Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 220 21 22 23 24118 119 Next

Won two LPs on eBay recently (haven't got them yet though):

Surfer's Mood Vol. 1 - V/A compilation

the pagents-enchanted surf
the s'quires-green surf
the expresso's-teenage express
the expresso's-wandering
gene gray-surfer's mood
the illusions-nite mare
the enchanters-tum-tiki
dick dale & the del tones-jungle fever
baymen-daybreak
tim tam & the turn-ons-siboney
the king pins-94 second surf
kenny & the fiends-moon shot
kenny the sultans-with vigor
the nodeans-beach girl
the debionaires-high wall
the sharks-big surf

Volumes 2-4 are pretty easy to find but not this first volume. Might have something to do with the inclusion of the Dick Dale track and the fact that the comp is a bootleg.

The New Dimensions - Surf 'n Bongos

Mono pressing opposed to Sundazed "Best Of" CD which is stereo. The original LP also have a couple of tracks not on the CD. Now I "only" need to score "Deuces and Eigths" to complete the New Dimensions' 3 album catalogue.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Wow the Elusive Surfers Mood Vol 1.
I have the other 3. and my Buddy Marty says I can borrow his Vol 1 to make a cdr.

I picked up a really shabby copy of that New Dimensions about a year back. its all scratched to hell and the cover is splitting, but I payed 2 bucks for it. I have one other, but can't remember now, But its not Deuces and Eights, so now I know which one i need to look for.

Cool finds for sure Klas.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Went to Amoeba this afternoon and bought the following:

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I just got the Surfites "Big Pounder", and The Sidemen "Go Too
Far" from Double Crown. Both are spectacular!!! If you haven't
done so already, pick them up now!!!

Rock Thumbs Up Guitar

Bob

Bob

I got Los Twang! Marvels' latest CD a few weeks ago, and I LOVE it. It's called "Prueba De Fuego":

It's a compilation of sorts. It includes four of five songs from their (rare) debut EP, and five songs from their amazing full-length debut CD "Guitars in Orbit" (which I reviewed very favorably on SG101 a year ago or so). There are some true diamonds among those nine tracks (such as the amazing Runaway From Zardoz, Rancho Cucamonga, Phantom of the Highway, and Rippin' Waves). But the main action for me is with five new tracks, especially recorded for this release. This CD was released for Los Twang! Marvels Mexican tour last year, so the new tracks tend heavily towards the Latin sounds. The traditional (Mexican?) "Samba Estrella" features some jaw-dropping playing with an infectiously playful attitude - a song so full of joy it's absolutely astonishing. There's also the cover of the old jazz standard "Brasil", in this case borrowing a bit from the Shadows '65 version, but giving it a big wollop of surf music and double picking - gives me the shivers each time! "Safari Stomp" is a clear tribute to those masked marvels, Los Straitjackets, who I believe are quite popular south of the border. "El Fenderviche" is another clear tribute, but this time to the legendary "Mar Gaya" by the Fender IV. It's an imaginative reworking of that classic with some fantastic lead guitar playing again. And then there's the dark and brooding title track.

In case you don't know, Los Twang! Marvels are led by Argentinian lead and rhythm guitarists (Alex & Marisol - yes, a girl!) who are based in Germany(!!). I believe they actually play surf music for a living, which is quite a feat. Alex studied with Robert Fripp (yep, THAT Robert Fripp) for a couple of years, and told me that Fripp loves the Shadows & the Ventures and helped him out a lot with getting better with that stuff. It's paid off, as it's obvious that Alex is a truly gifted guitarist.

Anyway, if you don't have anything by Los Twang! Marvels yet, do yourself a big favor, and pick this one up. You can get it on CD Baby for only $16!

Highly recommended! Los Twang! Marvels are in my opinion one of the very best surf bands in the world today.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Just listened to samples on cdbaby. Blows me away, especially Brasil. I'm a sucker for the classics.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

I'm gonna have to pick that Los Twang Marvels up!

I just got Eddie Angel Plays Link Wray and The Surfites Big Pounder! Guitar

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

LosTwang!Marvels arrived yesterday. Thanks to Ivan for the suggestion. After one listening I love it. Some of the fastest clean playing I've heard in surf music, high energy and passionate. Nice production-big sound.
On the way:
The Shadows Collection
Tsar Wars
Double Nickels on the Dime--The Minutemen

"Diggin' Out", and "Introducing Jackie and the Cedrics" just arrived from Norton Records. Both are a tonne of fun. "Diggin' Out" may indeed be the best surf comp out there!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I just bought a third copy of Destroy All Astro-men.

