Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New Vintera series replaces Fender's Mexican-made Classic series

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Google News pointed me to this article at the Guitar World website:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-unveils-new-vintera-series-guitars

From the article:

Fender has unveiled its new Vintera series of electric guitars.

Featuring 17 instruments, the vintage-inspired Vintera series includes new Stratocaster, Telecaster, Jaguar, Mustang and Jazzmaster models.

The Vintera series guitars feature specs from decades past, like period-correct neck shapes, new pickups with decade-specific tones and vintage colors, including Mocha, Fiesta Red, Seafoam Green, Inca Silver, Burgundy Mist and Ice Blue Metallic. In addition, for almost every decade correct model, there’s also a counterpart “modded” version that offers fresh features not available at the time the model was first released.

The painted headstocks on the period-correct JM and Jag are cool.

I'm not so sure about the Modified Jaguar. For the right price, I might be tempted by a Player Jag with one humbucker, but I'm not so sure about two. I feel that a Jag should have at least one Jaguar-style pickup, but I should hear what it sounds like before I judge.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Reminds me of the Fender Marauder they never put in production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Marauder

They made this modern Marauder but not like the original proto-type of the 1965-66 catalog picture

For an HH Jaguar, they could do coil-splitting to give some single coil sound options. Of course, it wouldn't be the same tone as a Jaguar single coil, so there's not much point.

On the other hand, they could come up with an actual new pickup for once and design a humbucker that is based on a pair of Jag pickups and see how that would work. Has anybody ever done such a thing?

Nice to see some matching headstocks

Yeah the matching headstock has a classic surf vibe to it.

Not sure what the advantage of changing the pickups out when the bridge and tail stock is so messed up design wise. Too bad they don't put out a Jag with a new design that really works and have new pickup designs like edwardsand is saying.

Fender every once and a while have breakthrough mods, but are far and few between it seems to me. I guess big change up-s cost too much production wise, so they just change out pickups instead. To me the Jaguar needs a total redesign now.

To me the Jaguar designs need a locking nut like they had on the high end Strat's in the mid 80's. Get rid of the bridge design or just get better roller saddles etc or even hard tail it (Do we even need the old design with whammy pedals now? The design is too retro for today, been too many better designed hardware to keep making this outdated design. But ther again would it be a Jaguar or a new guitar?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019 09:31:11

I like this one:

This one is cool, but I prefer the other:

So these NON modified Vinteras have a mustang style bridge...but still 6 barrel saddles with a deep carve for the strings...so no more buzzing bridge. Vintage voiced pickups (A2 I think) by Tim Shaw, 7.25" radius, and the rest is standard.

Not a bad thing, IMO. I really like them, but wish the neck were chunkier...but that's true with all jags.

I was going to purchase one last night online, but decided instead to upgrade the trem on my Squier VM Jag and wait till I start seeing some reviews and maybe some used Vintera's on the market. I really like that Ocean Blue, but would want a different pickguard...maybe a white or white pearl would be better.

Hey guys, I am really liking the white vintera Jazzmaster! To me, it actually looks blonde (which is what I want). What do you guys think of this guitar? I was about to buy one online, but thought I would get a few opinions here first. The sweet thing is, it would match all of my vintage Fender amps! Big Grin

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019 19:29:01

Oh hell yeah! That Olympic white looks super sweet! Pull the trigger! Be the first to give us a review.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

I am just about ready to pull the trigger! Can a Jazzmaster expert please tell me if the specs are really close to an original vintage Jazzmaster?

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

I am just about ready to pull the trigger! Can a Jazzmaster expert please tell me if the specs are really close to an original vintage Jazzmaster?

Mr. Katcher... paging Mr. Katcher...

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I'm more of an expert on vintage Jaguar specs, but everything I see about the Vintera Jazzmaster looks like they are keeping to vintage specs. Of course, according to Fender, the whole point of the series is to match vintage specs (except for the modified versions, of course).

Yeah I guess the Jazzmaster version has the roller saddles on the bridge ? Anyone know?

The Jaguar definitely needs that, but the Jazzmaster seem to work well being the neck is longer and didn't bind up like the Jaguars do. I guess the angle of the strings were just a little too steep to work as well on the Jaguar being the neck is shorter, or at least that's what I think happens.

horax wrote:

I like this one:

99.99% sure I'll pick this one up if the reviews are good.....Birthday just around the corner.....(winks to Wife)

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

Fender's Vintera Series '60s Jazzmaster demo video.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

I read the description of the Jazzzmaster and when I got to their description of the neck being "stout," that kind of blew it for me. I'm a hard core "shallow C" neck guy. Of course one could always take the "Bill Carson approach" and sand the neck until you like the shape.........

Nice looking guitars though. Too bad I already have four.

Thanks for posting the article Tim.

Ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Boss_Daddy_Meltdown wrote:

horax wrote:

I like this one:

99.99% sure I'll pick this one up if the reviews are good.....Birthday just around the corner.....(winks to Wife)

I really want one but would swap the guard to a pearloid.
Maybe when they start showing up used.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:47:29

You got me on the "accuracy" of these guitars Wes, as I haven't really seen one in person yet. I have to be careful when going in to Guitar Center. Several months back I walked in one morning to get a new pair of drum sticks, (I'm currently trying to teach myself how to play drums, having always wanted to learn and finally decided that I'd better get with it), and walked out with an Ibanez AS-73 in cherry red. Forgot the damn sticks. Senior moment I guess. However, having drifted off subject, I've always been impressed with the MIJ and CIJ offsets. I do believe the necks are generally as good or better in feel and play to my hands as any, including my original '65 Jazzmaster. Swap out the pickups (and sorry guys, I like the original AVRI's just fine) any you'd have great value and most likely a lot of satisfaction in a truly affordable offset. One other thing that will probably stir up the ants, I have no problem with poly-u finishes either.

The "new" Vintera series is probably just fine, but if indeed the necks are noticeably "stout" they wouldn't appeal to me as I have short stubby fingers and that would be a poor matchup.

What time does Guitar Center open today?

Cheers,

Ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next