Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink surf vocal bands

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

im looking for new vocal stuff to listen to...something like the old beach boys(surfin' safari/surfin' USA era) or the surfaris vocal songs. i tried jan and dean, but they only have the vocals and not the real surf guitar sound to back it, and the sunrays don't really suit my fancy. any suggestions?

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

The Astronauts sang over the "real surf guitar sound". You can find some good compilations of their stuff on the Bear Family records label.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian beat me to it, I was gonna say the Astronauts too. I think the Surfaris did a handful of vocals as well, such as "Surfer Joe" and others I've forgotten.

Hmm, you already mentioned the Surfaris yourself. Embarassed Apparently I'm just a complete moron. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Check out some of Bruce Johnston's side projects. He was the bass player of the Beach Boys. Also check the catolog of sundazed records. They have pretty much anything worthwhile for surf/drag race music with vocals. I also reccomend you find all of Jan & Dean's stuff. They are a magical group. Give them a chance to grow on you and you will grow musically.

do you want old stuff from the 60's or is new bands cool.
Check out the Volcanics. they do alot of vocals.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The Trashmen are from the midwest too!

KK

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

The Hondells! The lyrics aren't surf based, but the harmonies and hooks are there. I'll back everyone up on the Astronauts surf/hot rod vocal tunes. The Trashmen too. I like the Pyramids "Custom Caravan". Gary Usher penned tunes! Try The Sonics too...

Twisted Evil > Angel

Adding some to the stuff already mentioned:

The Rip Chords

Ronny and the Daytonas

The Superstocks

The Fantastic Baggys

The Knights

The Kickstands

and of course Annette's surf albums!

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

sundazed had some kingsmen (sp?) stuff on sale a while ago, more frat than surf but cool nonetheless.

btw, isn't this thread in the wrong forum?

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR

Yeah, I think so too. Although I know SurfGuitar101 is "Everything About Instro-Surf Music", I think there should be room for some vocal surf music discussions once in a while in the General Surf Music forum.

Also, I forgot to mention above that Dick Dale recorded quite a few really great surf/hot rod vocals in the 60s.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas

WR

Yeah, I think so too. Although I know SurfGuitar101 is "Everything About Instro-Surf Music", I think there should be room for some vocal surf music discussions once in a while in the General Surf Music forum.

this forum is actually for things relating to the site - this should have been in the general surfmusic forum. Im not saying that because Im a forum-herrobersturmbahnfuhrer who wants to put everything exactly where it belongs, but because my impression is that very few people read these site related forums, and surfmusic general seems to be the most read forum. poeple may miss out on some great info here.

no separate vocal forum afaic, cause quite often we're discussing bands that do both.

Also, I forgot to mention above that Dick Dale recorded quite a few really great surf/hot rod vocals in the 60s.

I think he had a great voice back then, even if I like his instrumentals way more. it degraded a bit over the years though.

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Yeah, the Trashmen!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hearteater
im looking for new vocal stuff to listen to...something like the old beach boys(surfin' safari/surfin' USA era) or the surfaris vocal songs. i tried jan and dean, but they only have the vocals and not the real surf guitar sound to back it, and the sunrays don't really suit my fancy. any suggestions?

I'll second 'Ronny And The Daytonas' and 'Gary Usher (Super Stocks, Hondells etc)'. Some of this may fall under Hot Rod music, but its the answer to your question.

Dick Dale and His Del-Tones. <This is sure to have 'real surf guitar to back it.'

Got reverb Cool

The Barracudas hit the scene around '79 with some great surf tunes. I love 'em...

"Surfers are Back"
"His last Summer"
"I wish it was 1965 again"

To name a few

Spanky

BAH HUMBUG!!! Wink

Bob S.

Bob

Twangler
The Barracudas hit the scene around '79 with some great surf tunes. I love 'em...

"Surfers are Back"
"His last Summer"
"I wish it was 1965 again"

To name a few

Spanky

I loved that record, I wore out the grooves on that LP back then. Great band!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Eddie & The Showmen's "Showmen Stomp" has a pretty cool surf-guitar backing.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

surf music had vocals Question Question Question

I guess you could call all that blabber on "Surfin' Bird" vocals, if you wanted too..."papa-oom-ma-mau-mau-papa-ooh-mau-mau-mau" etc...

"Anything too stupid to be said is sung" - Voltaire

-outsides-

Goto Page: 1 2 Next