Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar HH conversion to Single Coils

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

I had posted on another topic about first getting my new Fender Vintera 60s HH and how great it was.
It's an awesome guitar, everything except the vintage sound.
Others here suggested I would not really get the vintage Single coil sound using the humbuckers in split coil mode. It was good but nothing compared to other vintage setups I own like a Strat and Tele equipped with vintage 60s pickups.
There were many reasons to buy this Vintera model, the neck 9.5rad, medium jumbo frets, and most importantly the short scale offered on the Jag.
My hands are small and challenged with fatigue.
The surf green color of course was a must to match my custom made amp.

So I decided to upgrade the pickups, wiring and return the design to 60s.

I heard what some others mentioned about the router depth of the humbucker setups. It's true there will need to be modifications and I will cover that in this process.

Tonight's progress was the tear down of electronics and see what I am dealing with for changes to meet the Fender original wiring schematic.
It's NOT going to be as bad as I thought.

While I wait for new parts to arrive, I worked on the fretboard, something that I like to do on most MIM guitars.

The Pau Ferro finger board is really nice looking especially after the polished fret job and some lemon oil rubbed in.

I'll post my progress on this refit over the next week and soon have a real dedicated twang 60s machine!

As always I hope to hear any suggestions moving forward and might have a few questions for the forum.

Last edited: Nov 02, 2022 18:59:30

If it was me, I would forego any wiring to the upper bout...I never use the "jazz" circuit...but since it's about you and not me, have fun with whatever your decision is!

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:39:39

The pickups came in and I pretty much nailed it from the drawing and measurements I did earlier.
I will have to add 1/4" wood shim, and the 1/2" adjustable foam spring.
I will use a premium 1/4" maple and epoxy set into pocket bottom
The neck pickup needs less.
Waiting for more components.

So another minor mod, I carved out a tool access notch, so you won't have to remove the neck just to adjust truss rod. Still have to remove the pickguard.

Last edited: Nov 03, 2022 19:50:29

Looks like nice workmanship. I’m definitely interested in how this project goes for you. The HBs on this model sound good, but I don’t think that they sound like an original Jaguar. OTOH, the neck radius and the modified bridge strike me as a great feature set.

FWIW, I’m a big fan of the rhythm circuit. I think that was one of the best ideas that they ever had. IIRC, Freddie Tavares came up with that.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Epoxy set maple shims in!
I use quality West System marine grade 2 part epoxy with a mix of microfiber.
The microfiber additive makes the epoxy into a peanut butter consistency and fills in all the voids between the woods.
I have used West System on many guitar projects mostly because I have a supply for other boat building needs.
West System offers the most stability over the widest temperature and wood species of any kind of epoxy.
WEST:Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique

Last edited: Nov 04, 2022 06:38:25

Very cool.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:39:50

Tqi wrote:

You of course realise, at this point you're now just two redrilled mounting cups and a Staytrem bridge away from having an upmarket Classic Vibe. ;)

You know you want to...

Yea but where's the fun in that to just buy one? Anyone can do that....
Wait...
.next I will be modifying a Custom shop Journeyman to put these humbuckers back in! ;)

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:39:58

Tqi wrote:

No I mean, you know you want to swap the bridge out and finish the job. ;)

No I really don't.
I want the Tuneamatic bridge. Days past of strumming Les Pauls are tickling me with delight.
I like the break angle and increased tension. This bridge setup as-is will be likely better than 99% of the 'fixes' I've read of others mods on Jags. Oh wait that Mastery bridge is a worthy investment for my Vibe right?

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:40:12

I'm pretty well grounded now. Cool

The Fender wiring schematic shows a significant number of shields routed with wire.
I'll do away with much of that!

Tqi makes a point which draws my attention to the Tuneamatic bridge.
I would be mostly happy with it as is. Except I had not fully understood how the dynamics work until now.
The mounting posts are threaded shafts, there is no "rocking pivot point" bearing inside thimble, as designed in original bridge or a Mustang bridge.
The only 'rocking' that is to occur is..the slop of threads bearing in the loose threaded thimble.
This is kind of a serious design flaw IMO for a Tremolo.

Checking measurements it looks like I can replace thimbles and outfit for a modern adjustable Mustang bridge.
$20 and probably worth it.
The Tremolo is mounted further forward with more break angle of strings to bridge. I hope I won't bottom strings out on Mustang bridge back flange.

Last edited: Nov 05, 2022 09:40:18

IMHO, speaking as a person that has owned Jaguars with stock bridges, Mustang bridges and the Tune-O-Matic, I’d keep the non-rocking T-O-M, and never look back. Unless you are dive-bombing like Eddie Van Halen, it will serve you well.

synchro wrote:

IMHO, speaking as a person that has owned Jaguars with stock bridges, Mustang bridges and the Tune-O-Matic, I’d keep the non-rocking T-O-M, and never look back. Unless you are dive-bombing like Eddie Van Halen, it will serve you well.

