Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Dick Dale's The Beast in the transitional Burgundy Mist/Candy Apple Purple in '63!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

John wrote:

I'm pretty sure the book is still available. You'll need to contact the author, Stephen McParland...his address is at the top of this page and the book in question ("Surf Beat: The Dick Dale Story") is described toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.garyusher.com/cmusic.html

I thought I went through all of his (Dick's) books in his library and never saw this one. Heck, there are a ton of books on the shelves; a lot of kool rockabilly books and I usually focus on them since I am more of a R&B guy than surf. I guess that is the reason I was in the minority of fans of Bonamassa [sic] whom Ivan referred to in another Thread.

Don't throw me out of here guys: I still lay out surf tunes when my Showmen perform. Still have my Strat, Showmen and Reverb and haven't traded it for a Marshall or Gretch.

John Boy, I have all your surf related books, starting when I saw the paper-back one you autographed for Dick that had a photo of a woody on the cover-yellow, blue and red, right? (thoroughly done) Was that at the mansion that you gave it to him? Wow: If it was, time sure does fly by fast which confirms I am an old fart. Hopefully I saw it at Sky Ranch so I ain't' that old. lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 19:37:42

Thanks both John & Chris for book sources. (naturally the Hot Rod book is already on the nightstand next in line)
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Sonichris wrote:

I still don't see a guitar cord. Maybe a very very thin one early on.

Yes, I think it's just too grainy to see it, but it's there.

But, watching his hands and the sounds makes it looks like he's playing. And I think I can see him switch the guitar pickup selector mid song.

Yep, absolutely, you can hear the tone change when he does that.

I wasn't right about too much today, but:
I'm still holding out hope about that sparkleburst Strat being Eddie B's! Big Grin

I'm right there with you, Chris! Thumbs Up

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Sonichris wrote:

IvanP wrote:

Chris, if you look at MacParland's book, there is a photo of Dick standing next to a huge sign of the August 24th show - the same one where the original color pic was taken! The photo credits John Blair! All the stuff John has in his archives!

I have the e book. It doesn't have that picture in it. Crying

Here you go - compare the posters in the two photos:

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 20:48:46

You guys have been busy while I've been gone! Smile Thank you again for asking Dick for the answers to all those questions, Joe! That has been VERY helpful! I really appreciate it! At least we got this thing 100% resolved. Smile Also really cool to see that Dick remembers The Beast with the purple paintjob - and that apparently it only had that finish during the East Coast tour. MacParland's book says that Muscle Beach Party was filmed towards the end of '63 (those actors must have been pretty cold on that beach!), so The Beast is Chartreuse Sparkle in time for Ed Sullivan and the shooting of Muscle Beach Party shortly afterwards. You can see it in all its glory, with a brand new shiny paintjob in the opening sequence of the movie.

Now, to solve the mystery of Larry Robbins'/Eddie Bertand's silverburst flake Strat.... Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 20:37:37

I ended up sending an email to Steve's contact address; the other PDF source page from Chris just kept freezing up when I went to pay. Was kinda lookin' forward to just kicking back with the tablet in the LazyBoy for awhile.

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

I ended up sending an email to Steve's contact address; the other PDF source page from Chris just kept freezing up when I went to pay. Was kinda lookin' forward to just kicking back with the tablet in the LazyBoy for awhile.

Badge: I wish I could take credit for the address to get the book, but that youngster from the Rockies-Chris, Aquasonics, gets all the credit.

Log onto the page set forth below, pay about eight bucks and you will have the book in PDF format.

I sent the info to a friend and he just wrote me he received it-hassle free, so the source is not bogus. Hats off to Chris.

https://payhip.com/b/Ej5Y

IvanP wrote:

:

Ok you two gear-heads, Ivan & Chris, check out the four speaker cabinets, specifically the 3 ox-bloods and Dick's wheat. Are those Bandmasters or Bassmans, or Showmans?

This should keep you two busy for a while. lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 22:46:45

Ha! Joe, as far as I know there is no way to distinguish Bassman cabs from Bandmaster cabs from far off. You can do it close up, but not from that distance. So, I've got no idea!

But something did occur to me in response to your comments about Polish players - you probably know this already, but Dick's mother was Polish! So, yes, Polish blood runs DEEP in surf music.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 22:56:14

I got along well with Fern, Dick's mom because I was a Polack.

Now back to the quiz: Which ones are Showmans?

I know when Chris pops in he will have the answer, so ya better hurry. Put down the term papers-pass out B's and that will keep everyone content. Get you tenure.

Nice! You actually knew Dick's mom! So cool!

