Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Bakersfield Country and '60's Surf Guitar

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Long time reader but first time poster. Thought you guys might appreciate this.

https://youtu.be/jLAiEDsTqic

Last edited: Jul 07, 2017 08:15:11

This topic has interested me for some time. The Buckaroos has a unique sound as compared to the standard Country fare of the ‘60s. It isn’t much of a stretch to imagine them pulling off a Surf tune and doing it justice. Likewise, I could imagine any number of Surf bands playing Buckaroo or one of Buck’s other instrumentals and absolutely nailing the sound.

Jaguars were not solely designed for Surf, IIRC. I recall reading that they were conceived as a Country instrument, but hit just about the time that Surf reached critical mass and they turned out to be the Surf axe for a lot of players. I had a CIJ RI of a ‘66 Jag and it absolutely nailed the bright Tele sound. I remember taking a solo on a Country piece with that guitar and the Tele-playing rhythm guitarist in the band looking at me agape because I had out Tele’d his Tele.

The great migration of people from Oklahoma to California brought some interesting musical influences to the area. OK was a hotbed of Western Swing and, of course, Country. The people that settled in the Central Valley helped to spawn the Bakersfield sound, while those whom settled nearer the coast brought their influence into a different setting with the movie industry nearby. There was a strong Country music scene throughout SoCal and I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Country Rock was centered in the LA music scene. Was there crossover from the Surf music world? Ask Jim Messina.

While genres have their use, I prefer to build my musical boundaries to be flexible. When I was a small child, listening to the Rock n’ Roll of the late fifties, it struck me that this was not all that different from the Country music I heard at the time. While Surf music is distinct and has traits which are unique, it is not without external influence. Before Surf there was the Instrumental Rock of Duane Eddy and others. I believe that Surf grew from those roots, but with unique characteristics which were not shared by other genres. In many ways, Surf replaced the Instrumental Rock that came before it and there was very little in the way of Instrumental Rock until Santana came along.

However, during the sixties, Buck and the Buckaroos played plenty of instrumentals. They weren’t Surf Guitar, but they definitely had some common ground. IIRC, Don Rich played a Mosrite for a time, and you can’t get much more Surfish than that. Smile

The timing was fortuitous. I was born in 1954 and my older sister listened to early Rock n’ Roll, so I heard the music of the late fifties and early sixties as it first hit the airwaves. Surf came along when I was about seven years old and I heard it in real time as it grew. I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and watched as Rock n’ Roll became Rock, a time of mixed blessings. At the same time, Buck Owens was knocking them out of the park one after another with some great Country music that even Rock fans could appreciate. It was a great time for music.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I just gotta ask: isn’t there any of this guitar-centric music happening in SoCal these days? If anyone in LA is interested, I’d like to start such a band.

Squink Out!

Ditto. I'd love to form a surf/bakersfield style band. Synchro, you available? I'm not too far from you and have a drummer in Benson.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Matt22 wrote:

Ditto. I'd love to form a surf/bakersfield style band. Synchro, you available? I'm not too far from you and have a drummer in Benson.

I’m in a band, but I’d be up for a jam sometime.

Sending you a pm.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Just saw THIS on bandcamp today.

FritzCat wrote:

Just saw THIS on bandcamp today.

. . . and I bought a copy. These guys are fantastic! This is perfect, from my perspective. It’s great Surf and the Bakersfield element adds nicely. One thing I really like about the Bakersfield Breakers is that they are nailing the sound I like. Some modern Surf bands sound harsh to my ears and some overdo it on the reverb. These guys seem to have found a great balance. They are definitely not schmaltzy, but they are not harsh. They sound like Bakersfield, and they sound like Surf.

I’ve had the opportunity to listen to more of this album since buying a copy and importing it into iTunes. These guys are GOOD.

I love the format, Guitar, Bass and Drums. Some beautiful chord work and the sound is of the highest quality. It has the brightness of the Bakersfield sound and it certainly is a very credible Surf sound, but it is balanced. Some bands play a characature of these sounds, these guys, IMHO, have it nailed.

