Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar HH conversion to Single Coils

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Looking good! The Cobain Mustang bridge should work well - the nice thing about Mustang bridges is that they have the single slot instead of the multiple grooves the standard bridge has. Plus you can adjust string heights to match your neck radius.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet (or I didn't catch it in the details) about moving the tailpiece up toward the bridge is that the ghost tones you get from the behind the bridge sections of strings will be different. With tailpiece closer to the bridge, the ghost notes will be higher tones. Whether or not that is noticeable is hard to say, but they do add something to the sonic character of a Jaguar or any other guitar with a significant length of strings behind the bridge.

edwardsand wrote:

Looking good! The Cobain Mustang bridge should work well - the nice thing about Mustang bridges is that they have the single slot instead of the multiple grooves the standard bridge has. Plus you can adjust string heights to match your neck radius.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet (or I didn't catch it in the details) about moving the tailpiece up toward the bridge is that the ghost tones you get from the behind the bridge sections of strings will be different. With tailpiece closer to the bridge, the ghost notes will be higher tones. Whether or not that is noticeable is hard to say, but they do add something to the sonic character of a Jaguar or any other guitar with a significant length of strings behind the bridge.**

Thanks Edwardsand!
I am concerned about the new Mustang bridge having one issue yet TBD, if the result of the tail piece being moved forward and increased break angle, will strings contact the back edge of the bridge?
I can easily check this out when the bridge comes in and before I actually swap thimbles out.
If that happens then I have reconsidered going with the Mastery M1, just confirmed the pole/thimble locations will match perfectly.

I hear what you are saying about the 'ghost notes' and string vibration behind the bridge, not being genuine Jaguar vintage tones.
Not really diving into that too much because its only a MIM model and there are numerous other small differences that also play a role in that 60's sound, even down to the capacitors used.

The whole point of my re-fit was the pickup swap of humbuckers to 62' singles, and I will have accomplished that which will amount to a whole lot of different sound than I had with the HH.

Last edited: Nov 09, 2022 12:06:39

To answer a couple of your questions:

I've got a couple of guitars with the vintage spacing of jag vibrato to bridge, and the space between bridge and where the strings exit the tailpiece is about 12 cm. So it's about a 2 cm difference, maybe a bit more.

I also have a Mustang, and though the vibrato is different, you were questioning whether strings on a Mustang bridge would hit the back of the bridge mount with a vibrato that is moved closer. There is about 6cm of space between the Mustang vibrato and the bridge, much closer than on your Jag, and the strings definitely do not hit the bridge mount.

edwardsand wrote:

To answer a couple of your questions:

I've got a couple of guitars with the vintage spacing of jag vibrato to bridge, and the space between bridge and where the strings exit the tailpiece is about 12 cm. So it's about a 2 cm difference, maybe a bit more.

I also have a Mustang, and though the vibrato is different, you were questioning whether strings on a Mustang bridge would hit the back of the bridge mount with a vibrato that is moved closer. There is about 6cm of space between the Mustang vibrato and the bridge, much closer than on your Jag, and the strings definitely do not hit the bridge mount.**

Hey that's encouraging!
I had no idea the Mustang guitar tail was that much closer to bridge.
And sounds like the position of my Jag HH is not that much different than a traditional Jaguar.
The Mustang bridge will be fine.
Thanks for taking time to measure things.

*synchro

Nice work. You’ve really moved fast on this, and your workmanship looks great. I’ll love to hear how it sounds.

I should add that the single coils just look right, for this guitar. I have nothing against the humbuckers, but Jaguars and single coils are a natural pairing.**

Thanks Synchro for your advice and encouragement!
I agree the pickups just look right.
The aged cream color covers also match well with the vintage mint pickguard.
I have looked at many Jaguar photos to see more about this surf green color and what other issued colors used for both the PU covers and pickguard.

I have only seen the surf green with a tortoise guard and I dislike it.
I thought about getting a totally different color guard but decided that it would never be referenced to original issued.

Maybe I'll post a sound check but don't expect any performance skills, I really kind of suck playing actually. Laughing Guitar

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022 05:59:42

IceratzSurf wrote:

*synchro

Nice work. You’ve really moved fast on this, and your workmanship looks great. I’ll love to hear how it sounds.

