Slingerland61: Such shouting...
87 days ago

Tikitena: awesome....there's a pulse!
86 days ago

Emilien03: SUUUUUURF!
61 days ago

JHL: tab
59 days ago

DannySnyder: I just got fired from my job at the bakery, which is upsetting as I really kneaded the dough
49 days ago

Meindert: Why didn't the skeleton want to go to school? His heart wasn't in it
47 days ago

Emilien03: Messer Chups + Los Grainders
44 days ago

Emilien03: Halloween Party / Oct 31th / Mexico City
44 days ago

TheAmpFibian: I was feeling nauseous on my recent vacation to Spain..I probably should have avoided Barfalonia
44 days ago

toninho: SAAARFFFF!
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 2006-2017

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Vox AC10c1

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Not to beat a dead horse, but some quick ERRATA on this amp (and it's still 2015)... mostly to feed search engine about "Vox AC10C1 speaker changes tube access tube swap" etc.

1. Found a better way into/out of the amp; 10 screws instead of 17. Just get out the outer screws at sides & bottom BUT NOT the top 3 center that are actually into the amp chassis. Then take out the 2 top screws near the control panel that hold the chassis; the whole thing w/backboard comes away from the cabinet. (Take care to finesse your fingers in there first & disconnect the speaker.) Reverse the process for reassembly. Pic of the alternate method...

Also, some research in case anyone cares, there's really insufficient room in case someone thinks about adding a real Celestion Blue or Weber Blue Pup, even without the cover. Clearance thing unless you Rube Goldberg some workaround.

Lastly, as I did with my last EL84-powered amp running the power stage wide open, I went looking for a little more volume before breakup. So dug out one of my lovely NOS Ge 5751 collection and plugged that into first tube location (nice sockets btw). Went from can get really loud to can get REALLY LOUD, and still clear as a bell Vox.

Cheers.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I'd like to return a this post to ask about how loud this amp can get without distorting. My son started playing drums this year so I finally have someone to jam with in the basement. Unfortunately, this development came after I decided to sell my 68 CDR thinking it was too much amp for my basement playing needs. Sigh. Now thinking about getting a tube amp (yet, again)to play along with him, but without breaking the bank. Could this 10 watt Vox keep up with a 12 year old banging out Wipeout on an acoustic set without getting distorted?

Sean

Wow, I'd love to have the burden of having an enthusiastic 12-yo aspiring drummer to test this out with. Good luck! Big Grin

My guess is that indoors you'll be just fine. Let us know how it shakes out.

Edit w/reminder: I run this thing like a traditional amp, as I would probably any Vox. The Master is dimed (or 3 o'clock, about where there's little further perceptible overall output) - imo getting those EL84's working is at least half the magic of a Vox. Then I run the "volume" from the Gain knob; bass/treble 11:00/1:00 respectively. The onboard reverb is very nice & can get pretty splash after 1:30 or so.
Happy jammin'!

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: May 20, 2017 11:47:02

Goto Page: Previous 1 2