Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New Vintera series replaces Fender's Mexican-made Classic series

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

On the Jazzmaster it says "Thin C" neck profile, and on the Jaguar "Mid 60's", whatever that means. I have never encountered a neck as thin/shallow as the ones on my two mid 90's MIJ Jazzmasters. The couple of mid 90's Jaguar necks I've owned were thinner than the AVRI Jags I've played.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/jazzmaster/vintera-60s-jazzmaster/0149753383.html

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Here is where I remember reading the "stout" description. It came in a new series notice that I received recently from Sweetwater Music. The description does not include mention of a thin-c profile.

Discover Why So Many Players Love Fender's Classic Offset Guitar
Appealing to fans of '60s-style Jazzmasters, the Fender Vintera '60s Jazzmaster solidbody electric guitar delivers vibrant, wide-ranging tone that transcends specific musical styles. Loaded with a pair of Vintage-Style '60s single-coil pickups, you'll have access to the full sonic range offered by the Jazzmaster's iconic rhythm/lead switching configuration. Fender's classic floating vibrato is here to add sweetly subtle warbles and bends. And the maple neck with mid-'60s "C" profile offers the stout-yet-fluid playability Jazzmaster fans love. Complete with a four-ply tortoiseshell pickguard, the Fender Vintera '60s Jazzmaster packs everything you love about Fender's distinctive offset guitars.

Back in the summer of '65 I bought my first Strat, a candy apple red one. A friend of mine in another band had bought one earlier that year in January. The neck on his was like a telephone pole. Mine was much thinner and easier to play. Figure.

Cheers,

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I concur, those two CIJ Jazzmasters have astounding necks.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Hi Eddie and Richard, I'm so glad to have you guys join the conversation. The two of you have had great impact on my my knowledge of surf history and surf gear, for which I am eternally grateful. (For anyone unaware, I am lucky to live in an area with active surf musicians of their caliber.)

Eddie, thank you for sharing where you encountered the word "stout" regarding the Vintera Jazzmaster. I hope to hear differently in reviews from other surf musicians, and I can't wait to get one in my hands to form my own opinion. I know that marketing writers for Sweetwater must generate copy for countless products and that at some point "thesaurus exhaustion" sets in. Hopefully, the choice of "stout" in the description was just an unfortunate blip of no real importance. It is hard to imagine someone trying to sell guitars thinking "stout" in reference to the neck was a good thing. It is like a promoter trying to get people to the ballet by extolling a "stout-yet-graceful" ballerina.

And speaking of a wealth of Jazzmasters (4!) and your new Ibanez AS-73, let me know if you ever decide to thin the herd (as though anyone could ever have too many guitars, or Fender blonde amps. Big Grin )

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019 23:32:18

Hey, Tim!

I was thinking about this when I posted...describing things in relative terms is pretty meaningless without a direct reference. And I think the people writing the ad copy are probably trying to come up with whatever descriptor they think might induce people to give something a try. Unfortunately fewer and fewer guitar stores means ever slimmer chances of finding a particular thing to actually put your hands on. Fortunately there are liberal return policies to account for this.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I think Fender comes up with these modified classics to capture buyers away from used eBay type markets. If you come up with a new model its not on the used market and nothing to compete with new sales in that category,

I saw where sales of guitars are up 2 percent overall, but down in the new guitar market. The average price of guitars are up 48 percent in the last ten years. So there is a lot of money floating around in the used guitar market. So many manufactures are making knock off Fender copies and parts as well. Fender has come up with some cool new models recently and I heard their sales were not hurt as bad as other manufactures were, (All the under 30 crowd buy accoustic guiatrs now and half are women) I guess Katy Perry and Taylor Swift type music is the rage now.

Was about to buy the white Jazzmaster right now, but just noticed Musicians Friend won't ship it until August 6th! I refuse to pay taxes and shipping. Can anyone recommend where I can purchase the guitar without paying either of those? Feel free to PM me. I am so bummed! Cry

Update I can't even buy it from Fender. Apparently, it is not on the market yet.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019 20:26:45

Could be those rascals in Fender's sales projections department are using the old "bait then build" marketing approach.

I remember that Fender's sales department was not informed when planning and building was in-progress on the original AVRI Jazzmasters until about mid-August for the shipping that began around October of that year. In March I had heard a rumor from a reliable source that Fender had plans to re-issue an American made Jazzmaster, and I immediately called my local dealer and tried to order one. His sales agent at Fender claimed to have no information about, knowledge of and could not accept an order without a product part number. I never gave up and began systematically bugging my dealer about once a month. He would then in-turn call Fender and kept getting the same story.