I should add that the single coils just look right, for this guitar. I have nothing against the humbuckers, but Jaguars and single coils are a natural pairing.**

Thanks Synchro for your advice and encouragement!
I agree the pickups just look right.
The aged cream color covers also match well with the vintage mint pickguard.
I have looked at many Jaguar photos to see more about this surf green color and what other issued colors used for both the PU covers and pickguard.

I have only seen the surf green with a tortoise guard and I dislike it.
I thought about getting a totally different color guard but decided that it would never be referenced to original issued.

Maybe I'll post a sound check but don't expect any performance skills, I really kind of suck playing actually. Laughing Guitar

Tortoise guards can look great, but probably not on a Surf Green Jaguar. The look you ended up with is perfect. I look forward to the samples, even if you aren’t Segovia. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Waiting on the bridge kit to complete this.
I decided another model and I am sure it will perform best!
Going for the Fender AmPro Jaguar Jazzmaster bridge with new thimbles and the nylon inserts.
This bridge is perfectly matched to the 9.5 radius so no individual saddle adjustments are necessary.
That's less screws to wiggle loose and the larger round barrels smooth to rest your hand. 53mm string spacing works best for this neck.

The Mustang Cobain bridge was a good choice but the quality is quite low compared to the AmPro. The string spacing was 55.5mm and maybe a tad too wide.
Should complete this early next week.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022 20:55:06

IceratzSurf wrote:

Waiting on the bridge kit to complete this.
I decided another model and I am sure it will perform best!
Going for the Fender AmPro Jaguar Jazzmaster bridge with new thimbles and the nylon inserts.
This bridge is perfectly matched to the 9.5 radius so no individual saddle adjustments are necessary.
That's less screws to wiggle loose and the larger round barrels smooth to rest your hand. 53mm string spacing works best for this neck.

The Mustang Cobain bridge was a good choice but the quality is quite low compared to the AmPro. The string spacing was 55.5mm and maybe a tad too wide.
Should complete this early next week.

That looks like a great choice. With the nylon inserts, you should be in good shape.

Dang! You are making me jealous. Smile

I got the new Fender American Pro Jaguar bridge in today and I got it all to work nice!
Not without more issues..
The Tune-O-Matic thimbles OD were larger than the Jaguar Pro thimbles...what to do?
I carefully drilled out the Tune-O-Matic thimbles to a perfect match.
So it's a double thimble insert now.
The fit was great and after putting in the nylon thimble inserts , then the bridge posts, it all fit cleanly.
Just doing a quick range test of string seating, clear of the back side of the bridge.
Looking like a good range to raise or lower action.

I was kind of sweating this last modification and looks good!

Need to spend time on the final setup and then done!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022 18:24:21

That’s nice workmanship, friend.

Your are doing some fine work there. Love everything you are doing. Sometimes it's the small details and taking the opportunity to create a Tele style truss rod access is something I would want to do because I hate having to remove a neck to make a truss rod tweak.
Can't tell from the photos, but how much downward adjustment do you have left after the bridge swap? I guess if it's problematic, you can always shim the neck.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022 20:41:13

Surfadelphia wrote:

Your are doing some fine work there. Love everything you are doing. Sometimes it's the small details and taking the opportunity to create a Tele style truss rod access is something I would want to do because I hate having to remove a neck to make a truss rod tweak.
Can't tell from the photos, but how much downward adjustment do you have left after the bridge swap? I guess if it's problematic, you can always shim the neck.**

Thanks for your reply!

I won't know how much I need to adjust bridge height until I get the rest of the strings on. I may also need a truss rod adjustment when I put on heavier strings.
But where the bridge is now, the string shown was already touching the frets.
So I suspect it's probably going up higher and will know with a full set of strings.
From where the bridge is now, it can be lowered only slightly, so I hope I don't need more range in that direction.

Mr Circuit came through with the exact 1/2W 56ohm 5% resistor today!
5 pack resistors for less than $4 shipped!
Fender '62 wiring shows this installed on Master tone pot.

