Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The Official US 2008 Laika & The Cosmonauts Tour Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Here are some more shots....

• Surfbeatnik

<b>THANKS DUFF!</b> Great shots!
Why on earth were the drums mic'd for the Purple Orchid???

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

PolloGuitar
Why on earth were the drums mic'd for the Purple Orchid???

...for the film crew that was there!

...is there a thread out there already about how annoying all the video cameras can be at "intimate" venues?

As much as I love to see the YouTube videos of shows that I can't be at...it can totally distract from the beauty of actually "being there"...."live"..."in person"...

• Surfbeatnik

Crazeee... yeah the PO is too small for that stuff. Still, I can't wait to see the film when it comes out!
Duff, did you check out Janne's custom wood rim snare?

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Cool shots, Duff. Thanks!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Terrific photos, Tony! Thanks for posting them. It was a great
show last night. I'm glad that I got to see it and see some of our
fellow SG101er's. As usual, I was blown away by Messhugga
Beach Party. I'm so glad that I finally got to see Laika & the
Cosmonauts. The band's musicianship and the power of the
band was awesome, although some of their material just doesn't
do it for me. But I will say that many songs that I didn't care for
on the albums were much better live. Generally I'm not a fan
of keyboards, but it worked for me on quite a few of their tunes.
The band appeared to be exhausted by the time they wrapped
up their hourlong set. By the time they finished the last of their
3 multi-song encores (about 30 minutes later) they were totally
wiped-out. Their graciousness in coming back again and again
and again is much appreciated. The Purple Orchid was packed
and extremely rambuncious. It was nice to see so much enthusiasm
for the bands. I'll be back tonight for the 3 Balls of Fire and Billy
Blast-Offs Surf Rockets. Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Bob

Bob

Here are some of my thoughts re filming. These are solely my own thoughts & do not represent those of the producer of "Sound of The Surf."

A lot of thought was was put in regarding filming Laika & MBP at the Purple Orchid. I was personally was of the opinion it presented an opportunity to capture something special due to the intimate atmosphere of Purple Orchid. In the much larger picture, this would create an opportunity to share style of music and create interest with a much larger audience. A benefit of this could be more gigs & better pay days for the bands in the future. Not guaranteed but I hope so.

I feel fortunate to be employed to work on this project. When filming, I personally make every effort to be as unobtrusive as absolutely possible & and still get the best shots that I am assigned to. For this shoot, with the exception of the master shot, we used some newer high tech small HD cameras attached to booms to minimized any disruption to the viewing audience. I have no doubt a time or two I blocked a few views. I apologize for that. I was conscious of that and tried to keep it to an absolute minimum.

Unfortunately, there is very little film of the first wave bands from the early 60's. Looking at the larger picture, 50 years from now, people are going to be able to look back at the present days bands and have some excellent historical recordings due to our present technology.

Having said all that, I fully realize that some people really act like knuckleheads when they get a camera in their hands. A little common courtesy goes a long way. Those movie lights that are not normally in the Purple Orchid sure make everyones picture look good.

Great pics Duff. MBP & Laika put on a great show.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008 21:11:55

I was too busy dancing in one spot (can I reiterate....it was PACKED!) to get too misty-eyed but damn....there were some moments when I had a lump in my throat remembering back 14 years to the first time I saw Laika & the Cosmonauts. It was at the old Rhino Records store in Westwood. My beloved Don and I were there and they were one of the first "new" bands he had seen (this was before he saw the Mermen and had an epiphany). So many of the people there last night were also there that day in 1994. It just blew my mind.
Another one of the bands from those days was the Halibuts and I was flashing on how many great shows we shared at the old Toes Tavern in Redondo Beach. Well last night, there were two Halibuts in the house, the aforementioned Pete Curry and their drummer Randy....whose face was lit up like a Xmas tree. He seemed to know every song. I leaned over to him at one point and said, "you know....this is very much like a Halibuts reunion show". He smiled. Planting the seed. You just never know.
RIP Laika and the boys from Finland. I will hold you in my heart forever.

What a great show!

MBP...what a fun, talented band! nice job lady and gents. I love schtick! oy, my head today...

Laika, bittersweet for me. I remember hearing them on Jim Dunfrunds KXLU surfwave show hoping to see them. well, I got to in the early 90's (the Insects toured and played SXSW with them) mid 90's and last night.

Got to have dinner with Pete Curry last night with the boys in the band at the next table. cool!

Even though I love Dusty like a brother, Janne will always be my favorite Surf drummer.

Mission Impossible
The Fugitive
Baja
WOW!

Lots of memories came flooding back... from calling in to Jim's show to get a pre-release copy of Instruments of Terror to opening for them at Jacks Sugar Shack and more. backstage, the Hunting Cads drum seat was offered to me from Josh Agle. being in a then new relationship that spawned two beautiful boys, now 8 and 10! man, where has the time gone?

