Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Worst performing experience and how you survived?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Interesting stories...and new horrors playing live...

Anyone got home from a two hour drive back from the venue to find your bass player left his bass back at the venue?

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

No but that's not good if it was a good bass? Or worse you left the bass player behind!

Da-ron,
Well, how old is your bass player? Is he(she) some goofy teenage snowflake? If so, OK, turn to page 2.
But if it's an adult - chronologically, by age at least - then you're dealing with a particular strain of a genuine stupid ass; to put it in a straightforward manner. It takes a particular quantity (or lack thereof) of common sense to forget or misplace an instrument worth at least several hundred dollars back at a venue. Does this person of particularly acute perception handle his own equipment?

BTW, if this person is careless enough to leave an instrument behind, I'd be reluctant to even shake hands with them as it sounds like they may also be the type that forgets to wash their hands after bathroom business.
And good luck with all that..
J Mo'

philjudd wrote:

No but that's not good if it was a good bass? Or worse you left the bass player behind!

It didn't matter if it was good bass or not, it was his only bass!

I remember the words, "Well, do you want to drive back and get it?", which thankfully he declined, and went back the next day to get it. On the bus - it took him hours.

To be fair, we both had guitars in gig bags - he saw me put my guitar in the van and for some reason assumed it was his bass. We also had a drummer who once forgot his drum stool. I don't think I've forgotten anything in the band, but did famously turn up at work barefoot with no shoes. For some reason I thought they were at work, and had to ask my boss if any meetings were scheduled that day as I, ha ha, didn't have any shoes. It made getting some lunch difficult!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I can top that, although it happened to a friend, not me. A friend was playing an outdoor event which involved a foot race through several communities. They were playing one area along the way and about the time they were packing up, the police decided that things had gotten a bit rowdy and closed off the area. Unfortunately, his Jaguar Baritone Custom was in the closed-off area and he was not allowed to retrieve it. That was the last time he saw it.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

shake_n_stomp wrote:

Syndicateofsurf wrote:

...Soon after the singer smashed my mic at another gig onstage. He refused to replace it. I said enough.

...And thus Mr. Syndicateofsurf saw this as the sign to dedicate his life to instro surf. Cool

The End.
Paranoid

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Well, we made a gig the last hours on the last day of a little music festival. Everybody there was tired after those 3 days of excitment. The woman that made us coma was in her late 50's or more, very nice, still drunk and not very charming. During the all show she sat just in front of the stage in a lying chair. She was wearing a short dress. We had a direct view on her underwear during the 45 minutes of the gig.

We didn't survive.

http://noskons.bandcamp.com/

da-ron wrote:

philjudd wrote:

It didn't matter if it was good bass or not, it was his only bass!

I remember the words, "Well, do you want to drive back and get it?", which thankfully he declined, and went back the next day to get it. On the bus - it took him hours.

To be fair, we both had guitars in gig bags - he saw me put my guitar in the van and for some reason assumed it was his bass. We also had a drummer who once forgot his drum stool. I don't think I've forgotten anything in the band, but did famously turn up at work barefoot with no shoes. For some reason I thought they were at work, and had to ask my boss if any meetings were scheduled that day as I, ha ha, didn't have any shoes. It made getting some lunch difficult!

I had the same as a bass player with a guitarist always forgetting his leads! He had all his other gear but no leads. And he would always end up borrowing my good spares. And often wrecking them.So for a series of gigs I made sure my spares were old bad ones. After being threatened by other band members for noise and crackling issues constantly he started bringing his own cords....he blamed me to which all I could say was " Sorry Bro...but if you had your own you'd have no issue!"

Frelonvert wrote:

Well, we made a gig the last hours on the last day of a little music festival. Everybody there was tired after those 3 days of excitment. The woman that made us coma was in her late 50's or more, very nice, still drunk and not very charming. During the all show she sat just in front of the stage in a lying chair. She was wearing a short dress. We had a direct view on her underwear during the 45 minutes of the gig.

