SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Emilien03: https://www....
233 days ago

Tqi: Oy, Fender, Orange. One of you, make a 20W starved-plate valve bass amp. Like an Origin 20 with a big OT.
183 days ago

Remora: New member here saying hello
148 days ago

Clint: Ever try to explain “surf music” to friends? A Day at the Beach Podcast #150 can do this for you. It explains how it got started and ends with today’s modern bands and much more. Please share with those unaware… https://www....
140 days ago

synchro: Hello Remora.
129 days ago

dragonfly: Dick Dale was my best friend and my rock. I loved him unconditionally and he will be greatly missed. R.I.P. dear one you deserve it.
90 days ago

TheAmpFibian: People are always shocked to find out how bad of an electrician I am.
81 days ago

dragonfly: Pic of the day HBSM Jam 2012 was during my tenure. OMG do I miss those days but nowadays I couldn't handle it. No
63 days ago

dragonfly: Pic of the day OMG how I loved The Torquays and miss them very much. Yes
47 days ago

simoncoil: FWIW my guess for the ending of GoT was a surprising "Invasion fo the Dragonmen" (Hey-ho, hey-ho ...)
30 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

23%

23%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink dual mix control pedal for 6G15 Reverbs!

New Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Want a second mix level for your 6G15 style reverb? You can get it with a modified on/off footswitch - basically, instead of shunting the whole reverb signal to ground, you control how much to ground with a potentiometer. I made a demo, attached:

Last edited: Apr 08, 2018 21:09:37

Note, circuit wise, this isn't the same as a second mix control. This controls how much of the reverb pan return signal is fed into the reverb recovery tube.

It sounds pretty much the same, so I’d say it’s a fair call. It’s got me thinking, an old Wah Pedal could be converted to such use fairly easily and give you a real-time mix comtrol for reverb. Now, we need a way to make it go to 11. Smile

photo

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.
My Guitar WebSite
Dead Thread

So, no modification to the unit, just plugging a pot into the footswitch jack? That's pretty neat. A nice way to bring a tube reverb onto your front-of-stage pedalboard.

Synchro, don't trash a good wah pedal! Waste of a good circuit. An expression pedal is cheaper, and easier to convert - or you can just plug one of these in and have done with it.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Line-6-EX1-Expression-Pedal/EQI

They who die with the fewest control knobs, win.

Tqi, yup, it's basically the stock footswitch with a 10K pot in series with the on/off switch. I thought about making an expression pedal - you could do that, set the on board mix to 10 and control your reverb level with the pedal.

Great idea! You could add a true on/off switch to complete the circuit. And it could work on a Surfy Bear too! Where is my toolbox?...

Frank

Yes, a very good idea!
Not many surf guitarists want to disable the reverb, a second mix level is more usable! Smile

surfybear.weebly.com

With that in mind: Small suggestion if anyone wants to build one of these? Two pots. That way you can set on/off states, or high/low, or high/slightly-less-high - and then toggle between them with the footswitch.

They who die with the fewest control knobs, win.

I've done some drawing and came up with a possible schematic for this. The only thing I'm not sure of is the value of the pot. 10k seems a bit low to me so maybe 100k or even 220k could have a more significant effect. I'll experiment with that later.

It occurred to me it would be handy to have a few LEDs as indicators for both switches, so I added a 9 volt battery to power these. Most footswitches come with 9 connections nowadays so plenty of room for such an addition. The battery should last for a very very long time. More later.

image

Frank

Last edited: Apr 09, 2018 04:52:57

bjoish wrote:

Yes, a very good idea!
Not many surf guitarists want to disable the reverb, a second mix level is more usable! Smile

Agreed. When I was using reverb, and nothing but reverb, I was adjusting the mix with every song.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.
My Guitar WebSite
Dead Thread

Mel,
What a cool idea, I could go from Baja to Hawaii Five-0 different levels of reverb with a footswitch! Yes Please!

Craig Skelly
www.thebreakaways.com
www.thecurlriders.com

Mel is a genius. I've been coming up with different solutions to the problem of switching from heavy drip to moderate reverb ever since I took up surf guitar, with varying degrees of success. To think the solution was so simple.

And then Mel just shares it with the world instead of trying to sell it. He's the Jonas Salk of the surf music community!

Danny Snyder

aka Mycroft Eloi of The TomorrowMen
aka Shecky Shekels of Meshugga Beach Party
aka El Viejo Gringo of Combo Tezeta

I want buns of steel. But I also want buns of cinnamon.

DannySnyder wrote:

Mel is a genius. I've been coming up with different solutions to the problem of switching from heavy drip to moderate reverb ever since I took up surf guitar, with varying degrees of success. To think the solution was so simple.

And then Mel just shares it with the world instead of trying to sell it. He's the Jonas Salk of the surf music community!

I think he’s overdue for that Noebel Prize. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.
My Guitar WebSite
Dead Thread

synchro wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

Mel is a genius. I've been coming up with different solutions to the problem of switching from heavy drip to moderate reverb ever since I took up surf guitar, with varying degrees of success. To think the solution was so simple.

And then Mel just shares it with the world instead of trying to sell it. He's the Jonas Salk of the surf music community!

I think he’s overdue for that Nobel Prize. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.
My Guitar WebSite
Dead Thread

synchro wrote:

synchro wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

Mel is a genius. I've been coming up with different solutions to the problem of switching from heavy drip to moderate reverb ever since I took up surf guitar, with varying degrees of success. To think the solution was so simple.

And then Mel just shares it with the world instead of trying to sell it. He's the Jonas Salk of the surf music community!

I think he’s overdue for that Nobel Prize. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.
My Guitar WebSite
Dead Thread

Gilette wrote:

image

This was more what I had in mind:

image

(Without LED's, for simplicity) - Being able to set two arbitrary levels and then switch between them with a single stomp.

The 6G15 schematic uses 250K pots for both dwell and mix, so it seems obvious to use that value for this; but yes - some testing required.

They who die with the fewest control knobs, win.

The 10K value is based both on experimentation and the location in the circuit - it's a path to ground at the reverb pan return. I started testing with 500K pots and nothing happens over most of the sweep. I tried 250Ks and that did the same. The pan return resistance is 2.25K, so I found the pot in my parts bin with the closed value above 2.25K. Also, it's important to use linear vs audio sweep for even effect.

Remember, the mix control on the tank still functions; this pedal is subtractive from that.

The wiring is very simple as you can see in the photo below. Drilling out the pedal case took more time.

image

MelWaldorf wrote:

The 10K value is based both on experimentation and the location in the circuit - it's a path to ground at the reverb pan return. I started testing with 500K pots and nothing happens over most of the sweep. I tried 250Ks and that did the same. The pan return resistance is 2.25K, so I found the pot in my parts bin with the closed value above 2.25K. Also, it's important to use linear vs audio sweep for even effect.

Remember, the mix control on the tank still functions; this pedal is subtractive from that.

The wiring is very simple as you can see in the photo below. Drilling out the pedal case took more time.

image

Good call. 10k it is.

Frank

Should have thought of this earlier - the vib/rev footswitch from the combo amps are easy to convert, too.

image

Here's a look inside. I used the shielded reverb part of the cable and swappped in the 10K pot in place of the footswitch.

image

Goto Page: 1 2 Next
Top