Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Worst performing experience and how you survived?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

What is your worst experience or experiences playing live gigging. When everything went pear-shaped and headed into nightmare territory.
What coping mechanisms have you used or found worked best to survive or deliver the performance? Could be your own gear or playing, the band itself or dealing with the public or venues you've played at.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 14:21:41

We played a gig (in DC maybe?) where we were so out of sync. Not sure if it was lack of practice or beer, but we were introducing new material and there seem to be a lot of hesitation, equipment malfunctioning, a broken string and it was getting embarrassing.

After two blown intros and exits, I stopped the guys and said "Dudes, Miserlou in E, can you frickin' play that?" You know what, we did and then after that and we played another familiar (comfortable) original. It gave everyone time to settle in and re-adjust gear/volume. Then we went back to our set list, asked someone to bring us some beers from the bar and all was well!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

ArtS wrote:

We played a gig (in DC maybe?) where we were so out of sync. Not sure if it was lack of practice or beer, but we were introducing new material and there seem to be a lot of hesitation, equipment malfunctioning, a broken string and it was getting embarrassing.

After two blown intros and exits, I stopped the guys and said "Dudes, Miserlou in E, can you frickin' play that?" You know what, we did and then after that and we played another familiar (comfortable) original. It gave everyone time to settle in and re-adjust gear/volume. Then we went back to our set list, asked someone to bring us some beers from the bar and all was well!

Hi ArtS great story.

Yes when I do anything live, if I am in charge, I set up at least three tunes we all know well to warm into it. Often then you can even role through the messups as confidence is up and we're warmed up.
Had some gigs where the group leader starts off with tha hardest tune or most arranged one dnd it's like everything caving around you.

I do alot of gigs with jazz groups on bass where we turn up and read off charts. All good until something is called needing some arrangement.

Had one gig recently where the guy on sax leading us called Night in Tunisia...hard at the best of times with rehearsal. It was like watching the frontline catch fire. Slowly two saxes and trumpet whimpered out, the pianist got lost with the frontline cocking it up. Complete balls up. In the end it was just the drummer snd I still playing, so we looked at one another and went into a swing and called a blues everyone knew. But he kept calling these tunes all night. Similar things kept happening. Don't think I will be doing that gig again in a hurry.

Sometimes though I have done duets with a guitarist, with myself moving between bass and sax. And we mess up a tune and it gets the biggest clap and response of the night. But that's jazz not surf!

Sincerity, cucumber-coolness, and getting to work to rid the gremlins is what I have learned to do over the past 20-odd years of performing. And if those things don't work, fake it. Big Grin

No severe emergencies like deaths on stage or curtains catching fire...let's see...
- Bass guitar completely FUBAR right on the first note of a show.
- Amp crapping out right before a show.
- Loose wiring in guitar constantly shocking me throughout the set, re-soldered during the break, back to performing.
- guitar cutting out mid-way through song (air guitar and smiled through to end of song while other guitarist played on)
- popping strings on floating-bridge guitars (all strings going out of tune as a result)
- Lead vocalist leaving due to death in the family within a few days of a 3.5hr charity show and the rest of us had to suck it up and cover the lead vocals...none of us qualified lead vocalists (non-surf cover band)
- Plugging the lead guitarist/lead vocalist's guitar into my rig mid-song because their amp suddenly went FUBAR after the intro. Chuck Berry's riff blew up his amp Wink
- Infected left-hand thumb making the playing of every note and every chord excruciating during a 3hour gig. This was also the gig that one of my bandmate's soon-to-be-ex-wife had just tried to commit suicide due to an overdose of sleeping pills - and given that she was already post-stomach pumping and sleeping in the hospital by the time he was informed of this, he finished the gig before racing off to be by her side.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 16:04:37

shake_n_stomp wrote:

Sincerity, cucumber-coolness, and getting to work to rid the gremlins is what I have learned to do over the past 20-odd years of performing. And if those things don't work, fake it. Big Grin

