cowabunga

I'm sure this is a multi edged sword.
and has many reasons/excuses to why shows are't all well
attended.

I've seen shows with so so bands that have a great turn out
and Killer bands have bad turn outs.

The reasons off the top of my head are:
Bad promotion(always a problem for most surf bands)
Too many things to do in So. Cal.
Bands play often, can see them again another time
Bad area,(people don't like going to weird places) I go anywhere.
Picky surf fans - only like Certain bands.
Too far, some people don't wanna drive more than a few miles.
Some people are happy to listen to cds and not go to shows.
and the Classic one I hear alot.Can't go, I'm remodleing the
bathroom, i.e. which means: the wife won't let me go have fun.

Thats just a few I can think of as I just woke up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The reason that some shows are not well attended is that surf music, specifically instrumental surf music is not very popular.

ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

wow!! Ferenc your a genius Very Happy
I would have never ever thought of that one in 100 years Wink

Somebody give that guy a nobel peace prize or sumthin' Rolling Eyes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thankyou Jeff, I accept! Cheers

--ferenc

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

This topic has come up several times in the past on various places. I know from our experience in playing and seeing other bands, it is really difficult to attract a large group of people to shows if you are playing pure/trad surf. Probably not a popular opinion on this board, but when we play at our local club (Suzy's in Hermosa), the majority of people in attendance are our friends and not specifically surf music fans. Over the years, I've noticed three things that will hopefully get people to shows (and keep them coming back):
1. Fun recognizable songs to which the audience can connect.
2. Creating a rapport with the audience through jokes, banter and gimmicks.
3. Making it fun for people to be at the shows. People can really tell if the band is having fun and people like to see bands that are enjoying themselves as well.

It's too bad surf music doesn't have the draw that it does in some places (Europe for example) but if we want to draw more people into the fold, we'll need to make the music more "user friendly" for the outsider. I love it when a band plays some obscure tune, but let's face it, we are a incredibly small percentage of the potential fans for this music. With instrumental music in general, we need to do other things than just play the obscure stuff to appeal to people in the way that will make the shows better attended.

htoughts?
Ted from the Det's

I think that instro surf music is like jazz, blues and rockabilly in the sense that you can at times hear the best of 'em playing in a little bar to a handful of patrons. That can produce some magical moments for the lucky few in the audience, and also for the musicians. On the other hand, it's also nice to pack the house! Genre specific music will always be hit and miss when it comes to audience attendance. At least at the club level.

A concern I have is that live music in general is dying, what with all the techno noise that the kids seem to all be listening to these days. Hope I'm wrong.

PolloGuitar
The reason that some shows are not well attended is that surf music, specifically instrumental surf music is not very popular.

ferenc

Dang it! and here I only got into this for the money! Laughing

The Thunderchiefs

I know! Let's all start a letter writing campaign for Quentin Tarantino to make a sequel to Pulp Fiction! Laughing

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I don't want the bands changing to become "more popular". Then it is not surf music, at least to me.

The best we can do as fans is to get the word out. Through myspace, through web sites, through the Yahoo Groups, through radio (internet and traditional), word of mouth, email, etc. If the fickle public doesn't come then its really their loss and there isn't much we can do about it.

There is nothing like seeing a good live show from a good surf band. Why more people don't appreciate that is beyond me.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian I totally hear what you are saying and agree, but more than the general public. I'm talking about getting the surf fans that aren't at a specific show, there.
I know probably 50 people that I only see once a year or less.
that Live in So. Cal. are surf fans, but don't go to shows.
That just plain boggles my mind. How someone can live here, and not go to shows.
Yes it would be great to bring in new fans, and I do see a slow trickle in now and then. But lets rally the forces of the allready converted, and get them in the seats, or at least in the doors( They can stand if they want) Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

i think Surf needs to a mainstream push again. Everything goes in cycles and surf has not had a real comeback yet. The music is too good for this to never happen. We need to start at a grass roots level, and use the internet to get people hooked.

Here is the problem... this is one of the few surf boards that I have found on the net. Although new we only have 500 users. I can find a Commodore 64 Board with 10,000 users. Are you trying to tell me the Commodore still has more pull in the world than surf music? If so that is scary.

Surf needs a rejuvination, but somehow it needs to be appealing to the younger crowd. I think the skater/surfer scene needs to be become involved in order for it to become mainstream again.

krupanut
Dang it! and here I only got into this for the money! Laughing

You got that right!

Most surf musicians are also surf music fans, they know what they got themselves into.

ferenc

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

I absolutely agree with Waimea Bay. When I tell someone I play in a surf band, I invariably get two responses (based on demographic):
Old dude: You mean like Jan and Dean or the Beach Boys?
Young dude: You mean like Jack Johnson or Ben Harper?

How do we educate people and get them interested in surf music?

Tiki also has a great point regarding bringing in the 50 or so surf fans in LA to more shows but wouldn't it be great if there were more than 50 fans in LA? Bagiminy, there are 16 million people in the city and only 50 hard core fans?