We didn't survive.

Yikes...

Wow awesome and hilarious stories! I love this thread, and the horror stories one too. It’s especially wonderful to hear of stuff from “back in the day!”

I can’t say anything really destroyed me at a show, yet. Once it starts whatever happens is gonna happen. I hate breaking a string so I bring extra guitars and swap em out.

In the early 2000s I was in a surf band in Boston called They’re Gonna Get You and we played a lot of dive bars. I remember almost every show being told the guitar was too loud. It was a 100w Twin. My response was always to not do anything. I always wear ear plugs. I also always bring earplugs to any musical event. People would yell at me for wearing them while the Twin was blaring. I always had the thought “who told you not to bring earplugs?!” Now, obviously that’s a proper venue for loudness, at a wedding or other function I’d hate it if I needed earplugs! I don’t think my band will ever play anything other than a confirmed loud music event.

False starts are something I love to see, it’s a moment of honesty. When they happen in my band it just makes me laugh. I do hate it when the drummer messes up a dramatic pause. My new outfit Blood Reef played our first show in a super dive bar in Kenner, LA recently. We had a grand total of about 10 false starts, five on one song! Needless to say we weren’t ready to play but got offered the gig and jumped in. Why not? It’s not like I’m going for a polished super tight and clean sound anyway.

Daniel Deathtide

Reading through this thread again today made me realize that most of my ‘70s gigs were sub-optimal, if not outright disasters. I can only blame myself for most of these, although with the accordion player incident there was enough blame to go around, many times over.

One incident which stood out in my rereading of this thread was the pedalboard failure during an Olympic show. What is it with these pedalboards? My pedalboard had been unused since an April gig (we are on hiatus, with our drummer out of state) and when I plugged it in a couple of weeks ago; no sound whatsoever. It’s carefully built, properly wired and everything is tied down and organized, but the durned thing wouldn’t pass a signal until I tweaked it and fiddled a bit. That’s bad enough in my living room, but had I been playing a high-profile gig and that had happened I would have hurled it into orbit. Smile

Once played bass in a 40 min set for a benefit with no songs and the lead singer reading his poetry book he wrote as the lyrics. Cool

wavestorm wrote:

Once played bass in a 40 min set for a benefit with no songs and the lead singer reading his poetry book he wrote as the lyrics. Cool

That’s painful even to contemplate.

Maybe not a totally bad experience but unexpectedly Surf related...

When I was young and dumb and noodling around with Classical guitar in college (and had only just begun to discover instro surf) I had a dinky repertoire of maybe 6 or 7 decent classical songs, half of them out of Mel Bay books, and a buddy convinced me to play for money at a cocktail reception being held at the opening of his fiancee's Dad's law office. My buddy (who didn't play) piled on the compliments about my playing so I think my ego more than anything led me to say OK.

Armed with my trusty Yamaha and wearing my finest cheap slacks and dress shirt, I was parked in a corner on a stool and essentially played chamber music for three hours. No one said when I could stop or when I could take a break but they also didn't say the open bar was off limits. It was sheer absolute boredom and after the first hour and a half of cycling through my pitifilly small "set" I could tell everyone was as tired of my playing as I was.

BUT I had also recently bought the J&tN Album "Surf Beat '80" and had been getting into some of those great tunes. With the liquid courage instilled via a couple three or more Greyhounds from the open bar (I didn't know playing was such thirsty work!) I finally said to heck with it and I ripped into a passable classical fingerpicked version of "Rumble at Waikiki".

And right then came the moment I will never forget: immediately after playing the intro part this gaunt old old guy who had been standing nearby, turned around, looked at me and nodded in approval, like, "yeah, that's coool". Absolute highlight of the evening.

