Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Walk Away Renee by PolloGuitar

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

One of the most beautiful baroque pop songs ever, originally recorded by The Left Banke, then The Four Tops and then so many others. I tried to do it justice in the surf guitar style. All credit due to songwriters Michael Brown, Bob Calilli and Tony Sansone for the amazing melody over a beautiful chord progression. Rolling Stone placed this song number 220 on their list of all time greatest songs.
Unknown to me, the lead singer of the Left Banke, Steve Martin Caro, passed away last week. I hope this version is a fitting memory.
I used a Strat into an Ibanez echo, into a Fender Reverb tank into a Quilter Micropro amp.
Hope you enjoy - Ferenc / PolloGuitar / Frankie PoolBoy

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 12:17:26

Youtube link
https://youtu.be/rf9j33RnF0s

I love it Ferenc! Thanks for sharing!

How long did it take you come up with the arrangement and to truly learn the song?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

I love it Ferenc! Thanks for sharing!

How long did it take you come up with the arrangement and to truly learn the song?

Thanks for listening Brian--
For the last week, I binged on the song, listening to all the different versions of it, Linda Ronstadt, Marshall Crenshaw, Cyndi Lauper, that weird one by Billy Bragg and Johnny Marr, some acapella and instrumental versions-- so many!
I spent a couple hours last Thursday night and again Saturday morning. Then I recorded it Saturday afternoon.
I didn't know the lead singer had died until people started mentioning it after I posted on Facebook.

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

What a wonderful version of one of my own personal favorites as well. Some interesting stories around that song. You really did it proud! Your approach to the bridge (?) part is elegant and beautiful too.

websurfer wrote:

What a wonderful version of one of my own personal favorites as well. Some interesting stories around that song. You really did it proud! Your approach to the bridge (?) part is elegant and beautiful too.

Thanks for listening! I love the bridge and I hope the rhythm guitars come through under the lead. The descending bass lines throughout the song add so much tension.
Yeah- great stories like the guy who wrote the lyrics was in love with another band member's girlfriend.(I don't know who wrote the lyrics, the song is credited to 3 people). But the guy who wrote the music, Michael Brown, was 15 at the time!!!

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Never heard this song before, but I like it!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Yee ha! Great job! Very very nice!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Great job ! One of my favorite songs growing up as well. Thanks for the up close view of your arrangement. I will be adding this to my set list. Thumbs Up

Not familiar with the tune I don’t think, but this rendition is beautiful. Probably a combination of the strength of the original composition (melody & chords as already mentioned), the tasteful use of echo, the wonderful playing, and maybe the subconscious connection of a red Stratocaster but I swear this could have been a HBMarvin/Shadows version.

Really nicely done, Ferenc, enjoyed that!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I've always loved this song, and this is now one of my favorite versions. Kudos, Ferenc!

Bob

Very nice arrangement! The way you play the opening few chords reminds me of turn turn turn by The Byrds

Paul

The Dead Planet Surfers

I had made a comment about the tone of this on FB but would you be so kind to explain what you used to create the guitar tone and effects. It's absolutely beautiful!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

An old favorite - Love it. The fast and furious tunes are getting too much attention these days. The older I get, the more I appreciate the playing of a slow song.

Surfingkentucky wrote:

An old favorite - Love it. The fast and furious tunes are getting too much attention these days. The older I get, the more I appreciate the playing of a slow song.

Yep!

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Thanks everybody for listening, I really appreciate it! It got a really great response, I think the song touched a nerve for many- maybe nostalgia, I don't know. But, i was surprised at how many people said they had never heard the song before. I think I had it on a 45 my older brother gave me, so it's been I'm my life for a long time.

stratdancer wrote:

I had made a comment about the tone of this on FB but would you be so kind to explain what you used to create the guitar tone and effects. It's absolutely beautiful!

It was the same basic set up I do for demos. Guitar -> Echo -> Tank -> Amp.
Here's the settings for everything
Strat was on the treble pickup, knobs all up.
Echo: Ibanez Echoshifter - you can hear my setting when I spank the strings at the end.
Reverb- 6-6-6
Quilter- I used the direct out (no mic) and tone controls at B5, M7, T6 with a bunch of gain and a little compression.

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Very nice.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I've heard this song so many times I thought 'Why cover that?'. Your version is gorgeous and now I know why. Was a time in the distant past when hearing a song like this was a rare treat. Your version is like that. And your playing looks effortless. Thank you.

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Excellent rendition. Nice sweeps and double stops to liven up the melody. As you point out, very pretty chord progression in this tune.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

"I think the song touched a nerve for many- maybe nostalgia, I don't know. But, i was surprised at how many people said they had never heard the song before".

I too, am surprised that some people hadn't heard the song before, but then I'm an old dude and I'm constantly surprised when the youngsters among us don't know some of the classic old songs. There was a lot of great (and not so great) music played back in those days.

While I'm no stranger to this particular song, it hadn't crossed my mind in years and this very nicely played version reminds me of what a cool song it is. I have added it to my "songs to learn" folder.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next