Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink The surfguitar101 2008 convention thread!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 712 13 Next

Tuck!!!!

Maui (AquaSonics) & Dave ( Insect Surfers)

Maui,
thanks for all the pics, they look great.

but you dont have to do 1 per post,
you can do as many as you want in one post.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

eddiekatcher
Hey would somebody back east call my boss and tell him I'm not coming back...................ed

I dont know how I missed this,
but that is too funny.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I know folks have thought this ..(but I want to throw it out there just because I can't contain myself until next year)...what is the likelihood of making this a biannual event? Shocked

One in summer and the other in winter/spring (Feb)? Monkey

I mean, folks probably couldn't make it for a variety of reasons and this would be cool to have (like the NAMM show) so that folks don't feel it's all or nothing. I think the draw/crowds would be bigger and really keep the surf torch lit thorughout the year and getting more publicity/promotion all the while. Hmmm

This would definitely help get Joe Public's head around the fact that surf/instro music embodies so many beautiful musical elements and styles that contribute and summate to a heavenly genre--much like different surf/instro bands are like many facets that together create a brilliant, beautiful and fiery diamond. Thumbs Up

machturtle
.....I gifted Eddie with a copy of the Mermen's "Food For Other Fish". Uh oh....NOW look out Wink I said to him "this will f**king change your life!"

Big props go out to BTD Jeff Hansen for pulling this all together. He was getting too stressed and he just needs to chill today. Good job, bro.

A Kodak moment.....me and Dynotone Rob kissed and made up Smile It's alllll good.....

wow
thats so cool, I can't wait to hear what Eddie thinks of it.

Thank you so much, Jamie, but its Hanson, Wink

and I wish I could have seen you and Rob making out.
Shocked
oh sorry making up.
ha ha ha.
sorry had to go there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ruhar

kick_the_reverb
BTW, I forgot to add that DP rocked on the bass, I really enjoyed watching him play.
Thanks for the compliments everyone.
I got one more question - where are all the pics people are uplaoding? is there a separate thread?
Ran

Ran, I used a link to point people to my photos a few pages back on this thread. I have some great ones of you, Danny, Norm and John Paul

Thanks! found em.
Thanks for everyone else that posted pics.

The Scimitars

DGG
I know folks have thought this ..(but I want to throw it out there just because I can't contain myself until next year)...what is the likelihood of making this a biannual event? Shocked

One in summer and the other in winter/spring (Feb)? Monkey

I mean, folks probably couldn't make it for a variety of reasons and this would be cool to have (like the NAMM show) so that folks don't feel it's all or nothing. I think the draw/crowds would be bigger and really keep the surf torch lit thorughout the year and getting more publicity/promotion all the while. Hmmm

This would definitely help get Joe Public's head around the fact that surf/instro music embodies so many beautiful musical elements and styles that contribute and summate to a heavenly genre--much like different surf/instro bands are like many facets that together create a brilliant, beautiful and fiery diamond. Thumbs Up

Dario,
well you have to consider that there are other big weekends of cool music all ready.
Deke Dickerson always does the guitar Geek fest on the fri or Sat. of the Namm show weekend. that is a must see show.
there are always usually touring bands coming thru town during the summer.
Linda from the surf museum always has the 3 big pier shows.

also I think she is planning a big tribute show to DD. so that will prob be off the hook.

so (IF) I am the one to do the sg101 event,
I would say that once a year is it for me, ha ha ha.
Like Warren said It prob. took a few weeks off the end of my life.
I have been planning this since Feb. or March.

its fun to see shows like this.
but they are way way more work than just a 2 or 3 band bar show.
I usually like to see a San Diego show, LA show, and then HB surf Museum show, and thats as good as a big all day long show.

I was a bit bummed that some people showed up late, left early,
or did not stay for the later night show,
but I also know that some people always have other stuff to do,
and or just cannot take more than 3 hours of music, and hit the wall.

I would think that a once a year big event would be plenty.
as a sg101 related event that is.

but there are usually other big shows, Linda had a big B-day show at the Gaslamp in Long beach, in Feb. that was Noon to 9 pm.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On Sunday there was a moment during the Madeira's set. I was sitting next to my new best friend Danny Snyder on my right, Sarah and BTD on my left, and Baja Marty in front of us. We were right in front of the stage, trying to fit into the 5 feet of shade to get out of the Huntington Beach sun. The Madeira were closing with The Intruder (and just freaking NAILING THE CRAP OUT OF IT), Marty was going nuts, everyone was smiling and bobbing along, I was on the beach with such beautiful scenery all around, it was just the coolest thing ever. I really felt something very special and moving there. Thanks to all of you. You are the best.

Most of my pics are from the Sunday show, not from the actual convention and I haven't had a chance to process them yet, but when I read Brian's post I knew I had ALMOST captured Brian's cool moment. The two pics below are just before BTD joined Brian and Danny and then I came over right after that. The first pic is Brian taking a pic of The Madeira. Danny was drumming along with the band in the second pic.

I had a really great time this weekend and enjoyed meeting everyone and listening to hours upon hours of incredible music: Friday in San Diego, at the convention Saturday and on the beach Sunday. The surf community is a great group of folks and I'm blessed to have been welcomed into it.

And a really special thanks to BTD for being willing to haul me around Hollywood on his day off when I'm confident he'd have rather been doing....well, just about anything!

Sarah Fromtennessee
(I'm thinking of legally changing my last name....)