To my suprise I actually eventually received a check as well, which I felt a little bad about as payment was somewhat undeserved IMO given my non-pro status and bar tab, but, well, like I say they were lawyers so I cashed it quick. Cool

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 16:16:29

Last Saturday my surf instrumental band, Gene Pool & The Shallows, had a gig and as per usual I donned a pair of 50s style non-prescription glasses and adopted a terrible faux-US accent. It’s all part of the act…my voice slipping back into an English accent every now and then, and explaining why our lead singer Gene Pool can’t make it (detained at customs/giving evidence at the Mueller inquiry/etc. etc) so we can only play instrumentals. This time, we were supporting some good friends and there were a few other singers in the audience, so adopting my worst US accent I said “Hi guys! You may see we don’t have a lead singer, and are probably wondering why? Well, I’ll explain…do you British guys have a word in your dictionary, w**ker?” It got a lot of cheers.

Anyway, I’m just setting the scene for the disaster…

Halfway through the gig the glasses were annoying me so I took them off, to which an audience member shouted “F**k me! It was Clarry all along!”. Good one. I’m going to plant someone in the audience in the future for that. We then embarked on Misirlou as a tribute to Dick Dale and messed up 2 times…not even the intro, we’d got as far as the second “verse”. I had to wave to the band to stop. I couldn’t hear anything I was playing on the high string. It must have been some sort of frequency clash so I got the rhythm to switch pickups. We could have abandoned it, but it’s a tribute, so no. Trying to remain calm, I made a big show of putting the glasses back on, resumed the US accent and the tune went perfectly…

I like to think the audience thought it was part of the act. It was a non-surf audience, so I hope so. But that moment in the spotlight when things don’t go right…ouch!

Two things here…no three…

Stay in character…my alter ego persona obviously helps me.
My friends and I use too much bad language in public.
Anyone meeting me at the Surfer Joe festival in June can request to hear my US accent.

And as an aside. Out new rhythm player, is being trained up to be our lead player as he is a far superior guitarist to me. He can do the fast stuff and I’ll do the “Shadows” stuff. He also builds and repairs guitars. Here is his site Guitar Shed

Back in the early '80's our rock band got a last minute booking for New Year's Eve at a golf country club over in east-central Alabama. We scrambled like hell to get everything together and make the 9:00 start time. When we arrived, everyone in the place was wearing a cowboy hat........... Bad sign.

Apparently, our agent at Hit Attractions in South Carolina had lied through his teeth about our song list. Our first set was a complete and absolute disaster. We spent our breaks in the men's room trying to figure out how to fake songs and make some of what we could play, sound "country........" We didn't even have our normal lead singer that night...... You can bet that those in attendance were not members of the "Happy Campers Club," neither were we members of the band. Damn, was that a long night and an even longer drive back to Atlanta.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher wrote:

Back in the early '80's our rock band got a last minute booking for New Year's Eve at a golf country club over in east-central Alabama. We scrambled like hell to get everything together and make the 9:00 start time. When we arrived, everyone in the place was wearing a cowboy hat........... Bad sign.

Apparently, our agent at Hit Attractions in South Carolina had lied through his teeth about our song list. Our first set was a complete and absolute disaster. We spent our breaks in the men's room trying to figure out how to fake songs and make some of what we could play, sound "country........" We didn't even have our normal lead singer that night...... You can bet that those in attendance were not members of the "Happy Campers Club," neither were we members of the band. Damn, was that a long night and an even longer drive back to Atlanta.

ed

I hope you sacked that manager
...that is a real dishonest move for both parties...did you know Ghost Riders in the Sky? Maybe half an hour of that might've apprased them?

Playing a small festival at a golf driving range (!), about 10 mins into our set the timed sprinklers popped up and did their thing. Problem was, they were behind the stage and alongside the audience! Electricity and water - not a good mix! No-one died and no equipment was permanently damaged (thank goodness)

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

OzReverb wrote:

Playing a small festival at a golf driving range (!), about 10 mins into our set the timed sprinklers popped up and did their thing. Problem was, they were behind the stage and alongside the audience! Electricity and water - not a good mix! No-one died and no equipment was permanently damaged (thank goodness)

That is truly terrifying man, glad no one was hurt!

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next