Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Some inspiring eleki stuff

Goto Page: Previous 1 29 10 11 12 1317 18 Next

It's quite unfortunate though that Zak doesnt know hell is run by the record industry.
Very Happy

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Brian
I think Klas and Zak need to start an Eleki band so I can download their music.

I was trying to be humorous here, it was not a comment on downloading. I think it is funny that 2 of the 3 biggest Eleki fans on the site are going at it like this. But seriously, you guys really should start an Eleki band. Smile

Anyway, sorry to see this thread end like this. I've learned a lot from it. Or can it be put back on track? Question

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:19:29

If you wanted to recommend an eleki album to the forum members, you could just have linked to online store sound samples (which should be enough for anyone to base a purchase on)

As I said before, that is not enough for me to spend my money on and that includes the Surfites samples. An exception would be Kahuna Kawentzmann's Tike & Guitar, I just couldn't find a free download for it. Most of the stuff that I like immediately I quickly grow tired of. When I was younger, we had this thing called radio where you could hear entire songs for free. That sent millions of us to the store to buy our own copies. That enabled my friend who worked for Warner Bros. to buy a Gregory Ain house in Los Feliz, none of his neighbors are musicians.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:19:32

In an attempt to steer this somewhat back on course, I just won Terry's Seicho Terauchi Bushi on eBay:

and his Let's Go Classics should be arriving any day now:

I've only heard a few songs from the first one - "Musume Dojojoi" rules - but I'll post reviews when they get here.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Zak?

zak

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

That streaming audio link somebody posted, that was so stuffed full with google ads. I doubt any of the ad money will go to the content creators. Unlike on radio f.e.

Anyway, Klas (I think) said that Eleki releases depend heavily on sale numbers. And I can confirm, having worked for the biggest record major in the world, that any product manager working on special interest items such as these we are arguing about here, they have really hot seats. Often nobody else in the company knows about the history of these releases (MTV didn’t educate about this stuff). So when the guys who are still pushing these out are gone, the catalogue is lost.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

zak

Photoshop! Laughing

Seriously, I have that DVD as well. Very expensive but totally worth it. After reading the below movie description, I just had to get it.

I don't understand Japanese but some standout scenes include: a battle of the bands competition (the whole movie revolves around the competition) where a wild girl group in mini skirts and go-go boots look and sound teriffic! Also, a Beatle-wig-wearing group who play great but are up to no good! Look for several fantastic record store scenes that feature tons of cool looking LP covers, Beatles "Help" posters and totally bitchin' electric guitars on display. The top ten at the record store includes "Help" and "The Cruel Sea" (a Dakotas, sans Billy J., instrumental). Lots of performance scenes including on stage, in a bus, in a back room, at a restaurant, etc. Tons of songs including, "Yozora no Hoshi," "Black Sand Beach," "Kimi to Itsumademo," "Blonde Jennie," "Blues of Wakadaisyo," and several others.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:21:03

CaptainSpringfield
I just won Terry's Seicho Terauchi Bushi on eBay:

That cover is really confusing since the other side of it also looks like a front cover. Almost made me buy the album twice once Laughing

Anyway, great album and I've read it was the Bunnys' best selling record. I have it as a 2-on-1 CD paired with The World is Waiting for Terry which is really good, too.

and his Let's Go Classics should be arriving any day now:

I'm not into classical music but Terry's take on it totally rules.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Here's an interesting 1994 clip of Yuzo Kayama and The Ventures, sharing stage again and taking turns on the same songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jFYJH_Dalc

And I've never heard the Ventures use anything near the massive amount of reverb coming from Don Wilson in this clip!

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Smile I like the color on Yuzo's guitar. What is that sky blue or Sonic blue? Theirs a video of the Ventures playing DiamondHead/Caravan and Don Wilson has some nice sounding reverb on his guitar.

The Deadbeats

I just got back from three weeks in Japan. Quite frankly when I first saw this thread I thought it was about a guitar brand, you know something like a Teisco. I didn't read the thread, but as I later posted in a separate posting there was a story in the local paper about The Ventures and a side article on Takeshi Terauchi. It made mention of Eleki and I remembered this thread.

Anyway, went to two different stores and the only thing I could find was this:

No luck finding anything else, but the direct prices are no better than what has been posted by others here using sites like Amazon and cdjapan. I think I paid around 2450 yen, about $22.00.

Link to the CD: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TECH-25149

The bad news, there are no instrumentals on it. Oh well, a shot in the dark. I do kind of like it, I've only listened to it once and it reminds of cheesy 60's spy flick soundtracks, not necessarily a bad thing. One track has the singer imitating the surf-guitar glissando vocally.