Thanks for posting this, Fritz, if you’re a Boy Scout you can chalk this up as your good deed for the day. Smile

Hey All,
It’s Keith from The B Breakers. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the nice things you all are saying about our second release Dune Buggy. It means so much to have people that appreciate and get what we are trying to do. Thanks again.
Our first release is also available from Bandcamp and it is titled - In The Studio With The Bakersfield Breakers. Also Streaming on Spotify, Pandora etc. as The Bakersfield Breakers and The B Breakers.

Keithisguitar66 wrote:

Hey All,
It’s Keith from The B Breakers. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the nice things you all are saying about our second release Dune Buggy. It means so much to have people that appreciate and get what we are trying to do. Thanks again.
Our first release is also available from Bandcamp and it is titled - In The Studio With The Bakersfield Breakers. Also Streaming on Spotify, Pandora etc. as The Bakersfield Breakers and The B Breakers.

Welcome to SurfGuitar 101, Keith. I literally just finished an email to John Hamilton, including some samples of Clutch Draggin’ and the Lug Nuts material. We are not a Bakersfield/Surf band, per se, but we are a band that does a lot of Country and a lot of Surf. I am a huge fan of the Bakersfield sound and heard Buck’s hits in real time as they were on the charts. Likewise for Surf, my older sister listened to Top 40 radio in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, while I took it all in.

Thanks for posting and thanks for making some truly fine music.

Synchro

Great stuff Keith,
I gave In the Studio a spin on Spotify while I was at work today. Looking forward to hearing more.

Howdy, friends! Another BBreaker in the mix - this is John, the bass player. Big thanks to Fritz and Synchro for the push and the nice comments!

BB, do you live in LA? I’m looking for a bassist who wants to do something Bakersfieldy-Burbankish.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

BB, do you live in LA? I’m looking for a bassist who wants to do something Bakersfieldy-Burbankish.

Sorry to have to bear disappointing news, but these guys Surf the other ocean. Smile They harken from the city that never sleeps, or at least the immediate surrounding area.

It could be worse, imagine being a Surf music fan whom has lived in Minnesota, Colorado and Arizona. There might be some waves to Surf in Lake Superior and I guess you could torture the definition of surfing into covering skiing the Colorado Rockies, but the only thing one can Surf in my current digs are the Dust Devils. Smile

Keep looking, my friend. There are Surf Music fans hiding in places you’d never expect to find them. Players are out there too.

JohnBBreaker wrote:

Howdy, friends! Another BBreaker in the mix - this is John, the bass player. Big thanks to Fritz and Synchro for the push and the nice comments!

Welcome to Surf 101, John. Some real fine folks at this forum and now we have two more.

Purchased Dune Buggy, great stuff. You guys need to do a rig run down. I hear a B-Bender and Baritone in the stuff from "in the Studio"

synchro wrote:

JObeast wrote:

Sorry to have to bear disappointing news, but these guys Surf the other ocean. Smile They harken from the city that never sleeps, or at least the immediate surrounding area.

It could be worse, imagine being a Surf music fan whom has lived in Minnesota, Colorado and Arizona. There might be some waves to Surf in Lake Superior and I guess you could torture the definition of surfing into covering skiing the Colorado Rockies, but the only thing one can Surf in my current digs are the Dust Devils. Smile

Keep looking, my friend. There are Surf Music fans hiding in places you’d never expect to find them. Players are out there too.

Hmm, Colorado, Minnesota, even Arizona...nah, there's never been any legendary bands from those states, not even in the 60s!!!...

All kidding aside, Bakersfield Breakers, I am thoroughly enjoying checking you guy out!

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017 12:15:46

Really digging the Bakersfield Breakers too!
I see you're in New York/New Jersey, do you play out at all?

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

spskins wrote:

synchro wrote:

JObeast wrote:

Hmm, Colorado, Minnesota, even Arizona...nah, there's never been any legendary bands from those states, not even in the 60s!!!...

All kidding aside, Bakersfield Breakers, I am thoroughly enjoying checking you guy out!

Yep, except The Trashmen, Bob Dylan, The Astronauts, Johnny Smith, Bill Frisell, Duane Eddy and Lee Hazelwood, nobody would ever have heard of these places. Smile

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next