Once again, I think it boils down to making surf more appealing and fun for people outside this core little bubble of us surf geeks. Don't get me wrong, I am not under the impression surf music will ever be huge but wouldn't it be great if when we call a club to book a gig that their response is "you guys play old school surf? kick ass! What Friday or Saturday night next month do want to book? How many drink tickets do you need? How about strippers?" Maybe not.

dan
A concern I have is that live music in general is dying, what with all the techno noise that the kids seem to all be listening to these days. Hope I'm wrong.

I think "live" techno noise is a rather large audience draw...especially in comparison to "instrumental surf" noise...

I do agree that surf music needs a rejuvenating kick in the butt... perhaps surf could be used in the opening sequence of a real popular violent crime film, or maybe it could be played more often at the skatepark...

or maybe it should just remain cool like it is?

at this point in this post, I no longer know what I am writing about...

thank you for your attention to this matter at this time,
-dp

Anyone here have any contact with NESMA - what's the consensus? Has it increased surf's popularity on the East coast?

What I'm getting at is, are surf bands better served by joining up collectively or working individually to increase they're own popularity. Arguments can be made for both.

One argument for a collective approach is that it's hard enough to put our spare time energy into being a band, let alone trying to single-handedly raise awareness of the surf genre. I wonder if there are small things we can share doing to promote ourselves.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

bigtikidude
I know probably 50 people that I only see once a year or less that Live in So. Cal. are surf fans, but don't go to shows.
...That just plain boggles my mind. How someone can live here, and not go to shows... lets rally the forces of the allready converted, and get them in the seats, or at least in the doors Wink

Hey! I think BTD is talking about ME in this post!

Wink
-dp

DP, actually No I wasn't thinking of you, because you do live a fair distance away. But people that I have met st shows over the 10 years I've been into surf.
But now that you mention it, yeah I'll include you into it too.
remember our bargain. at least 4 shows a year.
you've done 2. but you got 2 more to go, before the year ends.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I think part of the problem, if you go more towards the roots of it, is the lack of radio play that surf gets. I became a fan through Phil Dirt's show and I really doubt I would be here--let alone know what surf music is--if I hadn't first heard it there. And with so few radio stations playing surf, and not a single one (at least on AM/FM) playing really measurable amounts of the stuff, it's hard to find "recruits" who will catch interest just by flipping by on the dial. So at the bottom, the surf fanbase is small to begin with and really hard to build (unless someone personally takes up the task), and then you get into the stuff about geography and time restraints and blah blah blah.

Some random thoughts:

I think the perception of surf is still extremely square. I believe that Hendrix said: "you will never hear surf again", to mean: you will never regain your (musical) virginity. Declaring the end of square music.

There is a corny taint to the (surf music) label that makes it hard to get some folks to realize how intense and beautiful the music can be.

I guess we just keep pounding, write songs that push the genre, and make the shows fun for the audience.

Oh... and expose young kids to it every chance you get!!!.

Liking the name instro-rock better every day.

THe NEpTuNeS

It's not just the surf scene that's affected, there are 100's of great bands, in every genre and subgenre imaginable playing to small crowds every night of the week from coast to coast. From my experience, being good and tight is just not good enough anymore. You have to have a niche, a look, a something I can't describe. Like always, people have to be told what to like....that's where the radio comes into play. I just don't think the masses will ever come around where surf music is concerned. I think the lack of vocals might have a lot to do with it. I suppose some people out there might connect with a surf song or riff that's played during a scene in a film, but that will never lead to record sales or any noticeable swing in popularity. That being said, it seems every time you turn on the television, you hear a surf riff in a commercial, or in between scenes in a sitcom. So what gives? I think most just look at Surf as innocuous background music...very much like people do Jazz; and like Jazz, it's seems like it's a style of music you have to "get", and the biggest percentage of people out there never will. There are just too many elements of it that most people can not relate to i.e. musicianship, technique, tone etc. Face it, most people out there aren't as cool as we are....not as passionate about music as we are...they don't have the heart we have.....I think it's commendable. I'd rather play for 10 people who actually enjoy, are inspired by, or simply "get" what I'm doing versus 200 people who are only there for drink specials and "hooking up". With that being said, I totally understand what you guys are saying...when you have a house that's packed, everything seems to go better; smoother...and you can't beat the rush when a big crowd is connecting with you....no drug can give you that feeling. I also understand it's hard to maintain a healthy level of enthusiasm about what you're doing when you consistently aren't drawing crowds which usually means you're not getting booked again. I try to maintain a good attitude because it's music...it should fun! Everybody wants a larger audience for many reasons, but think of it like this next time you play a show to a small crowd: If there were 300 people here, there would most definitely be a group of frat boys screaming "Hey!....Play Pipeline!" between every song. They would ruin the show. Hell, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore, or exactly what point I'm trying to make....I guess I just wanted to vent a little myself because I can sense you guys' frustration and I'm right there with you. You guys probably think I'm insane.

Sorry for the ramblings...Keary

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next