Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Source Audio True Spring pedal . . . Sounds promising to me!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Currently trying to wring a clearer / drippier tone from my True Spring to get closer to my outboard Fender unit with little luck. Have emailed Source Audio for some advice. Will report back! Anyone else finding the True Spring tank setting to sound fairly realistic but a little "muddy"?

Robbin Henley (Men in Grey Suits HONOLULU)

https://www.facebook.com/Men-In-Grey-Suits-207897529235582/

www.meningreysuits.com

doctorock78 wrote:

Currently trying to wring a clearer / drippier tone from my True Spring to get closer to my outboard Fender unit with little luck. Have emailed Source Audio for some advice. Will report back! Anyone else finding the True Spring tank setting to sound fairly realistic but a little "muddy"?

If you haven't already, reach out to member @theluckyjackson I believe he works at Source Audio.

If it's muddy, have you trying using the Neuro app and reducing bass and/or increasing treble a bit?

Chippertheripper wrote:

The o11's spring sound is fantastic, no denying that.
Ry hints here about doing a direct one to one between the two.

But, for the technologically challenged, this is how you use SA's app apparently, although he stopped short of what I want the pedal to do, it certainly is less intimidating than straight up programming something.

Hey, I need to chime back in here. Just so everybody knows, I work at Source Audio and the opinions stated in this thread are very important to us. Chippertheripper, what is it you want the pedal to do? Maybe I can help give you a better idea of what's possible with the pedal.

I work at Source Audio, the effects pedal company out of Boston, MA.

doctorock78 wrote:

Hey, @doctorock78 I can totally help you dial in the sound you're looking for. As @derekirving mentioned, you can try pulling back the BASS or the TIME with the Neuro App and save those settings to the one of the toggle switch position. I'll drop you a PM.

Haven't had my hands on this device, but as an observer of all spring emulations, I find similar inadequacies in most, so, tip for all spring reverb algorithm designers:

If Surf music is your intended crowd, start with WAY TOO MUCH drip as your baseline, then dial it down, not the opposite approach. At 12 o'clock it should already be a definite turnoff for Blues/Rock players. Shock
There's almost no (perceived) pre-delay - the sound is immediate, grand and immersive. Tail can be short but dynamic, it's not a simple fade-out. There are numerous feedback paths in the real thing, and not unlike a piano, the resonances of each note are intermixing, affecting what came before, and what's to come. All characteristics should be incredibly reactive to picking velocity. Also, make every parameter more random, to compensate for whatever code compression or limit is under use.
I still haven't heard a more realistic type4 emu than the VST "Type4" by GSi, they got it right years ago.
Listen to "The Astronauts" a lot.

Last edited: Nov 07, 2018 11:05:53

Ariel wrote:

Haven't had my hands on this device, but as an observer of all spring emulations, I find similar inadequacies in most, so, tip for all spring reverb algorithm designers:

If Surf music is your intended crowd, start with WAY TOO MUCH drip as your baseline, then dial it down, not the opposite approach. At 12 o'clock it should already be a definite turnoff for Blues/Rock players. Shock
There's almost no (perceived) pre-delay - the sound is immediate, grand and immersive. Tail can be short but dynamic, it's not a simple fade-out. There are numerous feedback paths in the real thing, and not unlike a piano, the resonances of each note are intermixing, affecting what came before, and what's to come. All characteristics should be incredibly reactive to picking velocity. Also, make every parameter more random, to compensate for whatever code compression or limit is under use.
I still haven't heard a more realistic type4 emu than the VST "Type4" by GSi, they got it right years ago.
Listen to "The Astronauts" a lot.

Agreed. If you really want to capture the sound of an outboard 2-spring unit, you can't ignore the somewhat chaotic sound of the reverb trail. Some pedals do capture the initial drip, but miss the echoing and cross-talk effects as the signal bounces back and forth in the spring tank. We've heard pedals that simply pair a triggered drip sample with a very bright reverb effect. The drips in pedals with this approach are completely unchanged by the note or pick velocity.

Last edited: Nov 08, 2018 10:59:48

Lucky, specifically, I want to put the tremolo first in the signal chain. Then I want to get them both sounding like I want them. And then I just want to plug my board in every time and have it sound the same without touching anything because both are always on.
I’m not a knob twister, really. I just want it to work the same every time without a second thought, which the reason for having a pedal reverb at all, and not just using the tank, at least in this crowd...for the most part.

I just tried the Type4 VST and I have to say I don't find it as good as the one I already use, which is called VeeSpringVerb. Type4 has a lot of knobs but none of them get it sounding as clear as the the other.

I also think the True Spring sounds better than both of them, though.

Redfeather wrote:

I just tried the Type4 VST and I have to say I don't find it as good as the one I already use, which is called VeeSpringVerb. Type4 has a lot of knobs but none of them get it sounding as clear as the the other.

I also think the True Spring sounds better than both of them, though.

Off Topic Nice find Redfeather! Just tried the VeeSpringVerb, sounds good. No controls whatsoever. It helps to hit these plugins with some kind of pre/eq, and get the optimal levels going in.

Last edited: Nov 09, 2018 05:13:27

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 14:52:55

There are some very willing and able x‘ister and digital counterparts today.
Like you just said, don’t knock it til you try it.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 14:53:16

Goto Page: Previous 1 2