I just got a copy of The Space Agency's first album. It's a really good CD, and Simon is an incredibly nice guy.

Jon
I just got a copy of The Space Agency's first album. It's a really good CD, and Simon is an incredibly nice guy.

You can't go wrong with any of their stuff--all three albums are great.

I recently picked up Al Garcia & the Rhythm Kings' CD, which is amazing, as well as the Challengers' "K-39," which is not very amazing at all. Granted, it does have some cool songs and great artwork/liners. I also got the Royal Fingers' 7", which has two awesome non-album originals and a rippin' cover of Terauchi Takeshi's "Ski A Go-Go."

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
I recently picked up Al Garcia & the Rhythm Kings' CD, which is amazing, as well as the Challengers' "K-39," which is not very amazing at all.

That's funny - I would exactly reverse that! K-39 is my favorite Challengers album, as it made up a substantial chunk of their Rhino best-of LP I got back in '86. The title track is awesome (dig that awesome drumming by Hal Blaine!), and I love Mark of Zorro as well as the Challengers' versions of Mr. Rebel, Telstar and Out of Limits. I especially love the reedy sax playing on all those songs - still my favorite surf sax sounds. Anyway, those were the first instro surf songs I heard, and they must have etched a pretty deep groove in my psyche! The Rhythm Kings CD, on the other hand, doesn't do a whole lot for me. I think it's a real stretch to call it surf music.

I also got the Royal Fingers' 7", which has two awesome non-album originals and a rippin' cover of Terauchi Takeshi's "Ski A Go-Go."

Wow! Is this new? Where did you get it?

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Klas
imageThe New Dimensions - Surf 'n Bongos

Mono pressing opposed to Sundazed "Best Of" CD which is stereo. The original LP also have a couple of tracks not on the CD. Now I "only" need to score "Deuces and Eigths" to complete the New Dimensions' 3 album catalogue.

Interesting! I just noticed this cover is the same crew and setting as the cover of the Sentinals' Surfer Girl. I'm just judging by the CD, which leaped out of a bin at me last week. I think the liner notes listed some of the folks in the shot. One of the guys was later in Three Dog Night.

One shot or the other is mirrored, too.

IvanP
K-39 is my favorite Challengers album, as it made up a substantial chunk of their Rhino best-of LP I got back in '86. The title track is awesome (dig that awesome drumming by Hal Blaine!), and I love Mark of Zorro as well as the Challengers' versions of Mr. Rebel, Telstar and Out of Limits ... The Rhythm Kings CD, on the other hand, doesn't do a whole lot for me. I think it's a real stretch to call it surf music.

I like K-39 a ton more than Surfbeat, that much is for sure. You're dead on about the title track, "Mark of Zorro" and their version of "Out of Limits." The album's worth it for those three alone. (I'm not big on "Telstar," no matter who's playing it.)

The Rhythm Kings one is definitely more on the R&B side of things, but man, it just grabbed me.

Wow! Is this new?

I think it came out not too long after the US release of Wild Eleki Deluxe--it's on Estrus records. Though fair warning on the 7"--the fidelity is much closer to the Wild Sammy & the Royaltones album than the Royal Fingers one.

-Warren

Tuck

Klas
The New Dimensions - Surf 'n Bongos

Interesting! I just noticed this cover is the same crew and setting as the cover of the Sentinals' Surfer Girl.

Yeah, I've read that the Sentinals weren't too impressed of having another group (Michael Lloyd and Jimmy Greenspoon of the New Dimensions) on the cover of their album which is fully understandable Laughing

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

got my copy of the mach IV 'eleki' yesterday............ Thumbs Up

www.surfintheeye.com

momsurfing_
got my copy of the mach IV 'eleki' yesterday............ Thumbs Up

Got mine the other day too! Good stuff, instant classics.
Also got my 'The Windows' cd.

I hit the motherload of LPs the other day. I picked up a bunch of surf comps incl:

Wail on the Beach,
Surf War,
Battle of the Surf Guitars vol 1&2,
Instrumental Madness.

It's taking a while to take it all in but I do like what I hear...especially "Wail on the Beach".

Rev

PS: Waiting for the Windows, and vol 2 of the Wes Dakus comp.

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I just won a copy of what I understand to be the Sharp Five's second album. I really have high expectations on this one.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Goto Page: Previous 1 220 21 22 23 24118 119 Next