Great show last night boys and thanks for all of the great memories!

Jeff Utterback

Show pics 10/16/08 at The Rickshaw, San Francisco

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95601762@N00/sets/72157608154076370/

One of the things that struck me was the applause of recognition and tribute that Laika&TCs got coming out on stage. I'm sure they are getting the same welcome at their other shows. Being 20year influencial internationally-reknown veterans of the Surf/Instro genre, this was very cool to see. Longtime fans and Surf/Instro band members past and present in attendance.

Thanks for the pics Dave!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian asked me to repost my initial message, so here goes. It was originally posted last Friday...

I just got home from the first US gig for Laika & The Cosmonauts,
playing in San Francisco last night on their farewell tour.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite jet lag, they were spectacular.
Go see them if they come ANYWHERE close to where you live.

They will be missed. One of the best live acts on the planet.

Thank you gentlemen for coming to the US one last time. It was nice to
say "hello" again.

Stretch Riedle

P.S. my former band, THE SUB-MERSIANS, were all there!!

<strong><em>STRETCH</em></strong>

WOW!! The San Diego show was an utter blast. Laika was just stellar. They've easily been my favorite instrumental band since I first heard them in '95 and it was just such an honor to not only see them live, but to be able to share the bill with them.

They played probably an hour and a half with three encores! From what I've read in this thread the setlist was probably really close to what others have reported. Although the club wasn't packed, the crowd was decent for a Sunday night in San Diego. They played tunes spanning there entire career though I don't remember them playing anything off of Local Warming.

All in all they played the majority of the tunes in a slow tempo (much slower than they played on Laika Sex Machine, which I was really happy to see because I always thought that the songs were a little too fast on that album.

The highlight of the night for me was Fadeaway. Slow and haunting. Although Mikko's onstage persona is really quiet and closed, he plays with such unbelievable intensity. You can tell that he puts all of his self into every single note. Just incredible.

Beyond that, the guys are super humble, nice, and very down to earth. I can't thank them enough for coming down to San Diego on their final tour. They will be missed. Last night was definitely another highlight for the memory bank for me. I won't forget that one. Here are a few pics:

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

sadly no Bahareeba last night,
I was so tired I didn't notice it,
But Kristena said some of you were yelling for it,
and they didn't do it,
they played it on Fri. at Purple Orchid.
I'm glad I went,to see them again,
they are good musicians.
But if they were a local band, I wouldn't go to every show,

But I liked Meshugga Beach party on Fri. and Secret Samurai on sun better.
call me crazy.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
they are good musicians.

call me crazy.
Wink

Rolling Eyes

Laika is the BEST!

Science friction burns my fingers.

tonybologna

bigtikidude
they are good musicians.

call me crazy.
Wink

Rolling Eyes

Laika is the BEST!

uh if you say so,
but I would say Satan's Pilgrims for old school style,
or Slacktone for modern,
but thats just me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Laughing What ever you say, oh surf guru!

hey I went to 2 of the 3 so. cal. Laika shows,
saw them on 2 previous tours, and
have all their cds.
including the 2 from the 80's that alot of people don't know about.
great band for sure,.
the best?
well, personal tastes I guess?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Laughing Dude (of the big tiki variety), calm down. No need for comparison.

Of course it's personal taste! Seeing Laika and the Cosmonauts filled a little void in my life, and their performance is probably one of the most memorable "surf" shows I'll ever go to (although they lean more euro-intro stylee). I'm just saying that they are an amazing band.

The point is: EVERYONE GO SEE THESE GUYS.

Hi!
First time I write in this forum, but I have visited this great website for checking some info many times. Excuse my English, it's not as good as I would like.
It is really good hearing everything is going well with Laika shows in US. I booked them in Madrid, Spain (their first and last time in Madrid) a month ago. Their show was amazing, incredible instrumental sound, fantastic musicians, an unforgettable time. It is a pitty knowing I'm not going to see them again but I am enjoying reading your opinions and seing your pics.
Laika have been playing for 20 years (same line up!!), they are the oldest instro band in Europe nowadays. But in Spain, not as far from Finland as USA, they are not well known. Many people went to see them at Surforama Festival in Madrid without knowing much about them. And everybody loves them.
Their first two albums, "C'mon do the Laika" and "Surfs you right" are fantastic and the nearest to surf music they have ever played, but after that they looked for new sounds, new feelings, and they found their own way doing such incredible records as "Instruments of terror" or "The amazing colossal band".
I really would like being in USA and see them again one more time at least.
Very nice people too.
Long life Laika & the Cosmonausts!!

Diego R.J.

www.rtve.es/podcast/radio-3/el-sotano/

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next