Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Dick Dale's The Beast in the transitional Burgundy Mist/Candy Apple Purple in '63!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Joe, thanks for all the info!

Dick's six-week east coast tour, according to Dick's biography by Stephen MacParland, lasted from mid July until late August. His Ed Sullivan appearance was on October 6th.

Joe, how could have Swiden painted Dick's Strat purple for the tour but repainted it gold right before the Sullivan show, WHILE they were on tour? I doubt Dick took Swiden to the east coast with him. Smile

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 16:59:32

I re-read some of the MacParland book today. It mentioned Dick had a 2 week date at the Rainbow Club in Wildwood NJ, starting on Aug 2, 1963. I looked for pictures of the Rainbow Club, and did not see any interior shots to try to match the pictures. It also mentioned a show in Baltimore, MD before a screening of Beach Party. I think the Baltimore show was the August 24th show in the picture.

Have we beaten this topic to death yet? Big Grin

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Sonichris wrote:

Have we beaten this topic to death yet? Big Grin

Nope, not yet! But we're getting pretty close! Big Grin

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Chris, if you look at MacParland's book, there is a photo of Dick standing next to a huge sign of the August 24th show - the same one where the original color pic was taken! The photo credits John Blair! All the stuff John has in his archives!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Oh good. I love this stuff. Surf music history, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential.

IvanP wrote:

Joe, thanks for all the info!

Dick's six-week east coast tour, according to Dick's biography by Stephen MacParland, lasted from mid July until late August. His Ed Sullivan appearance was on October 6th. How could have Swiden painted his Strat purple for the tour but repainted it gold right before the Sullivan show, WHILE they were on tour? I doubt Dick took Swiden to the east coast with him. Smile

Ivan, if you look at the dates you set forth above will find that Dick's recollection of the subject matter at hand are about right. Let me explain from a former detective now practicing attorney's view point.

According to Dick, he went on his Easter tour about the time he signed with Capitol. My recollection was the signing occurred in May 1963. (See my previous post)

Dick left his home in Costa Mesa around July 63 - (a month or so after signing with Capitol. Right before departing, family friend (Dick's) Swiden painted Dick's pearl white Strat PURPLE.

Dick said the subject photo (FB) was taken in Boston, MA at an auditorium where is was performing.

Ivan, are you still with me?

Dick returns from the Eastern tour in late August.

Two months LATER, Dick gets signed for Ed Sullivan's show and THEN has Swiden paint his guitar gold metal flake.

Short,y thereafter, on October 6, (your date Ivan) Dick appears live on the ES show.

It all makes sense.

This string of events clearly follows Dick's recollection as of today.

Now Ivan, look what you started! You must be getting a snow storm back there, so, since you can't go outside and play, its minutia time?

Is this stuff getting old yet? If not, I have sum' more to keep you and Chris interested. (On that note Chris, you and I gotta hook up at Tom's show and talk, mayne play together next April. The old man and the kid) lol

Here is the color line of the Strat in question: Drum roll - Sunburst, red, black, blue, white, purple, then GOLD.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016 14:00:22

Joe, that all makes sense. I think the disconnect was that we all thought Dick shot the Sullivan appearance while he was touring the east coast (playing live in the studio, but pretaped and aired quite some time later), but you are saying that Dick and the band actually flew back out to NYC to shoot their appearance on Sullivan, which was not connected to the July/August tour. Do I have that right? In that case, yep, Dick's recollections make sense.

(BTW, no snow storm - but a different kind of storm! I'm a college professor, and I've got a stack of final exams I'm grading - a PAINFUL process! So, I'm looking for distractions - anything that gives me a break from the grading! Mr. Green )

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 17:29:55

IvanP wrote:

(BTW, no snow storm - but a different kind of storm! I'm a college professor, and I've got a stack of final exams I'm grading - a PAINFUL process!

Do they get points for assessing man-hours spent delving (no, diving) into the historiography of Strat paint schemes? A much more enriching experience in my view. Train 'em right, Prof!
Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

IvanP wrote:

Joe, that all makes sense. I think the disconnect was that we all thought Dick shot the Sullivan appearance while he was touring the east coast (playing live in the studio, but pretaped and aired quite some time later), but you are saying that Dick and the band actually flew back out to NYC to shoot their appearance on Sullivan, which was not connected to the July/August tour. Do I have that right?