As I mentioned in another thread, Moon Dawg and I hit a Tower Records in Shibuya area of Tokyo and returned with quite a few eleki CDs. I got six:

Yuzo Kayama: "Black Sand Beach" (a collection of almost all of his instro stuff)
The Surf Coasters: "Misirlou: 10th Anniversary Best - Best of the Surf Coasters, Vol. 2"
Terauchi Takeshi and the Bunnys: "Let's Go Classics"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 2"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 3"
Terauchi Takeshi: "Twin Best" - 2-CD collection that I hoped was his sixties stuff, but it turns out that it's got a bunch of '70s and '80s recordings, too - doh! Still, it's pretty good! There were several collections available, and they all had modern photos of him on the covers. I tried to find out from the staff if the music was from the sixties or later, but communication was very difficult.

There was also a bit of a compromise with Moon Dawg, as there were only single copies of several CDs that we both wanted. He ended up with The Sharp Five's "Young Guitar Vol. 1" and Terauchi Takeshi's "Go Go", which otherwise I would have bought. But, damn, I think I spent more than enough on the above CDs! These were all between $20 and $35, most of them being around $25. Ouch. Well, it's stuff that's very hard to get in the US, so I figured I had to go for it. I'm just going through them now. Great stuff!!!

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Cool Ivan! I thought I had won the Sharp Five Young Guitar Vol 1. on ebay, but the seller became "amazingly" out of stock and withdrew (oh well, that's ebay) so I'm looking to pick it up on cdJapan. I may also pick up Vol. 3 because I'm hearing some really good things about it. I have their Haru No Umi and it is simply incredible!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008 15:31:10

IvanP
Terauchi Takeshi: "Twin Best" - 2-CD collection that I hoped was his sixties stuff, but it turns out that it's got a bunch of '70s and '80s recordings, too - doh! Still, it's pretty good! There were several collections available, and they all had modern photos of him on the covers. I tried to find out from the staff if the music was from the sixties or later, but communication was very difficult.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0000A8V54/

For comps of Terry's pre-Mosrite stuff (1964-65), the above CD is the one to get. For comps of his 1966-68 material, I would recommend volume 1 and 2 of the Singles Collection:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00005HYP8/

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00005HYP9/

The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 1"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 2"
The Sharp Five: "Young Guitar Vol. 3"

Very cool, I didn't know these were available on CD again. I have volume 2 on original vinyl but will now definitely also get the other two volumes.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

That's what I forgot about reviewing this time around.

Terauchi Takeshi - Seicho Terauchi Bushi

If this is Terry's best-selling album, it's not hard at all to see why. The songs - all instro - really cover a lot of ground, and it has some of Terry's most unhinged guitar playing. (Especially on "Kajincho.") My one complaint is it's front-loaded with the fastest songs, so side two feels a bit downbeat. But the songs are great, and it's definitely edged out Manatso No Umi Wo Buttobase to become my favorite album of his.

Terauchi Takeshi - Let's Go Classics

If you're a real classical music purist, this might make your head explode. "Fur Elise" is unreal - it's just an all-out assault on Beethoven, led by one of the coolest fuzztones I've ever heard. On a few of the songs Terry completely abandons the melody about halfway through and just starts soloing, but that's definitely not a complaint. A couple of the songs aren't quite as good as other bands' versions - especially "Sabre Dance" and "Flight of the Bumblebee," though at least the latter has great fuzz on it. Still, it's a really solid album, and pretty easy to find both in LP form and also as one of the 40th anniversary CD reissues.

I also just won the self-titled Sharp Five LP:

A few years back I ordered the CD from Jack Diamond Music, and received a CD-R with artwork, so it's nice to actually have a legit copy. And I'm also waiting for these to arrive:

That Terry LP is supposedly all country western covers Shocked and the CD is a collection of mostly surf covers, though I don't know if they're 60s or 90s recordings. (I'd hope it's the former, but the crappy cover art leads me to think that won't be the case.) According to the item description, the GS LP is Group Sounds songs done instro-style by the All-Stars Wagon and Sharp Five, among others. Should be interesting.

And now, thanks to Ivan, I gotta track down those other Young Guitar volumes. (Apparently "Japanese Classics" is volume 3, if the OBI strip is to be believed.)

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield
image... and the CD is a collection of mostly surf covers, though I don't know if they're 60s or 90s recordings. (I'd hope it's the former, but the crappy cover art leads me to think that won't be the case.)

Sorry to disappoint but the CD is all 90's recordings. Crappy cover art?!? It's Murphy by Rick Griffin and it doesn't get much cooler than that! Wink

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

It's not the Rick Griffin art I was referring to - it's the font used above and below it. Laughing

-Warren

Goto Page: Previous 1 29 10 11 12 1317 18 Next