Appreciate that feedback!
Question tho,
The TOM bridge does 'rock' but it's as described..a loose screw fit.
When used as pure fixed as on a Les Paul, there is no movement.
But this Jag appears to use 'slop' in the assembly to rock with Tremolo bends.

There may be some movement with strings in the saddles, which is friction.

I hear what you are saying that the Tremolo action range might be fine on the funky TOM.
But it just doesn't seem right.

The way this mod is going I will continue with the components I have , complete the work and plug it in to test out.

Last edited: Nov 05, 2022 17:06:11

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:41:04

IceratzSurf wrote:

synchro wrote:

Appreciate that feedback!
Question tho,
The TOM bridge does 'rock' but it's as described..a loose screw fit.
When used as pure fixed as on a Les Paul, there is no movement.
But this Jag appears to use 'slop' in the assembly to rock with Tremolo bends.

There may be some movement with strings in the saddles, which is friction.

I hear what you are saying that the Tremolo action range might be fine on the funky TOM.
But it just doesn't seem right.

The way this mod is going I will continue with the components I have , complete the work and plug it in to test out.

I am mostly a Gretsch and Telecaster player. Gretsch guitars have Bigsby tailpieces, which will dive bomb, if so desired. Gretsch makes a bar bridge called the “Rocking Bar Bridge” and I have never observed that it actually rocks. Maybe if you hit it hard enough to drop the pitch a minor third; then the bridge would actually rock, but I’ve never caught it in the act. There does seem to be a small amount of bend at the bridge posts, but it’s a very small amount, and hardly worth noting.

So, in spite of dreaming of owning one when I was first learning to play, I have only owned 2 Jaguars. One was identical to the one you just bought, and I ended up sending it back. The other was a Japanese made RI of a ‘66, which I sort of retreat having sold. I had put some money into it, replacing the OEM pickups with Seymour Duncans and installing a Mustang bridge.

It was a decent guitar, but the bridge decided to tip during a gig, and I played the last handful of songs with the intonation way out of whack and a wicked buzz on the lower strings. The bridge on Offsets has been a sore point for many players, and may well have been the reason that such guitars were not as successful in the market of the ‘60s, as Fender had hoped.

Speaking only for my own opinions, I think that once you finish the pickup swap, you will have an excellent feature set. The tailpiece placement, the T-O-M bridge, the neck radius and fret size are the feature set I would like.

I would have kept my Modified Jag HH, except that the color just didn’t work for me. That might sound a bit strange, but a Surf Green Jaguar hanging alongside a collection of guitars that are all warm colors, just didn’t fit. It stood out like a hooker wearing fishnet stockings in the middle of a convent. Smile I like Surf Green, and appreciate it, but just not in the context of my collection.

Had I kept it, I probably would have done exactly what you are doing, with regard to the pickups. I replaced it with a Candy Apple Red Thinline Tele, that also matches my Bass VI, perfectly. There's no whammy, but it gets a great Surf sound, and is exceptionally versatile, especially with the four-position switch, which lets me put both pickups in series. Here’s a photo of it, during the “cat scan” which is a major part of the receiving inspection that everything entering my home undergoes.

Synchro, that's all very helpful understanding and encouragement!
I shall continue with the refit of the pickups and leave that TOM bridge!
I did work on the bridge saddles a bit and put a slight radius in the notches..very slight, then polished.
If the strings are going to creep they will do so not on the sharp edges.
Under magnification I could see some roughage burrs.

I own a Gretch 6120 with Bigsby and understand how that system works.
The bridge has round bar saddle so there is friction but limited because of the bar width.
Brian Setzer uses a Tuneamatic bridge on his Gretch and then adds graphite powder to the notches.

I also own Strat and of course the Tremolo is more suited for dive bombs.
I put locking tuners on and that keeps the tuning stable.
Speaking of Eddie Van Halen, I sold my EVH Wolfgang Special which is a divebomb machine with the Floyd Rose bridge and locking nut.Its remarkable how it could stay tuned.

So I have pretty much experienced the Tremolo designs except for a Jaguar or Mustang.
I am in New territory and just don't want to learn the hard way.

I also own 2 Telecasters, one is faded sonic blue which is a great 'surf' color. It's got '65 pickups and a 4 way switch.
The other Telecaster is Barncaster with custom shop designed Twisted Tele pickups, standard 3 way switch.
It looks like it got washed up on the beach and had a sharkbite taken..lol

Then I own Fender Acoustasonic which is a real treat to explore tone.

I definitely got a 'Surf green' theme going that I won't turn back!
In fact..I may sell the orange Gretch..for an Anniversary Special in that green color..it never ends.
Even the Fender Uke.
Everything I own I worked on, it brings me pleasure to tweak it.

Last edited: Nov 06, 2022 06:13:16

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:41:18

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next