Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Bakersfield Country and '60's Surf Guitar

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

I was noticing similarities between the guitar tones and playing in Bakersfield Country and '60's Surf Guitar. A lot of it was recorded in LA using Fender reverb amps only Telecasters vs. Jag's, Jazzmaster's and Strat's. There are Spanish influences in both. And a lot were recorded around the same time. And for music recorded on Capital Records, probably a lot of the same musicians. Did James Burton ever do any surf sides? I'll have to check into that.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Watch the movie about the Wrecking Crew for an education. That sax on the Marketts "Balboa Blue" and "Surfer Stomp" was jazzman Plas Johnson backed by the Wrecking Crew.

Happy Sunsets!

I could easily see Roy Nichols and Don Rich/Buck Owens making great surf guitarists.

I remember reading a Buck Owens interview where he admitted that he and Don played Jaguars for a bit. Buck also had a good relationship with Leo.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Lost count of the country bands I saw at NCO clubs during 2 tours in Germany (60's & 70's) but Fenders were widely available from the Army & Air Force audio clubs near the bases. The absolute other guitar for guys that didn't care for a Tele was an offset, usually a Jazzmaster. Both of those are incredibly versatile guitars for that music. Several promo pics in the Fender Archives book have country artists with a Jaguar.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I recently had occasion to read up a little on Don Rich. Buck did have an endorsement deal with Fender who supplied the band with Twin Reverbs and Don with several bound sparkle Teles over the years. I thought it was funny that the agreement was to trade in the old instruments for the new, but they wouldn't give the old guitars back. This resulted in losing their deal with Fender and signing up with Gibson for a while. They eventually went back to the red, white, and blue Fenders custom painted by Gene Moles.

I think the sound was part of the So Cal "stew" going on at the time. Fender guitars and lots of treble. They purposely boosted the treble to cut through on the car radio speakers of the time. It would surprise me if they were listening to or influenced by surf music, but it's a neat thought.

They say Buck was never the same after Don was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident at age 32. Of course at the time, they were trying to get back to the earlier success they had enjoyed. When I saw Buck about 25 years ago (touring behind a bump in popularity thanks to Dwight Yoakam), he was playing one of the silver sparkle teles.

Its no secret that Leo Fender loved western swing and straight country including the Bakersfield sound ..and LA was a hotbed of this sound with the Ranch Party tv show bringing all the hot acts to town ...getting these guys to use Fender gear gave Fender lots of visibility ..and testers who would take the new gear out on the road and give valuable feedback on what worked and what didnt .The loud , bright, clean sound was tailor made for the Buckaroos .
I watched HeeHaw with my Dad a lot when it came on..not because I was a big country fan but because it was a chance to see great players and hot licks on tv every week ...it must have made an impression because to this day I'm a big Buck/Buckaroos fan . both Don and Buck were great players; Buck would play polkas very fast, lots of cool picking .
Fortunately there is LOTS of video out there to document it.
Buck got sick of the HeeHaw program and hayseed image because he was far from that..a shrewd business man , he not only had hits of his own ,he was label mates with the Beatles who also did his songs , he owned a string of radio stations that played his records and he would tour Japan with great success ...any but a country bumpkin ..and he didnt owe the Nashville scene anything .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017 17:43:30

Enjoying this thread as Buck, Don and HeeHaw were probably one of my earliest exposures to the Fender electric guitar sound and imprinted profoundly. Echoes of LA-Bakersfield twang were bouncing around 35 years ago when I was a teenager who wanted to get into a guitar band in LA myself. Anyone remember the Long Ryders? To this day, Dallas and Travis Good of the Sadies bear some of that influence into the musical present. I think Nashville can continue to go its own way along with REO Speedwagon and Bon Jovi... but real country music lives between the desert and the beach in SoCal. Also Marin Co.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Echoes of LA-Bakersfield twang...

Well before Long Ryders or any of that, got married before I shipped out again and we were so broke we got married in Van Nuys and drove up in a little bug-eye Sprite to honeymoon for a few days visiting friends in... Barstow.
But we had a radio. Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

If you are ever in Bakersfield or passing through, stop at the Crystal Palace. This was Buck's restaurant and concert venue. It's still going strong, with great food and a stage and sound system second to none. Lots of Buck's outfits and Fender Guitars on display!
Reverbmike

Here are a few interesting points to ponder:

1) Approx 1952-53, Joe and Rose Lee Maphis write " Dim Lights Thick Smoke" about the Blackboard club in Bakersfield. A young Buck Owens would frequently appear there.

2) Maphis becomes the house guitarist on the TV show Town Hall Party in LA. His young proteges were the Collins Kids. If you believe Dick Dale, he was on THP, and dated Lorrie. I asked him a long time ago if Joe had an influence, and he said of course ( well, I am sure it was a longer answer than that, but that was the gist of it).

3)Nokie Edwards was playing guitar for Buck in Tacoma Washington in 1959. Around the same time, he joins the fledgling Ventures. And of course the Ventures had as big an influence on the origination of surf music as anyone.

4) Merle Travis' son Thom Bresh was in the Oxnard surf
band Chiyo and the Crescents and he played a Jaguar. At the same time he was hanging around with a young Brian Lonbeck of Bakersfield, who played a double neck Mosrite. If you want insane instro playing, look them up They still play together today!

