Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink dual mix control pedal for 6G15 Reverbs!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Want a second mix level for your 6G15 style reverb? You can get it with a modified on/off footswitch - basically, instead of shunting the whole reverb signal to ground, you control how much to ground with a potentiometer. I made a demo, attached:

Last edited: Apr 08, 2018 21:09:37

Note, circuit wise, this isn't the same as a second mix control. This controls how much of the reverb pan return signal is fed into the reverb recovery tube.

It sounds pretty much the same, so I’d say it’s a fair call. It’s got me thinking, an old Wah Pedal could be converted to such use fairly easily and give you a real-time mix comtrol for reverb. Now, we need a way to make it go to 11. Smile

photo

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:34:02

Tqi, yup, it's basically the stock footswitch with a 10K pot in series with the on/off switch. I thought about making an expression pedal - you could do that, set the on board mix to 10 and control your reverb level with the pedal.

Great idea! You could add a true on/off switch to complete the circuit. And it could work on a Surfy Bear too! Where is my toolbox?...

Yes, a very good idea!
Not many surf guitarists want to disable the reverb, a second mix level is more usable! Smile

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:33:57

I've done some drawing and came up with a possible schematic for this. The only thing I'm not sure of is the value of the pot. 10k seems a bit low to me so maybe 100k or even 220k could have a more significant effect. I'll experiment with that later.

It occurred to me it would be handy to have a few LEDs as indicators for both switches, so I added a 9 volt battery to power these. Most footswitches come with 9 connections nowadays so plenty of room for such an addition. The battery should last for a very very long time. More later.

Last edited: Apr 09, 2018 04:52:57

bjoish wrote:

Yes, a very good idea!
Not many surf guitarists want to disable the reverb, a second mix level is more usable! Smile

Agreed. When I was using reverb, and nothing but reverb, I was adjusting the mix with every song.

Mel,
What a cool idea, I could go from Baja to Hawaii Five-0 different levels of reverb with a footswitch! Yes Please!

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

Mel is a genius. I've been coming up with different solutions to the problem of switching from heavy drip to moderate reverb ever since I took up surf guitar, with varying degrees of success. To think the solution was so simple.

And then Mel just shares it with the world instead of trying to sell it. He's the Jonas Salk of the surf music community!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Mel is a genius. I've been coming up with different solutions to the problem of switching from heavy drip to moderate reverb ever since I took up surf guitar, with varying degrees of success. To think the solution was so simple.

And then Mel just shares it with the world instead of trying to sell it. He's the Jonas Salk of the surf music community!

I think he’s overdue for that Noebel Prize. Smile

synchro wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

I think he’s overdue for that Nobel Prize. Smile

synchro wrote:

synchro wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

I think he’s overdue for that Nobel Prize. Smile

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:33:51

The 10K value is based both on experimentation and the location in the circuit - it's a path to ground at the reverb pan return. I started testing with 500K pots and nothing happens over most of the sweep. I tried 250Ks and that did the same. The pan return resistance is 2.25K, so I found the pot in my parts bin with the closed value above 2.25K. Also, it's important to use linear vs audio sweep for even effect.

Remember, the mix control on the tank still functions; this pedal is subtractive from that.

The wiring is very simple as you can see in the photo below. Drilling out the pedal case took more time.

MelWaldorf wrote:

The 10K value is based both on experimentation and the location in the circuit - it's a path to ground at the reverb pan return. I started testing with 500K pots and nothing happens over most of the sweep. I tried 250Ks and that did the same. The pan return resistance is 2.25K, so I found the pot in my parts bin with the closed value above 2.25K. Also, it's important to use linear vs audio sweep for even effect.

Remember, the mix control on the tank still functions; this pedal is subtractive from that.

The wiring is very simple as you can see in the photo below. Drilling out the pedal case took more time.

Good call. 10k it is.

Should have thought of this earlier - the vib/rev footswitch from the combo amps are easy to convert, too.

Here's a look inside. I used the shielded reverb part of the cable and swappped in the 10K pot in place of the footswitch.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next