No severe emergencies like deaths on stage or curtains catching fire...let's see...
- Bass guitar completely FUBAR right on the first note of a show.
- Amp crapping out right before a show.
- Loose wiring in guitar constantly shocking me throughout the set, re-soldered during the break, back to performing.
- guitar cutting out mid-way through song (air guitar and smiled through to end of song while other guitarist played on)
- popping strings on floating-bridge guitars (all strings going out of tune as a result)
- Lead vocalist leaving due to death in the family within a few days of a 3.5hr charity show and the rest of us had to suck it up and cover the lead vocals...none of us qualified lead vocalists (non-surf cover band)
- Plugging the lead guitarist/lead vocalist's guitar into my rig mid-song because their amp suddenly went FUBAR after the intro. Chuck Berry's riff blew up his amp Wink
- Infected left-hand thumb making the playing of every note and every chord excruciating during a 3hour gig. This was also the gig that one of my bandmate's soon-to-be-ex-wife had just tried to commit suicide due to an overdose of sleeping pills - and given that she was already post-stomach pumping and sleeping in the hospital by the time he was informed of this, he finished the gig before racing off to be by her side.

Wow some full on scenes there. Life throws curveballs that's for sure. Thanks for sharing. Makes everyone realize this crap happens to everyone.

I remember seeing Billy Sheehan with Steve Via do a running repair on his bass amp with a soldering iron mid song. He said he did repairs all the time. It was part of his job.

Nothing worse than kicking off a song and someone is either in the wrong key or out of tune.

Drummer od'd from pain pills and alcohol six songs into set. Called someone out of audience to try to finish set. Drummer fired as we loaded up early.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Gig horror stories

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Most recently last year..
Spent a good part of last year - not every waking second - but sufficient time and effort in making chord charts, arrangements, even practice CDs - about 12-15 instrumentals -for fellow players for a yearly festival. After three rehearsals spread out over spring and summer, it all looked and sounded pretty good.

I arrive at the fest and notice that our drummer for the first half of our set sets up his drums off center stage near the kitchen. He might just as well have set up in the next town. Oh yeah, he doesn't own or bring a set of drum mics so no PA to amplify his out-in-east-jamoke drum location. The monitors weren't anywhere around him. Very bright. The event organizer doesn't have the brains to tell him to move his drums - NEXT TO AN ADJOINING SET OF DRUMS WITH MICS. OK nothing I can do. And this guy just has to (naturally Rolling Eyes ) play "his" drums.
After the first number (an easy Duane Eddy piece) he leaves his drums; catches a bus or subway over to me center stage to tell me he can't hear me or the bass. The other payers might as well have been n another zip code - GREAT!
I turn my Showman toward him with little good result. I and the bass still can't hear him and the idiot promoter tells me I'm playing TOO LOUD (my Showman is dialed in with volume set at '3'!!
Aside from that, this drummer played as if he never listened to the practice CD made for him. As mentioned - we had 3 rehearsals - the last one 2 weeks before the gig with all sounding good. He forgot most of it.

Thankfully our second drummer had enough brains to use the center stage mic'd drum kit. But another tune in the set called for another band mate to take a solo. When it came time to solo, I got the "deer in the headlights" look from him. I had to do his solo to cover up.

For a cherry on top of it all:
The 'E' string on one of my favorite Mosrites kept popping out of it's bridge saddle. I had to switch guitars. All this nonsense ate into my set time that had been well rehearsed (or so I thought) and paced. Pissed me off immensely.
When I took the offending Mosrite back to the hotel room after the gig, so help me - I wailed on the 'E' string with machine-gun staccato picking with the same heavy pick I used at the gig. The damn 'E' string stayed put.
Other than that, I had a good time...
J Mo'

J Mo'
Chuckle-chuckle, I feel your pain my brother. Great story and told with such detail that I felt like I was on stage with you rolling my eyes. I constantly put together practice CDs and set lists. Only til recently do I think they actually listened, cause last practice the drummer said "I think I'm playing the tempo a bit faster than the cd you gave me..." Alleluia, they listened!!!