Ivan, that is a big 10-4 - cop jargon for "correct," you got it right.

Now that this issue has been cleaned up, on to the next. That said I am confident the boy from the Rockies is gonna' log in with his two centavos. For a youngster from the Rockies, he is up on surf history.

(BTW, no snow storm - but a different kind of storm! I'm a college professor, and I've got a stack of final exams I'm grading - a PAINFUL process! So, I'm looking for distractions - anything that gives me a break from the grading! Mr. Green )

I am working on a brief myself, so, I know how tedious it is reading and thinking. This has been a good break; talking with Dick and making his mind work, then reading the feedback from my comments.

I will get more info when I head up to his house after Christmas.

I just finished assembling an old Strat hard-tail and I want to compare it to his and my old Strat I still use.

Since I never change strings unless one breaks, I can't get a good sound comparison; the new one sounds way to bright in comparison to my old Strat. I also have to make a new nut because my high E sounds like a sitar-buzzing like heck.

I paid a supposed professional and he did such a bad job I decided to take the time to make a nut myself. It is always something.

SurfBeat wrote:

I am working on a brief myself, so, I know how tedious it is reading and thinking.

LMAO, kinda why I poked Ivan. I've been crunching some math & doing some antenna modelling and this is... like... better.
Cool

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

This is a 1961 photo, the band I believe he had during his year and a half at the Rendezvous Ballroom. Strat sure looks white w/tort guard to me.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Right on Badga.'

On a side note to Ivan Da' Great and Rocky Mt. Chris, what book were you two referring to when making reference to "McFarlands book."

Because like Dick I play Hodad music, as Paul J has referred to it, surf music mixed with R&B, I am not up to the latest information on the surf music scene that is set forth on these pages unless my Showmen must play a 100% surf music set. When that occurs, it is time to focus on SG101.

When I head over to Dick's I am gonna tear through his library looking for it.

IvanP wrote:

Chris, if you look at MacParland's book, there is a photo of Dick standing next to a huge sign of the August 24th show - the same one where the original color pic was taken! The photo credits John Blair! All the stuff John has in his archives!

I have the e book. It doesn't have that picture in it. Crying

Sonichris wrote:

I have the e book. It doesn't have that picture in it.

Just went online (quick search) and the book comes up (even Amazon) as Unavailable. So your Crying is my full-blown ****!
Anyone know a source for even the eBook version?

Wes

I'm pretty sure the book is still available. You'll need to contact the author, Stephen McParland...his address is at the top of this page and the book in question ("Surf Beat: The Dick Dale Story") is described toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.garyusher.com/cmusic.html

BTW, Stephen is my co-author on the new, 2nd edition of "The Illustrated Discography of Hot Rod Music, 1961-1965."

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 18:51:08

I bought it on Stephen MacParlands site. It's a PDF download.

https://payhip.com/b/Ej5Y

John wrote:

This is a 1961 photo, the band I believe he had during his year and a half at the Rendezvous Ballroom. Strat sure looks white w/tort guard to me.

You are right-on Big John. At that time, Dick's Strat was pearly white with the T-shell PG.

On a side note, Dick's cousin Ray, the guy on the bottom left was recently in town from Texas and has less than a year to live.

Badger wrote:

LMAO, kinda why I poked Ivan.

I guess I will load in and give him a poke also to stir the pot on campus. The snow storm was really a "dung" storm after Michigan gave crooked lying Hillary a boot to the wind.

That's it for politics; they all belong in the slammer.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016 19:07:48

NO POLITICS PLEASE. RTFM

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Dick's recollections make sense. I too was under the assumption the Ed Sullivan appearance must have been during his 6 week Eastern tour. Since the dates of the tour and the Ed Sullivan appearance didn't line up, I (wrongfully) looked for a reason. But if Dick remembers he made a separate trip back to NY for the show, then that must be what happened.

I still don't see a guitar cord. Maybe a very very thin one early on. But, watching his hands and the sounds makes it looks like he's playing. And I think I can see him switch the guitar pickup selector mid song. It must just be the grainy footage.

I wasn't right about too much today, but:

I'm still holding out hope about that sparkleburst Strat being Eddie B's! Big Grin

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next