Not that any of this means anything, and it involves Mosrites as well as Fenders, but I hadn't thought about it in a long time.

Of much more importance to the well being of the world is that fact that Ralph Mooney played a Fender pedal steel on Bucks first few albums. Look up Bucks song " You're For Me" for some Mooney goodness.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017 20:37:28

Be careful Mel. Your point 3 is fine with me,but will not set well with a lot of folks here.

Happy Sunsets!

Spot on Mel!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Thanks, uncle Mel. Can you tell us about Gene Moles? Huh? can ya, can ya huh? Pleease?

Squink Out!

This thread may be the most intriguing thing I've read on SG101 in a long time and I'm hoping it will spark a deeper interest in the fertile guitar-driven musical culture of SoCal in the classic period. For a good couple decades here then surf, country and pop music maintained a guitar edge that defined the era which ended after the mid-60s with the intersection of artistic self-consciousness and protest against the war.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017 03:51:07

Tahitijack, I'm sure folks here believe The Ventures had no influence on the early surf acts. There are also people who believe the world is flat. But how important is that argument anyway? Hooray for everyone, says I!

sonichris, thank you.

JObeast, if you want some good stuff on a Gene Moles, send a friend request on FB to his son Eugene Moles. He posts pics and info on his dad fairly regularly. Fascinating stuff. And good call me n the Long Ryders and The Sadies. I have everything the Sadies have ever recorded. Wonderful band and highly recommended.

You know, a Bakersfield is the first place outta LA where you know you are not in LA anymore. Was, is and will forever be a place wholly unto it's own. I, for one, love the town. All of Kern County, for that matter.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017 16:47:37

There was a lot of cross-pollination of musical styles and players back then. I didn't know that Nookie played with Buck in Washington. I'm still curious if James Burton played on any surf sessions. I sent him a note on Facebook, but haven't heard back. He might not even remember considering how many sessions he played. Tommy Tedesco probably played a few.

Good posts everyone.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

My limited understanding of this would be that the "Bakersfield Sound" is contrasted to Nashville going with a less treble "softer" type sound.
Fender's proximity had to influence all of it, as Bakersfield is a lot closer to the LA surf scene than Nashville is! The gear, the engineer's radio dial, the "Scene" all had to be mixed in and co-influential. A lot of LA at that time was agricultural, so the ag and surf communities were very close to each other (more so than now).
"The music style features a raw set of twin Fender Telecasters with a picking style (as opposed to strumming)"
This quote from wikipedia "Bakersfield Sound" is interesting, as it talks about a "picking style" opposed to strumming, which also blends in with the surf picking style.

I would think sessions guys like the Wrecking Crew, Glen Campbell, Bob Bain, Tommy Tedesco, etc. etc. would all be mixed in here somehow as well.

I REALLY don't know much about this.. but thought I'd just chime in anyways.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 18:07:28

choice_of_meat wrote:

My limited understanding of this would be that the "Bakerfield Sound" is contrasted to Nashville going with a less treble "softer" type sound.

Of interest and in support of your theory - most 50's and 60's Nashville cuts were not played with Telecasters or Fenders for that matter.
Most of the session guys were using 335's, Gretsch, even D'Angelicos, all typically "smoother" sounding guitars when compared directly with a Tele and it's old style wiring circuit.
Nashville more often than not relied on the pedal steel for it's twang and whine.
Tele's became much more popular in Nashville in the later 60's and early 70's.
A lot of folks aren't aware of this.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Just today on my bike ride, I listened to the "walkin' the Floor" podcast- the Merle Haggard interview. I'm paraphrasing, but at one point the interviewer asks Merle Haggard about the difference between the Bakersfield Sound and what was coming out of Nashville at the same time. Merle Haggard says something to the effect of that in Nashville their music came out of church and bluegrass while in Bakersfield it came out of the oil fields and the beer joints. He then talked about how barely any of the Nashville stuff had a drummer on it and how they didn't allow the drummer onstage at the Opry when Bob Wills played there, the drummer had to be behind a curtain and that drums weren't really accepted as part of the Nashville country sound until much later. MH also said that along with the drums, The Bakersfield Sound was basically the same instrumentation as rock n' roll band with a pedal steel player added on and that they even sometimes had a saxophone. Nowadays, that sounds like a lot of Nashville too, but back in the 60s, Nashville had string arrangements, choruses of background singers, pianos and stand up bass. Very slick and sophisticated.
He then went on to say that the Telecaster was built by Leo Fender for Junior Barnard, one of the guitarists for Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, who obviously were not from Bakersfield, but played there all the time and influenced the Bakersfield Sound. They also brought the Tele to country music, so everyone in Bakersfield had to have one to be like their hero. He said that more than the other Bob Wills guitarists, that Junior Barnard was basically playing rock n' roll. I found this quote in a Vintage Guitar article-
___Heavily influenced by blues guitarists and Chicago jazz great George Barnes, Lester “Junior” Barnard (b. 1920) had none of Shamblin’s subtlety or Wyble’s finesse. In fact, Herb Remington, who played steel guitar alongside Barnard in the Playboys from 1946 to ’48, recalled, “When he went to play a chorus on the bandstand, he just looked like he was gonna rip the neck off the body of the guitar.”

Nonetheless, six decades later, his style – characterized by a thick, distorted tone, string bending, and swooping, slurred runs – remains unique and unforgettable.___

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 16:39:39

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next