Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Dick Dale's The Beast in the transitional Burgundy Mist/Candy Apple Purple in '63!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Looks like The Beast had a few paint jobs over the years - just wonder who actually apinted it -was it Earl Schibe auto or some Surf Board builder etc

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/post/391445/

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

What I was trying to get at with my last post was, that DD often claims to have played only one Strat (the Beast) throughout his whole career. Yet there is this silver/black Strat in the exhibition attributed to him, while the Beast is still with DD. Maybe this was an earlier guitar he had? I also remember reading somewhere, that Fender originally was not very keen on the idea of lefty guitars, and that DD actually had one of the first lefty Strats ever built.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Simon, I personally am stumped. I have no idea what guitar that could be that's on display. I also always got the impression from DD that he's only ever had this one Strat given to him by Leo, The Beast.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

In the thread on Strat talk.com

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/pre-cbs-strats-at-songbirds.446014/

they mention that the leftie above was not credited as a Dick Dale guitar, just one that was similar, and may have been touched by him at some point. It's strung traditional lefty, and DD strings them traditional righty.

I never did get a response from Songbird about the Eddie Bertand strat, seen in this thread.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019 15:56:39

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Chris! I must have overlooked this. Sorry for the false alarm!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

That's interesting about the paint job on The Beast

I have seen all kinds of stories about it, some say it only dates to 1960 or early 1961? Never heard of a serial number to verify the manufacturing date etc...I know it dates back to at least 1964 with the gold body paint on it.

Somebody said that two pickups were stolen when it was in for repairs in the mid 70's so it has two pickups from around that time in it. Its real light as well compared to other Strat's. The high frets are real worn and it has real low action as well.

I have seen videos where DD was playing the backup Strat. So a lot of his sound is in the beast itself - the backup had a different sound to me and not as good a sound or tone. So there is something magical about it. The whammy bridge is blocked inside the body as well so maybe the tone is effected by just that? But the wood could be real dried out as well. DD doesn't impress me as someone that took care or babied his guitar.

This video below form 1983 shows The Beast in better days, looks in pretty good shape and not as worn - so most of the damage or aging happened since then. So most of the wear happened in the last 35 years.

Dick Dale was playing live at Trader Lea's near me back about that time and you could hear him a mile away like you were at the show. I could swear he played there in the late 1970's like 1978 or 79 - not sure when he started touring again or if he ever stopped (anyone know?)

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

I have seen all kinds of stories about {Dick's Strat} some say it only dates to 1960 or early 1961? Never heard of a serial number to verify the manufacturing date etc...Somebody said that two pickups were stolen when it was in for repairs in the mid 70's...Its real light compared to other Strat's. The high frets are real worn and it has real low action as well...I have seen videos where DD was playing the backup Strat. So a lot of his sound is in the beast itself. - the backup had a different sound to me and not as good a sound or tone. So there is something magical about it. The whammy bridge is blocked inside the body as well so maybe the tone is effected by just that? But the wood could be real dried out as well.

Since there is always interest in guitar heroes guitars and amps, in this case KOSG Dick Dale, let me offer what I know as fact. My point of reference goes back to late 1959.

I've handled Dick's Strat at least a hundred times, took it apart many times as has Stormin' Norman in the 90's, maybe a tad earlier, probably Steve Soest also in the early 80's?

With respect to the serial number on the plate, Dick said someone stole it, so, as a point of reference, the SN on it now won't help to place an age on the Strat. The plate now reflects a manufacturing date from 1960.

I know Dick had the Strat late 1959, or maybe 1960 when we crossed paths. I do recall it was sunburst in color then to the best of my recollection he painted it black. I am not 100% sure of that color then, but I know it was painted black at one time for a very short period of time, not more than a month or so.

I recall in the very early 70's up in Riverside, maybe mid 1969 Dick mentioned someone changed his original pickups. How did he know? Back then, maybe a tad earlier nobody gave a damn about deciphering how a guitar was built, pickup winding, how many times it was wound, how much the guitar weighed, string gauges, pickups. Now, it's all scientific.

I've compared the sound of his first Strat to the Sig and they sound basically the same. I've also played a few Dale Sig's at Fender's warehouse in Corona and they didn't sound much better than a Squier.

If I can remember, I am gonna' take my scale out to the Ranch on my next trip and weight his Strat. I know his is a tad lighter than mine, but mine has more wood because it is a 60 hardtail.

Tone has a lot to do with equipment, but also the person playing the instrument.

Enough rambling.

Thanks for The Beast up date SurfBeat …..

That's really cool to here the history of the guitar from someone in the know like you...I knew you have been friends with the king a long time.

I never could find out any touring info from the 1970's - I know somebody said they saw DD in 1969 at the Whisky a Go Go and he did some revival concert in 1970? and put out the reworked songs recorded in 1975 etc...did he tour in the 1970's???? I could have sworn I heard him once play at Trader Lee's back lot stage in the late 1970's (Now its inside a building but back then was outdoors). Last time he was there was 2012 I think, he played there a lot over the years.

Hope the King is doing well

When Dick returned to CA from a couple year haunt to the Islands around 68-69, he bought some property in Riverside and opened a night club with his fresh off the boat bride there. They kept that going until around 75 when he packed up his bags and headed down the road to O/C. Life was good, he bought the Gillette mansion in Newport, began headlining at another club in GG called the Playgirl which he later bought and named it Voo II. Dick, along with Greg Topper down in Newport were known as the kings of O/C music. I never heard of Trader Lee's, but I was fresh off the boat from military duty in Asia in 69 and too busy going to college and raising a family to do much shaking n stomping.

The King spent the day at the doc's office, tired, but is planning on tearing up the Coach House in May. Get your tickets early because it will probably be sold out.

I know this is an old thread but I'm having a hard time finding the name or source of the "Pearl" paint Dennis Swiden used to paint Dicks guitar, any help? Thanks

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6