Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The Official US 2008 Laika & The Cosmonauts Tour Thread

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Please use this thread to post reports, reviews, and photos for Laika & The Cosmonauts farewell tour!

And due to bumbling moderator activity Embarassed I accidently deleted Stretch's thread. Please reply to this thread Stretch. Thanks!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Jun 06, 2009 13:25:30

Shocked Guitar Shocked

What a fantastic show in San Francsco. I don't know where to begin, as my mind is still all a jumble trying to piece together all the ways in which Laika took me to school.

First up was the Go Going Gone girls. Now this is a great concept, 3 girl singers complete with Bouffant hairdos. singing 3 classic 60's rave up girl group tunes like Wild Man, and "I sold my Heart to the Junk Man". The band featured Klas Fluoride formerly bassist of the DK's. Unfortunately.....the execution did not do justice to the concept. I think they need a lot more practice, especially the singers. though the band was quite "loose" too. I hope they pull it together because it is a great idea and there's lots of good songs they could breathe life into again.

Next up were our own Pollo Del Mar. What can I say about them that hasn't been said before? They played a great set and the crowd seemed to really eat it up. They make a fine complement to L&TC as they both eschew the conventions of surf and utilize a lot of sound effects. I'd love to hear PDM with a keyboardist like Matti from L&TC.

So now to L&TC. If you know the band you know they are more of a Euro style instro band, though they played a few surf standards. Sorry Jeff, but very little reverb, but I didn't miss it at all. In fact I'm starting to wonder if every song I play has to be dripping wet Shocked I have to say it's so apparent when a band has 1000's of shows under it's belt and plays with complete confidence. It's actually a rare thing for the instro fan to see. Maybe LSJ and probably few others. What I was struck most by was no matter how fast or busy the songs got, there was always clarity in the arrangements and all the transitions were completely fluid. Janne on drums is a master, up in Dusty territory, weaving different tempos and rhythms together in and out, sometimes merely a few bars, but always rock solid never a doubt. The sound of the guitars and keyboard were perfectly balanced, despite where the lead was. And what tones, Mikko must have had 7 pedals in front of him and made the most of them, Yet I never felt they overwhelmed the music or detracted from the lead. Same with the farfisa, what a tone! Cuts through perfectly but none of the harshness many garage band organs get. Matti was constantly flipping his strat behind his back, playing an organ lead then swinging it around again without missing a beat - so cool!

I could go on and on, but I'm gong to see them again tonight so maybe I'll continue later on. All I have to say is you have to see these guys, truly a show to remember.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Thanks for the reports!
Was Mikko playing the Jazzmaster or the Squier Strat, or something else?

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

The lead guitarist played a sunburst strat the whole night through. The organist used what looked like a surf green strat when he wasn't playing the farfisa.

I had a great time last night. I've been wanting to see these guys since the mid-'90s, and I'm so grateful to finally have had the chance. And they delivered in every way - great songs of course, played with lot's of energy, very confident and tight playing, and cool and interesting tones you don't often hear at a surf gig.

Anyone know what amp the lead guitarist used? I've never seen one like that before, but his sound and playing was impeccable. And I was really impressed with how precise and clean the rhythm playing was on their faster songs. The crowd was really feeding off of the energy and giving it right back to them. I wish I could see these guys again this weekend.

This was my first time at the Rickshaw, and it is a nice venue. The parking was easy, lot's of nice restaurants within walking distance, and a fun and friendly crowd. Good job and thanks to everyone involved!

Wow, incredible show, can't describe how great it was.
My life is now complete.

Laika blew my mind and was everything I hoped for. Great musicians, great songs, great energy. My friends and I got to dance around all night, which was great. I think we pissed of a few of the crowd members who were SITTING ON THE FLOOR! What the hell was that?!!?

Man, I'm still decompressing after this show.

I was such a fanboy, got all the members signatures and everything! Liva La Laika!

Science friction burns my fingers.

Oh, not to derail the thread - but I agree with Danny about the Go Going Gone girls. Great idea, but needs a little more practice on the execution.

I've actually really been getting into the Girl Group sound lately. I finally got around to getting the Rhino "Girl Group Sounds Lost & Found" box set a month or two back and it has quickly become one of my favorite box sets of all time.

So, not knowing who the first act on the bill was, I was excited when I saw these girls with beehive hairdos take the stage. I appreciated their enthusiasm and enjoyed the set, but they do need some more work to fully deliver on the concept. In all fairness, it was mentioned that one of the girls did have laryngitis last night. I hope they stick with it, as I'd like to see them again in the future.

It was a sentimental performance seeing them for the last time. I had seen them two other times - the San Fran Warfield and Stretch's Record Store.
This show was their best IMHO, because it was the right crowd in the right club setting.