By July Wal's Fender sales agent finally agreed to accept a notice of intent for us to order one if and when. She even wrote up our intent to order on a post-it note and stuck it on the wall in her cubicle. The factory apparently released the product information to the sales department in August and they accepted and verified our order. My number one Jazzmaster may well be the very first AVRI ordered. Additionally we called everyone we knew who might be interested in a brand new American made Jazzmaster. Wal took a lot of orders for those new AVRI's. We were not disappointed when the guitars arrived.

ed

Eddie, thanks for all the detailed information and also for the cool story about possibly owning the very first AVRI Jazzmaster. I am really anxious to buy this guitar, but it looks like I will just have to wait a while longer.

Yeah I feel for you....I can't find much on this Vintera either.

I think they should wait till the guitar is ready to deliver then advertise, because most of us buy on impulse (I got to have it mentality). If you have to wait your so wore out common sense kicks in by the time its out and get cold feet. I'm sure sales nose dive that way.

As a side note I'm surprised Fender hasn't made a copy of the 1968 Jazzmaster with the block inlays with the tabacco finish Don Wilson used for years by now. I think that would be a hit myself with all The Ventures fans out there. Even a custom shop version.

Last edited: Jul 01, 2019 15:04:06

Sam, I agree with what you wrote. They should have the guitar ready to ship the second they start promoting it. I now have to wait over a month to buy it, but by then Dave Ramsey may have changed my mind! Laughing

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:36:03

Just received my Vintera Jazzmaster via overnight courier... I am still at work, but what I can tell you at first glance is this thing is gorgeous!

It is Olympic white, but to me it looks more like a soft blonde (blonde is what I prefer, so that's a good thing). Can't wait to get it home and try it out! Big Grin

Hi SixStringSurfer, Congratulations on your new blonde baby. I don't mean to be pushy, but I was really looking forward to your thoughts after you got a chance to play it. Maybe it speaks for itself if you are enjoying it too much to write. Pics would be nice, too.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Was also waiting to hear some news as I'm interested in the vintera series!

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

I have a classic 50s tele my father in law has the Vintera Tele. I have ‘52 pure vintage pickups (2016 model) in my classic 50’s. The vintera has a slightly fatter neck and maybe the vintera pickups are a bit more balanced across all the strings. The Vintera is a bit lighter (then classic), has a fatter neck, smoother sounding pickups (mix of A2 and A3 mags in each pickup) and is visually nice looking. Not a huge change/upgrade from the Classic 50's tele, but maybe enough for to push you towards the Vintera line. It's a nice guitar. On the flip side, i always thought the MIM Fenders were pretty nice too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019 09:35:40

Sorry, I totally forgot about my earlier post. I don't know enough about specs to go into detail like derekirving did, but here are my initial thoughts. I absolutely love this guitar! It is definitely more blonde than white, and the matching headstock has already gotten noticed by others.

I love the vintage frets, as it makes it easier to play for me. The neck feels great, and isn't sticky or rough feeling. The pickups are very vintage sounding, with the bridge being my favorite position. It's very "surfy" and "chimey" sounding, if that makes sense.

A couple of minor things I will mention that are (hopefully) correctable. The tremolo bar is very low, it touches the pick guard when I use it. After I had a professional setup done, I had the guitar store owner put a spring in the hole, it's much better now. I still may have it raised a hair more.

Next, this guitar buzzes really, really, loud when turned up to 9-10. I took it back today and the store owner agreed something was not right. The luthier will take another look at it. I never noticed it before, because I never turned the knob all the way up. Once these get corrected, it will be my main guitar for a while! I will use it in some videos on our bands website and facebook page.

Overall, this guitar is awesome, and I would absolutely recommend it. It really is gorgeous, and I can't stress enough that it is more of a soft blonde than white. One more thing, it is much lighter than my CP Jag. I hope this review helped someone who was on the fence about getting one.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019 13:23:50

The guitar tech and shop owner still cannot get rid of that loud humming noise when the guitar is turned up to 8-10. This is very frustrating, as the guitar isn't even three weeks old. It's been in the shop more than it has been at my house!

Again, I am very frustrated... I don't even know if Musicians Friend will take it back since it has had a professional setup done. Until this matter gets sorted out, I am going to have to recommend one not buy a Vintera Jazzmaster at this time.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

The guitar tech and shop owner still cannot get rid of that loud humming noise when the guitar is turned up to 8-10. This is very frustrating, as the guitar isn't even three weeks old. It's been in the shop more than it has been at my house!

This sounds like a grounding issue with either a bad solder, loose wire, bad pot or pickguard installation. Maybe contact Fender directly to see what they say. If you talk with Musicians Friends, don't mention it was in a local shop, just say it has a bad hum and you'd like to return. This "maybe" a common issue.

Thanks for the advice, I might just do that.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next