Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
283 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
251 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
244 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
205 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
139 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
139 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
125 days ago

dp: dude
106 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
61 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
45 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink R.I.P. The Ventures

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

Chiba,

Unfortunately, you saying it's so doesn't actually make it so.

Does in this case. Stir the Pot
J Mo'

bigtikidude wrote:

Do you mean the Mach IV?

synchro wrote:

MelWaldorf wrote:

If they can't be "The Ventures", I wonder if they can be "Not The Ventures"? Can't say it's false advertising as it's says in the name they're not the Ventures. Maybe they could be stopped for using the Ventures name to their benefit, but still it would be awesome.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm thinking of starting a band called "Not The Beatles"... Smile

One of these days I’m going to start a band called Not the Mach III. The beauty of it is, when people hear us they will concur; “that band is definitely not the Mach III”. Smile

Paranoid

One of the guys called in sick. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Leon says on faceplace that the band is alive and well. I’m sticking with Leon . The baton has been rightfully passed . They have a new LP out on the Hi-Tide label .

Ya know , I can still go out and see/hear the COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA, the Duke Ellington Ensemble and Maynard Ferguson Orchestra- they are keeping the spirit and portfolio alive. Dick Dales son goes out and plays with his dad’s former members and he is keeping the spirit and the portfolio alive. Where I come from , I’ve often worked and recorded the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and though that “band” is still together after 150 years , no original members are remaining but they are still keeping the spirit and the portfolio alive. WE SHOULD ALL BE SO LUCKY.

The mighty KAHUNATONES
Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

DoNtFearTheReverbBass wrote:

Leon says on faceplace that the band is alive and well. I’m sticking with Leon . The baton has been rightfully passed . They have a new LP out on the Hi-Tide label .

Ya know , I can still go out and see/hear the COUNT BASIE ORCHESTRA, the Duke Ellington Ensemble and Maynard Ferguson Orchestra- they are keeping the spirit and portfolio alive. Dick Dales son goes out and plays with his dad’s former members and he is keeping the spirit and the portfolio alive. Where I come from , I’ve often worked and recorded the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and though that “band” is still together after 150 years , no original members are remaining but they are still keeping the spirit and the portfolio alive. WE SHOULD ALL BE SO LUCKY.

That sort of circles back to my original post in this thread; is a band the members, or the concept? At what point does a band quit being its original self? There are all sorts of answers, and I’m not about to say it’s one way or the other. Ultimately, it’s in the eye of the beholder.
u
If Paul and Ringo hired a couple of people and toured as the Beatles; how legit would that be? It would obviously attract an audience, but would it be the Beatles? Were the Beatles ever the same after Brian Epstein died? One could argue that one either way.

I wish Leon T. and company, the best.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

There's quite a few lawyers in this thread. If all the band members are dead, the band is no longer active. Simple as. If a bunch of dudes want to get together and play Ventures tunes then it's a tribute act.

All,
It's been several months.
See anything further with Leon and "new and exciting changes are in the works for the band"?

The short, correct answer as of now is a big fat "NO".
The guitarists in the last incarnation have moved on. It appears that the present owners of the Ventures name are less than interested in recruiting a new band.
Even if they were interested, any new guitarists would have to have some chops in writing new tunes. I don't see Leon doing that function alone.
I think Leon is trying or has tried to get something going with the new name owners, but I am of the opinion that nothing will gel. His post on the Ventures website appears to be wishful thinking.
I feel sorry for the guy.
And with regard to this particular post content, I'd like to be 100% wrong someday.

J Mo'

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024 08:00:21

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4