Devils in the details for this rewiring! Big Grin Guitar

All assembled and ready to string it up for the final setup for tonight!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022 08:53:08

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:42:18

All strung up, tuned, action set, intonation and bridge adjusted!
SOUNDS Awesome!!
I couldn't be more thrilled with how this effort turned out.

Improved more than expected. Guitar Guitar Guitar

Electronics all test out just as the traditional '62 switching specifications.
The "strangle" switch really works great in the Main lower circuit.

UPDATE: I had posted earlier here that the Upper Rhythm circuit, maybe needed a different capacitor, I only used what I had for parts and it might not have been correct.
But it was the AMP and settings!
I had first sound checked out on a emulated pedal-amp to a PA speaker, not a pure tube amp. (I have a DigiTech Cab Driver pedal into a PA powered speaker for workshop use.)
When I plugged everything into the Peavy 20watt Tube Classic amp, volume to 4, at low output 5w setting, the tones came to life!
I could easily get the neck pickup to be as powerful and as deep as in the Main circuit. So, I could then turn the Rhythm into something different and switch back and forth circuits for different sounds quickly. Its actually a pretty cool feature of the 60s wiring and I like it! I'm keeping the caps as is for now!

The bridge upgrade was an unknown condition and was not originally part of my pickup swap effort, but so glad I did it!
I looked at several options for a bridge replacement of the factory installed Tune-O-Matic. I like these bridges on other hard tail guitars, but not so good on a tremelo IMO.
I finally settled on the Fender American Pro Jaguar 9.5 radius, with fixed height barrels. Fender got this design worked out with the nylon inserts too!
The first challenge was to get an accurate fit of post locations.
Then considerations for adjustment ranges possible.
The action is a perfect 9.5 radius match & lower action than the factory mismatched Tune-O-Matic bridge, so it's a WIN Win!

Overall I would say I put in a lot of work to upgrade from the HH factory configuration. Surprisingly, was not a lot of expense, maybe $200.
It was worth it to me for not only the end result but my hobby nature and curiosity as well!
I've never owned, worked, or even played on a Jaguar before and the knowledge I now understand is fantastic!
I have to say, I have been missing the boat all my life for this 24" short scale and can really appreciate the playability for my smaller hands.

I'll maybe post some sound bites after I tinker with it some more.
But I am no great musician, so don't expect much. Wink LOL
I can twang a bit of 60's surf licks and that will be it.

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement from members of Surf Guitar 101!
Hopefully this post is helpful for others should they decide to explore a Fender Vintera HH upgrade to single coils.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022 15:37:08

I have to say that this has been one of the more enjoyable mods I have ever read about. I could see myself doing something similar, but considering that I am very subtle with the vibrato, I would probably stick with the Tune-O-Matic bridge.

The best part, is that you got what you wanted. The right fingerboard radius, the right color, etc. That’s a real victory. Besides that, I know that I learned a lot, and I am sure I’m not alone in this.

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

synchro wrote:

I have to say that this has been one of the more enjoyable mods I have ever read about. I could see myself doing something similar, but considering that I am very subtle with the vibrato, I would probably stick with the Tune-O-Matic bridge.

The best part, is that you got what you wanted. The right fingerboard radius, the right color, etc. That’s a real victory. Besides that, I know that I learned a lot, and I am sure I’m not alone in this.

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

Thanks Synchro! You have offered some great advice and support!

I did get what I wanted too!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:42:27

Tqi I already have that Yeti

Tqi wrote:

I'm honestly not sure if I'd have done the bridge swap or not. If I was able to get a custom stainless ABM in the right radius then definitely not, but otherwise it's a tough call because I don't have your machining skill. Very Happy

I'd never have thought of your solution either and would probably be sat here trying to work out if I could lathe a custom set of thicker-walled "conversion insets". Though, if you own a lathe that might be a good Etsy product for other Fender owners trying to get out of a ToM. ;)

I'm still slightly scared to make jokes around you, but I will suggest that now you have a second guitar you need a second amp...

(With thanks to MkissiZCreepy on reddit).

Or there's the Excelsior if you like 1x15...

Is that all your stuff, TQI?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022 18:15:18

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next