Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 15" speaker advice

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I just got my Ampeg Gemini V (same as the Gemini II basically) from the amp Dr. today. I knew the speaker in it wasn't original, and while it doesn't sound bad, I'd like suggestions from the good folks of SG101.
So I'm looking for an 8Ω 15" speaker. I was thinking of a Weber California but recently saw a Weber Ferromax 15F150 and read some good things about it.
Anyone have experience with these speakers or care to make other 15" advice? Thanks
Gatorfiend

I've got a Weber 15F150 (50W version) in an extension cab. They're awesome guitar speakers - not for bass guitar.

Don't get the 30W version though, its too under-rated for most amps.

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017 19:24:30

Thanks. Yeah the one I was eyeing is rated 50W. The Gemini V is 30W so I was looking to get something at least 50W.
My amp Dr. has a '66 Gemini II, my V is a '67. They originally had Jensen Concerts, which is what his has and they sound sweet, but vintage Jensens can be pricey.
I had a modern Jensen 12" I used with a Bandmaster but didn't really care for it after spending time with it, which is why I was checking out Webers.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017 20:20:34

I can definitely recommend the Weber California speakers. Get the aluminum dome if you're trying to get close the typical vintage JBL sound.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Thanks Las.

I've heard Surfer Joe's rig and it was impressive, like a lush, smooth JBL. He apparently uses an Eminence EPS-15C. I'd like one for my birthday. Smile

I've heard the Weber California connected to a Quilter head and I thought it was great. Course the owner knew how to play. Smile

I have a Weber Michigan Ceramic that I use with my Tweed style amps...sounds great...it's not super bright...might not be the best choice for a dark amp

I also have a Weber Blue Dog Alnico...it has the standard Alnico thing going on...

Both are very nice...

Eminence has a couple that look interesting as well but I've never tried any...

I'm having a 1x15 tone ring cab built for my Gomez Surfer (100 watt). Is the Eminence Commonwealth and the Eminence EPS-15C the go to speakers for a 100 watt head? The Weber California is only 80 watt handling. Anyone have advice? Much appreciated.

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

ncgalt1984 wrote:

I'm having a 1x15 tone ring cab built for my Gomez Surfer (100 watt). Is the Eminence Commonwealth and the Eminence EPS-15C the go to speakers for a 100 watt head? The Weber California is only 80 watt handling. Anyone have advice? Much appreciated.

I'm using the same Weber with a Quilter 101 Mini head (100 watts) and it handles it fine. I emailed Weber about the handling power before ordering one and they responded back stating it should he fine. While the Q101 pushes it hard in certain settings it really does sing.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

ncgalt1984 wrote:

I have the Eminence EPS-15C in a tonering cab with my Gomez head, works great once broken in. Smile

I snagged a barely used Weber Ferromax F150 off reverb for $63. I figure that's almost half of what a new one would cost, why not?
Weber's site says they're part of their vintage line and are based on late 50s/early 60s Jensen Chicago speakers. Should work well.

Wow! Sweet looking rig heepeejeep, very cool!

ncgalt1984 wrote:

When Dario was making the Head & Cab, he used the Commonwealth 15 which appears to no longer be made (tech sheet is still available to compare speeds 'n feeds with though.)

I am sure there are other great current production options available, but I've only known the Commonwealth 15 in mine (w/ Tone Ring) and have always liked it and never been compelled to go searching for anything different.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

ncgalt1984 wrote:

I have 2 tone-ring cabs for my Gomez - Surfer head.
One is equipped with the Eminence 'EPS-15C' and the other one with the Eminence 'Commonwealth' (I also have a 2x15" cab with JBL D130Fs).
Here's my quick review:

Eminence 'EPS-15C': very hi-fi sounding, can handle the power very well. Tight! Easy to carry.
Eminence 'Commonwealth': grittier than the EPS-15C. Has a more aggressive tone. Lush. Heavy
2x15" JBL D130F: well, what should I say. IMO there is nothing better sounding than this, BUT it is nailed to the floor and I wouldn't take it to a show. Heaviest!

My choice would be the Eminence 'Commonwealth'. It's a little bit heavier, of course, but the extra grit is what I prefer.
Can't say anything about the Weber, but 80W seems a little bit low for a 100W amp. IIRC, the rule of thumb is double the power for the speaker. So if you have a 100W amp, you should use a minimum of 200W for the speaker.
I've tried a vintage JBL D130F in a tone-ring cab. They are 80W (and 8ohms) and I didn't get a good result. It started to distort very soon, too soon.
If I was touring, I'd take out the Eminence 'EPS-15C', but only to travel a bit lighter.
Hope that helps.

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017 03:25:20

I have an ElectroVoice EVM15, and it sounds fabulous. Loud, clear and bulletproof. Significantly cheaper than the EVM-12.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

SanchoPansen wrote:

ncgalt1984 wrote:

I have 2 tone-ring cabs for my Gomez - Surfer head.
One is equipped with the Eminence 'EPS-15C' and the other one with the Eminence 'Commonwealth' (I also have a 2x15" cab with JBL D130Fs).
Here's my quick review:

Eminence 'EPS-15C': very hi-fi sounding, can handle the power very well. Tight! Easy to carry.
Eminence 'Commonwealth': grittier than the EPS-15C. Has a more aggressive tone. Lush. Heavy
2x15" JBL D130F: well, what should I say. IMO there is nothing better sounding than this, BUT it is nailed to the floor and I wouldn't take it to a show. Heaviest!

My choice would be the Eminence 'Commonwealth'. It's a little bit heavier, of course, but the extra grit is what I prefer.
Can't say anything about the Weber, but 80W seems a little bit low for a 100W amp. IIRC, the rule of thumb is double the power for the speaker. So if you have a 100W amp, you should use a minimum of 200W for the speaker.
I've tried a vintage JBL D130F in a tone-ring cab. They are 80W (and 8ohms) and I didn't get a good result. It started to distort very soon, too soon.
If I was touring, I'd take out the Eminence 'EPS-15C', but only to travel a bit lighter.
Hope that helps.

Awesome review, SanchoPansen. That's exactly the kind of review I'm looking for. Based on this, it sounds like the Commonwealth is more in line with what I am looking for.

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

ncgalt1984 wrote:

Awesome review, SanchoPansen. That's exactly the kind of review I'm looking for. Based on this, it sounds like the Commonwealth is more in line with what I am looking for.

Cool, let me know when you have it. Would love to hear your opinion and would love it more to hear you play it.

The Hicadoolas

Serial number shows the speaker is a CTS(Chicago Telephone Supply?) from a Baldwin, made the 24th week of 1959. Thing still sounds pretty good. 58 years old!

SanchoPansen wrote:

I have one of these (Dual Showman Reverb) cabs. This is my go to speaker box at home. It stays where it is. I go to it LoL.

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017 19:14:55

Goto Page: 1 2 Next