I think the only Showman cab is the one with wheat grille cloth - 100% certain it's Dick's.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, you have a good eye. You know your amps.

Dick used to serenade him Mom on the piano at their Fountain Valley house. When she lost her leg she still retained her sense of humor, like Dick's.

Dick's dad gave me a ton of photos and promo material overthe years, but unfortunately, a lot was misplaced in 1992 when my ex kicked me out of the house I bought with my money. I just love the laws in CA; they givesuch a benefit to men!! Ha, ha.

SurfBeat, you had mentioned that Dick's strat was purple, white, then gold. Wouldn't the white come before the purple?

Also, does anybody have any photos of the other colors besides the white, purple, or gold?

And while I'm at it, I've always been curious... Has the guitar always had the same neck? I remember hearing he got it in the 50s, but whatever year I had read had me thinking rosewood boards weren't around quite yet.

SurfBeat wrote:

I sent the info to a friend and he just wrote me he received it-hassle free, so the source is not bogus. Hats off to Chris.

Must've been a temporary glitch; tried it again later & it worked, no worries. On with the spectating; thanks Chris.

Wes

duncanjames wrote:

And while I'm at it, I've always been curious... Has the guitar always had the same neck? I remember hearing he got it in the 50s, but whatever year I had read had me thinking rosewood boards weren't around quite yet.

'59 saw the first Rosewood neck.

It would be cool to have a Deke Dickerson type discovery moment, but comparing the two guitars the burst patterns look different around the upper edge and upper horn. There is much more of a black band on Eddie's, and the upper horn is all filled in black.

I still don't know why Joe brought up the name on the drumhead, unless he doesn't know himself. It could be a key as to where that picture was taken, but it's turned out to be a red herring I guess.

comparing the two guitars the burst patterns look different around the upper edge and upper horn. There is much more of a black band on Eddie's, and the upper horn is all filled in black.

If you look at the photo as a whole, there is a fairly strong shadow thrown by the lights, so it's quite possible that part of what appears to be the black band on the upper edge is actually the shadow, making the band appear bigger than it actually is. Also, though I see what you're saying, I think it's quite possible that the old photo just doesn't have enough detail/pixels to fully capture the degradations of the burst on the upper horn. The black bands appear to be pretty close on the lower part of the body (by the strap button and the jack plate) of the two guitars. Just throwing it out there. I am NOT saying that this is DEFINITELY Eddie's guitar - by no means, I'm just saying it's still possible to explain your (valid) observations.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

duncanjames wrote:

SurfBeat, you had mentioned that Dick's strat was purple, white, then gold. Wouldn't the white come before the purple?

DJ - The white came before the purple. I made a mistake when I was simply listing the various colors. Because Dick was changing colors almost bi-weekly during a short period of time when another "copy-cat" was trying to have the same colors as Dick, (not an insult, several of us were copying Dick's style) memories fade as to which color followed which. One fact, however, has not changed and that is: after the original sunburst came several colors, then the white before the purple, then the present day gold.

Boy, you Dick heads do pay attention to detail. lol

Also, does anybody have any photos of the other colors besides the white, purple, or gold?

As stated above, the black and blue would have been painted over within a couple of weeks, if that long, so, when considering the fact that teens did not carry cameras to dances(in those days, dances were the norm, concerts were the exception, plus phones were attached to walls or placed on a table with a long electrical wire connected to the wall, unlike now, where phones are attached to everyone's ears), the chance of anyone having a photo of a black, blue, or sunburst photo are slim. I recall Dick has a photo of his sunburst. I will have to did it out.

Mr. Dobner is correct, Rosewood boards came out in 59, my recollection in the summer. The neck is original, except for.........Wouldn't you like to know. Confused

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016 14:18:16

IvanP wrote:

comparing the two guitars the burst patterns look different around the upper edge and upper horn. There is much more of a black band on Eddie's, and the upper horn is all filled in black.

I am NOT saying that this is DEFINITELY Eddie's guitar - by no means, I'm just saying it's still possible to explain your (valid) observations.

Compare the black outline where it meets the plug receptacle, also the curve on top near the middle. To my eyes, they are significantly disparate.

Who out there has good eyes and a computer program that can make clear the serial number?

Based upon my observation set forth above, the guitars are not the same. I've made many arrests with just a photo of a subject, all good. That said, I'm not arresting the subject, the Strat, so like Ivan, I am not sure if the photos of the two Strats are the same and just rendering a opinion lacking any empirical studies.

What we do to pass the time on a rainy day. Ordinary people would think we are nuts.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016 14:38:36

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next