SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Tqi: Synchro, I managed to squeeze the Axial's in. Still working on how to lay them out next to the pots though.
258 days ago

dragonfly: Being homebound I just downloaded SG101 2014 music and loving it. Hooray for downloads. Thanks to everyone responsible. HBISM retired coordinator 2014 Cool
188 days ago

dragonfly: Thanks whoever posted photo of the day with Dean Dick and yours truly. What an awesome day that was. Love to all the surf community!
185 days ago

DannySnyder: People often say "icy" is the easiest word to spell and looking at it now, I see why.
132 days ago

Emilien03: BAJA SURF STOMP!
116 days ago

Emilien03: https://www....
116 days ago

Tqi: Oy, Fender, Orange. One of you, make a 20W starved-plate valve bass amp. Like an Origin 20 with a big OT.
67 days ago

Remora: New member here saying hello
32 days ago

Clint: Ever try to explain “surf music” to friends? A Day at the Beach Podcast #150 can do this for you. It explains how it got started and ends with today’s modern bands and much more. Please share with those unaware… https://www....
24 days ago

synchro: Hello Remora.
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

71%

71%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Source Audio True Spring pedal . . . Sounds promising to me!

New Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Currently trying to wring a clearer / drippier tone from my True Spring to get closer to my outboard Fender unit with little luck. Have emailed Source Audio for some advice. Will report back! Anyone else finding the True Spring tank setting to sound fairly realistic but a little "muddy"?

Robbin Henley (Men in Grey Suits HONOLULU)

https://www.facebook.com/Men-In-Grey-Suits-207897529235582/

www.meningreysuits.com

doctorock78 wrote:

Currently trying to wring a clearer / drippier tone from my True Spring to get closer to my outboard Fender unit with little luck. Have emailed Source Audio for some advice. Will report back! Anyone else finding the True Spring tank setting to sound fairly realistic but a little "muddy"?

If you haven't already, reach out to member @theluckyjackson I believe he works at Source Audio.

If it's muddy, have you trying using the Neuro app and reducing bass and/or increasing treble a bit?

Chippertheripper wrote:

The o11's spring sound is fantastic, no denying that.
Ry hints here about doing a direct one to one between the two.

But, for the technologically challenged, this is how you use SA's app apparently, although he stopped short of what I want the pedal to do, it certainly is less intimidating than straight up programming something.

Hey, I need to chime back in here. Just so everybody knows, I work at Source Audio and the opinions stated in this thread are very important to us. Chippertheripper, what is it you want the pedal to do? Maybe I can help give you a better idea of what's possible with the pedal.

I work at Source Audio, the effects pedal company out of Boston, MA.

doctorock78 wrote:

Currently trying to wring a clearer / drippier tone from my True Spring to get closer to my outboard Fender unit with little luck. Have emailed Source Audio for some advice. Will report back! Anyone else finding the True Spring tank setting to sound fairly realistic but a little "muddy"?

Hey, @doctorock78 I can totally help you dial in the sound you're looking for. As @derekirving mentioned, you can try pulling back the BASS or the TIME with the Neuro App and save those settings to the one of the toggle switch position. I'll drop you a PM.

I work at Source Audio, the effects pedal company out of Boston, MA.

Haven't had my hands on this device, but as an observer of all spring emulations, I find similar inadequacies in most, so, tip for all spring reverb algorithm designers:

If Surf music is your intended crowd, start with WAY TOO MUCH drip as your baseline, then dial it down, not the opposite approach. At 12 o'clock it should already be a definite turnoff for Blues/Rock players. Shock
There's almost no (perceived) pre-delay - the sound is immediate, grand and immersive. Tail can be short but dynamic, it's not a simple fade-out. There are numerous feedback paths in the real thing, and not unlike a piano, the resonances of each note are intermixing, affecting what came before, and what's to come. All characteristics should be incredibly reactive to picking velocity. Also, make every parameter more random, to compensate for whatever code compression or limit is under use.
I still haven't heard a more realistic type4 emu than the VST "Type4" by GSi, they got it right years ago.
Listen to "The Astronauts" a lot.