Best of luck next gig! Yes

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Lol...I have done so much with charts and CD's that think have just ended up on someones bedroom floor...try to pick up early sign of disinterest in practise nowdays when finding to play with. Half running a band is babysitting sometimes...thanks for the stories...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 22:23:38

Great stories! I think it's stuff like this that justifies stage fright.

We once did a gig for an audience of 12 people in a venue fit for 500. Worst af all, the audience were members of rivaling gangs and they ended up fighting before we could finish the first set! Luckily the police ended it all. Worst night ever!

philjudd wrote:

Half running a band is babysitting sometimes...

Hilarious because it's true

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Gilette wrote:

We once did a gig for an audience of 12 people in a venue fit for 500. Worst af all, the audience were members of rivaling gangs and they ended up fighting before we could finish the first set! Luckily the police ended it all. Worst night ever!

Where was that gig at?

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

ArtS wrote:

philjudd wrote:

Not that I have such an issue with my bandmates, but if you think it requires babysitting to manage a band, I would say it is worse than babysitting! Why? Because at least with real babysitting the baby actually grows up! Big Grin

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

ArtS wrote:

Gilette wrote:

Where was that gig at?

It was a youth center in Alkmaar, the Netherlands, but it was nearly 30 years ago! Two weeks after the gig the city council closed it down because of the regular fights and disturbances. Turned out, the night we played was the last straw. Not quite the kind of impact we hoped to have made!

I played one gig where I could smell something hot - I was singing and playing at the time. Turned out to be my amp cover lying on a stage light. I tried pulling it off with my foot but it wouldn't budge. In the brief gap between songs I reached over and yanked it off by hand - it was really smoking by now. The light came on straight into my eyes and blinded me. I dived back to the mic to sing, and because I was blinded, I smacked myself in the mouth with the mic, chipping a tooth. As my vision cleared I glanced over at the cover to see a corner of it was trapped in my guitar case and it slowly flopped back onto the light.
I have no idea what my hands or voice were doing...

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 10:09:28

Back when I played da blooze, we were playing at a club where the dancing crowd came right up to the edge of the small stage. A lady fell into the stage at just the right angle to knock all three microphones into the teeth of the three of us who were at the front. Felt bad.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 12:16:17

shake_n_stomp wrote:

ArtS wrote:

philjudd wrote:

Not that I have such an issue with my bandmates, but if you think it requires babysitting to manage a band, I would say it is worse than babysitting! Why? Because at least with real babysitting the baby actually grows up! Big Grin

I have worked with a few manbabies. Women tend to be way more adult unless they are in the Diva category...not many of those in surf...☺

Gilette wrote:

Great stories! I think it's stuff like this that justifies stage fright.

Every bands dream to play a soundtrack for a bar room brawl... Cheers

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 14:33:37

At the opposite end of the scale - we played a biker do in Cornwall. We'd done a few and they'd gone OK. This one though - we started to play and everyone, I mean everyone left the venue. We played to two bar staff and a guy heckling us. It sounded awesome in the big reverby room, but there was no one watching. We played our show like proper professionals.

When we finished I went outside to see how many where hanging around outside and there was nobody outside either. The whole site was deserted. While we were packing up the woman who booked us came up and paid us the full amount and was very apologetic.

Apparently there was some biker politics/show of strength thing going on with Hells Angels putting on a rival bike rally that everyone was 'obliged' to attend. I couldn't believe a club would put on a do, pay for a venue and a band then just go somewhere else! But we played, got paid and left intact.

That was the last biker do we ever did, and hope we don't get asked to do any more - just in case it goes the way a friend's band responded:
Biker: "We'd like you to play our clubhouse"
Band: (gulp) "I'm afraid we're busy that night"
Biker: "I haven't told you what day it is yet"
Band: "Ah."

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017 06:38:00

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next