Hey Welcome to SG101 Sarah,
I know you have been registered here for awhile
but Cheers to your 1st post.
Cheers

and thanks for coming out for this huge weekend or reverb and surf show madness. sorry if it was a bit much for you.
Wink
but I just had to soak it all in.
and I think you held up pretty well.

and it was no trouble or problem driving you around.
Venice,Malibu,Beverly Hills, Hollywood,
I hope you dug it, and the views.
as everything I showed you are some of my Fav things about those areas.

Hope you come back some day, and I will definitely come down south to see you and the Clarkston surf fest.

it was great to finally meet you in person,
and hang out so much.
your really great.

p.s. Oh , I would have loved to have been at the filming of Madeira and Surfaris studio stuff for the "sound of surf" documentary on Mon.
But I was beat and it was actually nice to get away form live music and get out on the road and get some fresh air.
Shocked
shocking huh?
even BTD has his limits to too much surf music.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BillyBlastOff

Stormtiger
Hey Billy, how is your Twin doing after Patrick killed it. Maybe it was just in shock.

That's a good question! Haven't had time to check it out yet. I'm leavin' for Ireland this Wednesday for 10 days! Stoked!
I fly back on the 16th, and play at the HB museum on the 17th.
I'll kiss me a barney stone and pray that me amp works just fine for the museum my laddie.
Luck of the Irish you know. Cheers
B-B-O

I just plugged in my Twin to check it out.
I had to chuckle. The Master Volume knob was turned all the way down.
The amp sounds better than ever. Too funny. It must be me lucky charms............ Mr. Green

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

good to hear that Billy
you lucky bastard.
too bad that JR wasn't so Lucky.
Rolling Eyes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BillyBlastOff

BillyBlastOff

Stormtiger
Hey Billy, how is your Twin doing after Patrick killed it. Maybe it was just in shock.

That's a good question! Haven't had time to check it out yet. I'm leavin' for Ireland this Wednesday for 10 days! Stoked!
I fly back on the 16th, and play at the HB museum on the 17th.
I'll kiss me a barney stone and pray that me amp works just fine for the museum my laddie.
Luck of the Irish you know. Cheers
B-B-O

I just plugged in my Twin to check it out.
I had to chuckle. The Master Volume knob was turned all the way down.
The amp sounds better than ever. Too funny. It must be me lucky charms............ Mr. Green

I can assure you that wasn't the problem at the time Billy, as I was trying to help Patrick and we turned all the knobs at one point or another. We'll just have to chalk it up to Murphy's law. Glad there's no problem and thanks again. See you in October!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Cool to see the photos starting to roll in. Here are some random anecdotes and musings just because I've been thinking about the weekend all day. Just something to give a sense to those who couldn't make it:

It's really bizarre being publicly identified as "wooza." Wooza is really the name of a fictitious janitor character my friends and I created in an inside joke back in middle school. I guess when I signed up on the site I just never really thought about the fact I might meet anyone who would know me as such. Laughing

Steve-o was wearing really cool shoes during the Secret Samurai's set. They were black with what looked like red leopard print velvet on them. Really pimpin'. When he was putting them on outside the had giant gaping holes in his socks. I just thought that was pretty funny.

Screw the traffic through the greater Los Angeles area. For that matter, screw the greater Los Angeles area. Stir the Pot

Norm of the Ghastly Ones is a really cool guy. (Does he always wear that top hat? Awesome.) He just exudes charisma and is totally nice. I talked to him a bit because I felt as the representative member of the Deadbeats I should pay my dues. I told him that we're essentially Ghastly Ones ripoffs and he seemed really excited about it. He gave me some stickers in return. He was like Santa Claus handing those things out to everybody.

Everyone was really excited to see Brian there this weekend. People kept putting him on the spot in public. It was a good couple days of making Brian uncomfortable. Wink

It was hot as balls inside Suzy's. Staying in to listen to the music required true dedication.

Danny grabbed me and pushed me to the front of the stage right before Ivan's solo in Rogue Wave (I'm assuming) so I could see it happen. Holy crap. How many notes does Ivan hit in the span of a couple seconds in that solo? Shocked

I'm sooo bummed I couldn't make it to see the Madeira play their private "Sound of the Surf" set, but thanks Ivan for the offer. But I'm reassured to hear they did in fact get their time in the spotlight. During the convention the cameras were only ever rolling while Eddie Bertrand, Paul Johnson and/or the Eliminators were playing. They're all deserving, but I'll admit I wasn't okay with the skewed attention they were getting.

I really liked Dave Arnson's "Pluto: Never Forget" T-shirt... That is all.

Many thanks to Ivan for the "Saracen" dedication at the pier show. How weird to get awkward haphazard applause from the crowd. Laughing And for the kind words, again, thanks. Oh no, now I have a hype to live up to! Shocked
And also thanks for the breakneck lesson. I've been working on it!

It's been said so many times thus far, but still worth repeating: what an awesome time!

Smile Sounds like it was a really fun time Ben. I only feel sad for Jonathan for not going Laughing . Tell us all about your weekend this coming saturday Very Happy

The Deadbeats

Zanti, tell Jonathon that I'll have all you guys over to watch "the art of surf drumming" dvd soon.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

We'll bring our own copy! I bought one for the guys to fight over! Laughing

Laughing I know for a fact that Franky and Jonathan are Feining for a fix to see this DVD. I wanna watch it to Cool

The Deadbeats

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 712 13 Next