They are comrades of 20years and all stellar instrumentalists and arrangers.
Their "Euro" flair with the Finnish "marching" style is wonderfully refreshing. They satisfied all fans' desires. They were tight and played all the tunes you love of theirs. They did Laika takes on standards like Baja.
Janne Haavisto is the Dusty Watson of Finland. Lots of energy. There were young people doing the hyper-Twist mosh pit and some jumpstyle.

I'm so glad I didn't miss this tour.
Everyone, go see 'em!

-bIGwAvE Dave
www.myspace.com/theebigwavedave

00Diablo
Oh, not to derail the thread - but I agree with Danny about the Go Going Gone girls. Great idea, but needs a little more practice on the execution.

I've actually really been getting into the Girl Group sound lately. I finally got around to getting the Rhino "Girl Group Sounds Lost & Found" box set a month or two back and it has quickly become one of my favorite box sets of all time.

Agreed.
On the heels of Northern Soul, the girl group sound happens to very HOT in the underground right now. You can get the DJ dance shows in several of the San Fran clubs in the Mission throughout the month, complete with a well-heeled booted tribal dancing audience and B/W videos on the wall of groups like The Tammys. "Egyptian Shumba" is like THE number 1 girl group song right now. Although the G4 have been performing for some time, I agree that their performance was too "loose" and needs some tightening. Otherwise, its a fun kitchy act. They did a pretty good french-sung version of the April March tune, Laisse Tomber Les Filles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRsdRTQE6s

Shimmy away!
-bIGwAvE Dave
http://www.myspace.com/theebigwavedave

Laika & The Cosmonauts
Mikko:
Matti, Tom & Janne:
The brilliant Janne Haavisto:
Source of the Laika sound:
And one for the home team: Pollo del Mar:

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

It was a great night. I don't know what else to say. It was perfect.

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

DannySnyder
Shocked Guitar Shocked

First up was the Go Going Gone girls. Now this is a great concept, 3 girl singers complete with Bouffant hairdos. singing 3 classic 60's rave up girl group tunes like Wild Man, and "I sold my Heart to the Junk Man". The band featured Klas Fluoride formerly bassist of the DK's. Unfortunately.....the execution did not do justice to the concept. I think they need a lot more practice, especially the singers. though the band was quite "loose" too. I hope they pull it together because it is a great idea and there's lots of good songs they could breathe life into again.

Here's Klaus Floride from the show with the G4:

Go Going Gone Girls

Some cool tributing for the attending performers:
Laika and The Cosmonauts played Fugitive. Pollo Del Mar/Frankie&PoolBoys played Moon Over Marin. Klaus Floride played with the Go Going Gone Girls. I played with my camera ;-P

BW Dave

Show pics 10/16/08 at The Rickshaw, San Francisco

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95601762@N00/sets/72157608154076370/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008 10:23:02

I'm uploading a video from last night, but it's taking a long time. I'll probably have to leave for SoCal before it's done and I have a link. Just search youtube for Laika and the Cosmonauts NY'79

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAu-L9pafo0

I guess I was involved in the hyper-twist moshpit! Laughing

Science friction burns my fingers.

I told you guys Janne was the man!

Did they play "Night in Tunesia"?

See you all tonight! I'm swingin' by Pete Curry's later to grab him and hit the show!

Jeff Utterback

leaving soon,
can't wait.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

i've only heard bits and pieces of laika and the cosmonauts tunes and want to familiarize myself with their material before seeing them next week. these are my choices off itunes......'cosmopolis', 'local warning' or 'laika sex machine live'................which one should i choose?

thanks

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing
i've only heard bits and pieces of laika and the cosmonauts tunes and want to familiarize myself with their material before seeing them next week. these are my choices off itunes......'cosmopolis', 'local warning' or 'laika sex machine live'................which one should i choose?

thanks

Out of those three, definitely 'Cosmopolis' because it's a best of and it has the most variety.

The best thing to do would be to get:
Amazing Colossal Band
Instruments of Terror
and Zero Gravity
Those three are their best CDs IMO.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

The new compilation CD is a really good overview, start with that.

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

WOW!

That had to be one of the best live shows I have ever been to...last night at the Purple Orchid in El Segundo!

Meshugga Beach Party and Laika and the Cosmonauts!....Front row seats too!

Here is one of my favorite shots from last night

The only thing missing was..."Night in Tunisia"...I yelled for it...Jeff Utterback yelled for it....but, alas...they did not play it. Sad

That said, these guys are amazing musicians and very accomodating for all of the encores requested....

• Surfbeatnik
Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next