Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Some inspiring eleki stuff

Goto Page: Previous 1 210 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next

Ivan, how did you find those in Tower Records? Did you ask the help or just browse? I tried at a Tower and a different store, wrote down the names of several CD's mentioned here, but had no luck with any of the employees. I did browse a lot, apparently the j-pop section was where to look, but I only found the vocal CD I mentioned in an earlier post.

I might be back in Japan next spring, so any hints would be of value. I'll have to try to get to Tokyo and ask Ferenc for his PDF file map.

NeedsMoreReverb
Ivan, how did you find those in Tower Records? Did you ask the help or just browse?

I can answer that: we did both. It no doubt helped our chances that we were at the huge Tower Records in Shibuya. We found the stuff in the "J-indies" section.

Browsing was pretty much a random crapshoot for us because the bands were "alphabetized" according to how their names are rendered in the Japanese "alphabet". One fun fact: I found that bands with English names starting in R (e.g. Royal Fingers) were grouped together with English band names starting with L. If R and L are represented by the same character in the Japanese alphabet, it's not surprising that Japanese speakers seem to us to confuse the two when speaking English.

Asking the help was slow going at first, but Ivan kept pestering them with questions they couldn't decipher, until they finally gave in and found us a staffer who spoke excellent English and was very helpful.

One more tip: one CD we both wanted had only a single copy on the shelf, but we found a second copy in the drawer underneath.

CaptainSpringfield
That's what I forgot about reviewing this time around.

Terauchi Takeshi - Seicho Terauchi Bushi

If this is Terry's best-selling album, it's not hard at all to see why. The songs - all instro - really cover a lot of ground, and it has some of Terry's most unhinged guitar playing. (Especially on "Kajincho.") My one complaint is it's front-loaded with the fastest songs, so side two feels a bit downbeat. But the songs are great, and it's definitely edged out Manatso No Umi Wo Buttobase to become my favorite album of his.

I suggest listening to side 2 first.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Klas

IvanP
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 1"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 2"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 3"

Very cool, I didn't know these were available on CD again. I have volume 2 on original vinyl but will now definitely also get the other two volumes.

I just ordered volume 1 and 3 from CD Japan (1905 yen/$18 each). With air mail shipping the total ended up equivalent to $47 which I think is okay for two CDs of this dignity. Now let's hope I don't also have to pay import taxes...

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Here's an interesting 1994 clip of Yuzo Kayama and The Ventures, sharing stage again and taking turns on the same songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jFYJH_Dalc

And I've never heard the Ventures use anything near the massive amount of reverb coming from Don Wilson in this clip!

cool video and love all the reverb

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing

Klas
Here's an interesting 1994 clip of Yuzo Kayama and The Ventures, sharing stage again and taking turns on the same songs:

And I've never heard the Ventures use anything near the massive amount of reverb coming from Don Wilson in this clip!

Yeah, this is really great! Especially love Caravan! Yuzo can sure play! Funnily enough, both Yuzo and his band sounded quite a bit better to my ears than the Ventures (including drums, Yuzo's drummer having a far better sounding drum kit than Mel)....

(Incidentally, Fender Japan is making a Gerry McGee signature guitar. I'm not exactly sure why. What exactly has this guy done except play on some of the Ventures worst records??? And completely destroy any energy generated by the other three when playing live?)

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP
(Incidentally, Fender Japan is making a Gerry McGee signature guitar. I'm not exactly sure why. What exactly has this guy done except play on some of the Ventures worst records??? And completely destroy any energy generated by the other three when playing live?)

It's kind of like when your charming sister marries a bore. You may not like him, but he is part of the family. In Japan, to not honor Jerry would be to dishonor The Ventures legacy. Also, he's done tons of tours there, and they love him.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

IvanP

Ivan

Do you think Marshall will ever put out a Jerry McGee signature amp? Now there's a surf machine! Rolling Eyes

IvanP

mom_surfing

Klas

Yeah, this is really great! Especially love Caravan! Yuzo can sure play!

This is awesome. I think I'm going to start wearing blue suits like that all the time.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I wish Yuzo has matching pants on. That would have been awesomer. I really like Yuzo's singing.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:26:48

So right. Black Sand Beach was great. Ventures...

Uh-oh, I think he's using his thumb to fret a few notes on the low E string...

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:26:52

I'm confused as to what you thought. Was that video in contrast to Yuzo being better in the last video? IE, Ventures better than Yuzo? Or further evidence as to the contrast of Yuzo being better than the Ventures in these video? I thought Yuzo's version was much better.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:26:56

PolloGuitar

IvanP

It's kind of like when your charming sister marries a bore. You may not like him, but he is part of the family. In Japan, to not honor Jerry would be to dishonor The Ventures legacy. Also, he's done tons of tours there, and they love him.

Gerry McGee also co-wrote some of their biggest hits in Japan like "Reflections in a Palace Lake", "Stranger in Midosuji" and "Kyoto Doll". According to the Ventures' website "it was on the strength of those songs that The Ventures were given the Japanese Grand Prix award for their contribution to Japanese music, based on the tremendous popularity with these hits (which are still found in almost every karaoke bar in Japan)."

If you count sales of recordings of those songs with Japanese lyrics, McGee may have even sold more records in Japan than Nokie.

Klas

Klas

IvanP
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 1"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 2"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 3"

Very cool, I didn't know these were available on CD again. I have volume 2 on original vinyl but will now definitely also get the other two volumes.

I just ordered volume 1 and 3 from CD Japan (1905 yen/$18 each). With air mail shipping the total ended up equivalent to $47 which I think is okay for two CDs of this dignity. Now let's hope I don't also have to pay import taxes...

Got my CDs today without any customs claims. Really fast and smooth transaction. Currently blasting vol. 1 in the living room, great stuff as expected!

The Sharp Five : Young Guitar vol. 1-3

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

From the early 80s. But the sound could be better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ON4LXtQqY

This guy puts down a cool version of Caravan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csAb7ka82Cs

Nice Teisco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkP2DyEHjso

Not bad either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-5dTTnoCQU

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:30:25

Goto Page: Previous 1 210 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next