Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Surf Guitar 101 Convention?

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next

I'll just be happy to be there.... Heck if I can fly across the country, I can deff drive 4 hours... Tell me where and when and I'll be there with bells on!

HBkahuna
Another idea would be a legends workshop where you get group instruction, a lecture and jam with one or more of the legends. Admission is like $30 to $50 to compensate the legends for their time. Just a thought.
I can set this part up..

Beautiful idea...

Man it would be a blast! I like HB for the site as well. Just seems like the home-land. Any possible sponsors, like Fender? Any other events that would add synergy, like an amp show, guitar show?

tom

THe NEpTuNeS

This is gonna open up a whole can of worms, but hey, this is just my opinion. I'm all up for having one or two legendary bands play, if they are true legends that would really bring in a bunch of people and don't just play a bunch of weak cover songs and one or two of their vintage hits. I haven't seen many of the 60's bands that play CA, but I usually hear a wide variety of reviews about them. In my mind, the only 60's bands that I'd really want to see at an event like this are the Trashmen and the Ventures. Maybe one or two others, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind. I think the 60's bands would ask for A LOT more money, and most of them just aren't very good - I love their 60's recordings, but I wouldn't come down just to see a bunch of old men (most of whom aren't even original members) wearing Hawaiian shirts playing "Roll Over Beethoven" and "House Of The Rising Sun".

I really think Vegas, in an established concert venue with a PA and their own security, and possibly downtown, is the way to go. You can find cheap flights to Vegas from anywhere in the world, plus downtown Vegas is cheap. Plus I can envision some very cool posters using downtown Vegas/4-Queens imagery. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I just think Vegas would be a lot more fun and you'd probably get a lot more people attending. Judging by the interest so far I'd say we could easily get 200-400 people, and with some advertising maybe twice that.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

DennistheMenace
Definitely would have to come up with a date on the calendar soon, 'cause you know everyone that wants to go, would need time to tell work they need those day(s) off............or if you used all your sick days, just call in dead. ROTFL

Don't forget all the guys that have to ASK their wives if they can go.
they will need to fill out in triplicate a please release my balls from your purse for the weekend pass.
Rolling Eyes Shocked Wink

sorry had to go there.

I agree that So. Cal. would be the best spot for this,
would it be a paid ticket event or free and open to the Public?
I would suggest a Fri. Sat. Sun. or a Fri nite. Sat. Sun all days. and mon holiday show till noon or so as a wrap up.

I would really want to see at least 1/3 of the bands be from outta town.

The HB Pier would be a great place to do this, but...
their is no way to charge for a show there.

maybe the Capistrano Beach park where they do the Big 2 day blues fest.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Eddie B, Surfaris, both versions, Chantays, DD, all based in so Cal. Just to name a few. There is no issue as far as venues in so Cal. Plenty. The promised land for surf is not in Vegas, with all due respect. So Cal spawned the culture, not vegas.

I think Vegas is a good idea. Anaheim is as well because you could bring the kids with you and get no grief from the missus.

Granted I will not be able to attend unless it is in Seattle, and that would be a terrible place for a convention. Too much money to travel for someone my age.

bigtikidude
Don't forget all the guys that have to ASK their wives if they can go.
they will need to fill out in triplicate a please release my balls from your purse for the weekend pass.
Rolling Eyes Shocked Wink

Man, you really know how to hurt a guy Wink

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

If you want bands outside SoCal to come then it will need to be a paid event. I'm also not sure a surf event needs to be in SoCal either - other than Dick Dale and Los Straitjackets, the biggest crowds you'll see at a surf gig today is actually over in Europe. The Kilaueas had a great time playing California back in 2006, but to be honest, they lost money playing there and the "crowds" were pretty small. It may be the birthplace of surf music, but unfortunately, it isn't as popular as it should be there. Look at where the rockabilly festivals are (each with about 4000 people attending) - they're in Vegas, which isn't known as the birthplace of rockabilly. It's a place where people can gather, see some great music and have a big ole party.

Sad to say, if you want this to be a big event with lots of out-of-town bands, I think it needs to be done somewhere that there is more to do than just watch surf bands play. The Surfari USA tour was a good lesson on how not to do it - assemble a bunch of great bands and hope people come out to see them. Most nights there was 50-100 people there.

Sean
Double Crown Records

The choice on location should depend on how big this thing is going to be.

If it's only going to be a medium-sized collection of the regulars on this site, I'd say holding it around LA is the way to go since most of us are scattered about California.

If this event is going to have sponsors and big name musicians like some are brainstorming about, Vegas is probably the better place to hold such a large event. It'd be much more cost effective and convenient for people on the East coast (yes, there are a few over here that enjoy surf as well Wink ).

Honestly, I'd say we should keep it small this time around and have the convention in Cali and then see how things turn out. If it goes well, then we can try to assemble something larger in a place that can accommodate such an event, like Vegas.

Also, it'd be a good idea to set up a poll on here seeing which of the two locations (or others locations yet to be determined) would work better for everyone.

There's my two cents...

"Hope is a waking dream." - Aristotle

Jake,
what if your band was asked to play?

to all there is motels in Garden Grove, and Anaheim, etc... North OC.
that are between 40 and 60 dollars a nite.
Thats only about 12 miles North of the Beach. if you wanted to save money.