Last edited: Nov 07, 2018 11:05:53

Ariel wrote:

Haven't had my hands on this device, but as an observer of all spring emulations, I find similar inadequacies in most, so, tip for all spring reverb algorithm designers:

If Surf music is your intended crowd, start with WAY TOO MUCH drip as your baseline, then dial it down, not the opposite approach. At 12 o'clock it should already be a definite turnoff for Blues/Rock players. Shock
There's almost no (perceived) pre-delay - the sound is immediate, grand and immersive. Tail can be short but dynamic, it's not a simple fade-out. There are numerous feedback paths in the real thing, and not unlike a piano, the resonances of each note are intermixing, affecting what came before, and what's to come. All characteristics should be incredibly reactive to picking velocity. Also, make every parameter more random, to compensate for whatever code compression or limit is under use.
I still haven't heard a more realistic type4 emu than the VST "Type4" by GSi, they got it right years ago.
Listen to "The Astronauts" a lot.

Agreed. If you really want to capture the sound of an outboard 2-spring unit, you can't ignore the somewhat chaotic sound of the reverb trail. Some pedals do capture the initial drip, but miss the echoing and cross-talk effects as the signal bounces back and forth in the spring tank. We've heard pedals that simply pair a triggered drip sample with a very bright reverb effect. The drips in pedals with this approach are completely unchanged by the note or pick velocity.

I work at Source Audio, the effects pedal company out of Boston, MA.

Last edited: Nov 08, 2018 10:59:48

Lucky, specifically, I want to put the tremolo first in the signal chain. Then I want to get them both sounding like I want them. And then I just want to plug my board in every time and have it sound the same without touching anything because both are always on.
I’m not a knob twister, really. I just want it to work the same every time without a second thought, which the reason for having a pedal reverb at all, and not just using the tank, at least in this crowd...for the most part.

I just tried the Type4 VST and I have to say I don't find it as good as the one I already use, which is called VeeSpringVerb. Type4 has a lot of knobs but none of them get it sounding as clear as the the other.

I also think the True Spring sounds better than both of them, though.

Redfeather wrote:

I just tried the Type4 VST and I have to say I don't find it as good as the one I already use, which is called VeeSpringVerb. Type4 has a lot of knobs but none of them get it sounding as clear as the the other.

I also think the True Spring sounds better than both of them, though.

Off Topic Nice find Redfeather! Just tried the VeeSpringVerb, sounds good. No controls whatsoever. It helps to hit these plugins with some kind of pre/eq, and get the optimal levels going in.

Last edited: Nov 09, 2018 05:13:27

Delrin96mm wrote:

5) At the moment (apart from a Ditto looper pedal), the Flint IS my pedalboard. For a very reasonable price (when you consider its range of functionality, high design and build quality, and the fact that it's made in the USA) it's made my inexpensive transistor amp capable of producing a veritable ocean of top-notch sounds. I feel great affection for it and will never sell it.

Never say never! And never wax lyrical about how great a digital pedal and a sold-state amp sound until you've tried a valve amp with onboard analogue reverb and tremolo.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018 10:12:58

There are some very willing and able x‘ister and digital counterparts today.
Like you just said, don’t knock it til you try it.

Chippertheripper wrote:

There are some very willing and able x‘ister and digital counterparts today.
Like you just said, don’t knock it til you try it.

You're absolutely right, Chipper. I'm just retrospectively a little angry with myself for having talked certain things up, e.g. the Strymon Flint, which I have now sold, before I'd given myself the opportunity to try out some of the old school valve and analogue gear and make some kind of informed choice. When I first joined this forum, I was really keen on the idea of trying to build the Surfy Bear and Surfy Trem kits. However, too many work and family committments soon scuppered that plan. I thought the Flint would be a (relatively) affordable and convenient compromise, and for a while it was. But I've now reached the point where I know what I want: a Vox AC15 C1X, whose oft-maligned spring reverb tank I actually like. Before I bought the Flint, I did try out a couple of cheaper trem/verb options (Danelectro Spring King, Tone City Tiny Spring, Mooer Trelicopter, Valeton Waveshaker) and didn't like any of them. I also had the chance to try out the EHX Oceans 11 recently and didn't like that either. Maybe the Source Audio True Spring is really good, I don't know. It's just that all these options and variations on a theme that no one can really agree on are giving me a bit of a headache. I also now know for definite that I don't like digital emulations of things. The one thing pretty much everyone on here seems to agree about is that the Surfy Bear is terrific. So if, once I've finally got my AC15 and had it for a while, I decide that I do want a proper, full-on, surfy outboard spring reverb tank, I'll just save for how ever long it takes and get myself a pre-built Surfy Bear.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018 15:05:01

Goto Page: Previous 1 2
Top