Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Vox AC10c1

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Not to beat a dead horse, but some quick ERRATA on this amp (and it's still 2015)... mostly to feed search engine about "Vox AC10C1 speaker changes tube access tube swap" etc.

1. Found a better way into/out of the amp; 10 screws instead of 17. Just get out the outer screws at sides & bottom BUT NOT the top 3 center that are actually into the amp chassis. Then take out the 2 top screws near the control panel that hold the chassis; the whole thing w/backboard comes away from the cabinet. (Take care to finesse your fingers in there first & disconnect the speaker.) Reverse the process for reassembly. Pic of the alternate method...

Also, some research in case anyone cares, there's really insufficient room in case someone thinks about adding a real Celestion Blue or Weber Blue Pup, even without the cover. Clearance thing unless you Rube Goldberg some workaround.

Lastly, as I did with my last EL84-powered amp running the power stage wide open, I went looking for a little more volume before breakup. So dug out one of my lovely NOS Ge 5751 collection and plugged that into first tube location (nice sockets btw). Went from can get really loud to can get REALLY LOUD, and still clear as a bell Vox.

Cheers.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I'd like to return a this post to ask about how loud this amp can get without distorting. My son started playing drums this year so I finally have someone to jam with in the basement. Unfortunately, this development came after I decided to sell my 68 CDR thinking it was too much amp for my basement playing needs. Sigh. Now thinking about getting a tube amp (yet, again)to play along with him, but without breaking the bank. Could this 10 watt Vox keep up with a 12 year old banging out Wipeout on an acoustic set without getting distorted?

Sean

Wow, I'd love to have the burden of having an enthusiastic 12-yo aspiring drummer to test this out with. Good luck! Big Grin

My guess is that indoors you'll be just fine. Let us know how it shakes out.

Edit w/reminder: I run this thing like a traditional amp, as I would probably any Vox. The Master is dimed (or 3 o'clock, about where there's little further perceptible overall output) - imo getting those EL84's working is at least half the magic of a Vox. Then I run the "volume" from the Gain knob; bass/treble 11:00/1:00 respectively. The onboard reverb is very nice & can get pretty splash after 1:30 or so.
Happy jammin'!

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: May 20, 2017 11:47:02

Came here to express my romantic love for my Vox AC10C1. Words cannot describe the tone, the portability, the vibe, the versatility, etc. I honestly would’ve paid double the price for it, I feel like it’s under-priced compared to other amps I’ve played that cost double and sound flat. This has been my main amp for almost a year, and I rarely touch my several other amps. I could live with this amp for the rest of my life. The classic Vox chime and clean sound is my thing, as I think it just sounds more rich, but the AC30 and even the AC15 amps were always too heavy for me to consider buying. Thank goodness Vox reissued (sort of) this great amp, as it is light as a feather, yet you can play a gig with it, and at home it’s not like the Fenders where they go from 0 to 60 in a blink of an eye.

The onboard reverb is good, as I have the tanks/pedals but a lot of the time I just want to plug one cable in and go. Also, the tone controls offer so much range that I can go from smooth and warm to glass cutting jangle in a sweep of the treble knob. The closed back cab makes it so punchy, I didn’t know there was a 10” speaker in there until later when I read the manual, fooled me. So with how versatile this amp is, the weight, and how loud it can get with also being quiet enough to play at night in an apartment, I have been starting to wonder if I even need any other amps realistically. I am inspired by the beautiful clean tone along with the onboard reverb, everytime I plug in. I have not been bored with it at all, and each time I play I get excited to plug in.

Another great amp (though not as much headroom) is the Vox AC4TV, nice and small yet beautiful tones for home playing (actually, I played a country club gig to over 50 people with a full band on that 4 watt amp un-mic’d, I’m not kidding). I haven’t tried the new AC4 amps but I’m sure they’re just as great. And that mini superbeetle, though solid state, sounds like an awesome one as well.

Ok so I guess all I’m trying to say is I love Vox and the fact that I can get those tones without lugging a 70 pound AC30 or 50 pound AC15. Keep them coming, Vox!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021 20:06:44

I've had my AC10 for three years now and I couldn't be happier with an amp. It has become my primary studio amp but it can get plenty loud for smaller venue use. I was surprised at how good the onboard reverb is.

A good friend and former X-Rays/Surge bandmate who is a Vox fan that also has an AC10 recommended a tube change to TungSols of Mullards, the latter of which is what I used. The positive difference in tone and headroom was very noticeable, there are only 4 tubes so the upgrade isn't expensive.

I am generally a Fender amp fan but IMO the AC10C1 is by far the best 'bang for the buck' small amp on the current market.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ, I have also always been a dedicated Fender amp user, and still am, though these Vox amps are giving them a run for the money and are quickly becoming my preferred choice. The AC10 seems to perfectly blend a home amp with a small/medium gigging amp, which most amps either sway to one side or the other of that spectrum. I’ve kept mine stock as I’ve been so happy with it, but I’ll keep those tubes in mind if I ever go down that path.

Last week I was at Guitar Center and finally tried out a guitar I’ve been eying for awhile online, the Gretsch G5655TG. Plugged it into their Vox AC10 and holy, what a huge sound, especially with that onboard reverb. I’m a strat guy but the Gretsch blew me away, and it’s likely because this new version has a smaller body and center block, as well as newer pickups and a fixed bridge(all of which seemed to contribute to why I like it compared to other Gretsches). Super jangly and the Bigsby was smooth. I have a feeling that amp sells a lot of guitars, as anything I plug in sounds like sweet sugar. I might buy the Gretsch but in Cadillac Green with the gold hardware. I was also surprised how versatile the guitar and amp combo was, not just the typical Beatles that everyone thinks of, but gets a good surf tone too, and can’t think of anything it doesn’t do.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2