I would think that is would be best to have this show outside, not in a building.
as the sound would be very overwhelming inside for a long day.

and weather its at a park or at the beach is up to decission.

I would think that alot of people would want to come here to see
D-land, the Beach, the Surfing Museum, all the tiki bars resturaunts,
all the cool googie architecture. etc. etc.
There is tons of Hot Rods and antique places in So. Cal. also.
and I agree is would be good to have a rockabilly and garage band or 2 to mix it up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

B_Zilla
Honestly, I'd say we should keep it small this time around and have the convention in Cali and then see how things turn out. If it goes well, then we can try to assemble something larger in a place that can accommodate such an event, like Vegas.

Also, it'd be a good idea to set up a poll on here seeing which of the two locations (or others locations yet to be determined) would work better for everyone.

Agree Start small. Let it grow. See what works.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

This post has been removed by the author.

My vote is for Vegas, with SoCal as 2nd choice for many of the reasons Sean gave. It is certainly cheaper for a Canadian band from Halifax to fly to Vegas (if we were invited to play... Wink ).

The Viva Las Vegas shows seem to go big there, as do the Rockin' 50's shows in Green Bay, WI (that might be a place to consider).

Maybe some touristy types hangin' around in Vegas might come to the show (there're lots of tourists there, right?)

The Trashmen would certainly be a highlight for me!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

bigtikidude
Jake,
what if your band was asked to play?

We would have to have an entire tour lined up around it. We can't come down for just one weekend.

Mainly I'm need my money for getting an apartment, paying off my '62 Martin(best acoustic ever), the next album, the next CD pressing, new merch, and the next tour. We have $2500 in the band fund but that only goes so far, although it kind of renews itself.

HBkahuna
There is only one place to have the first one. Ground zero, Surf City USA

I agree. My sis-in-law will let us use her place, and its only about 50 miles south of me via the Garden State Parkway.

Hmmm

Oh. Not Surf City, NJ, huh.

I think for an established band to travel to a show in SoCal or Vegas they'd need about $800-$1000, just to help cover the cost of their airfare. It'd cost them more than that, but hopefully they'd make up the difference in merch sales. Even $500 might be enough...so you'd need to have about 200 people per night paying about $10-$15 each per night. Would locals in SoCal pay that much for a surf show? If not, then I think you're going to end up with a fest of just local bands, and you've got that going on SoCal all the time.

I personally think Vegas is the best choice, however, I think if there was a surf-friendly venue somewhere in the US that regularly brings in good crowds, that could handle an influx of 200+ surf fans that might be something to look at. During the Surfari USA tour - the best crowd, I think, was the Chukker show in Tuscaloosa, headlined by the Penetrators. I think a combination of local draw and the SG101ers is the way to look at it, given the fact that to have bands fly in you're gonna have to have a ticket price of $10-15 per person.

Sean
Double Crown Records

I am 3000 miles away in Hell's Kitchen, yet ready to jump on a plane to attend something like this

I like the reasoning for LAS VEGAS

Someone also said EUROPE b/c SURF has a very big following over there

But in the end, so many of the bands are CALIFORNIA based, and might need to stay closer to home (family, 'real jobs') -- then again, VEGAS ain't so far away

I also think you might not want to be too adventurous, and keep it down to 2 days, max, of music; (SAT + SUN?); throw in a pre-festival party on FRI,....Hell, throw parties THURS and FRI, put some crazy SURF/GARAGE/TIKI/POLYNESIAN DJ's spinning, maybe 1 or max, 2 bands each of the 'party' nights, prior to the BIG EVENT - the 2-days of surf.....

this is kind of the way it went at the WIPE OUT FESTIVAL in 2004 in Calella Spain.....& I thought it went pretty smooth

and of course have booths set up at the 2-day event for people to sell their wares

but if it starts to come together....let us know the ink is 'almost dry' on the deal so us East Coasters and those further away can book cheaper flights way in advance

thx to all of you for getting this together

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008 22:47:38

Flying in a band is expensive. And I don't know of many surf bands who have an array of merch to sell enough. The most we ever sold in a night was $600 of merch, and that was with a brand new CD and newly screen shirts. 175-225 people there.

What established bands are you thinking of Sean? Maybe they could augment that with a van tour? One off shows are pricey, but a van tour can create a nice cash flow. After expenses we ended up making over $1000 on our tour. Two weeks, 12 shows or so.

It isn't easy anyway you look at it unless a band is going to do it pro bono. How many non-local bands can do that. Also, factor in time off work.

One side note, I can't wait to tour this summer. We may be touring with a very exciting upcoming band who will blow us away, but there will be huge crowds.

I will make some calls to some close rockabilly folks to see what they or how they do it for "Viva Las Vegas" with the bands that come from all around but my main idea was to have it like a big convention with band booths, swamp meet like with surfin' related goods, an open mic have Sg101ers in teams go up and jam and do a few songs per team the whole point of this is to all meet up in one place for 2 days and have work shops for those that want to learn
guitar tech stuff etc.. but this event can evolve over time and that's where I need you guys!

SoCal will be ground zero that's my vision Cool
and yes we would charge a small fee of $10 for the 2 day entry pass so we can pay the bills for the event etc.

Jake most bands have merch cds, stickers, shirts there is never a guarantee that you'll sell anything at any show you gamble take a chance and hope for the best.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next