Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink The Madeira - Recording the new album, March 2015

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Love these recording chronicles and can't wait for the new album! Big Grin

Also, I think Ivan's commentary is (again) evidence of what can happen when someone is really well-prepared before they go into the studio & the "record" button gets hit for real. Lots of threads here about playing live, playing loud (sticking-out-phobia) and recording. Having it pretty cold is a great way to mitigate that.

Sliders & knobs - love it! Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Hey all!

Patrick is recording the acoustic guitar overdubs right now, so I've got a bit of downtime. Todd and Dane are coming at Noon. Patrick started with "Into the Deep", and it sounds really great. We compared his and mine acoustics, and concluded that my Epiphone Masterbilt is a bit of a better fit soundwise. We have another 3-4 songs to overdub acoustics on, and then I do my classical guitar intro for "Here Be Dragons". The last thing to do before we record the last two songs is Patrick's overdubbing of the tremolo guitar part for "Sirena", played through his Music Man amp (great trem on that thing!).

Here are some photos posted on Facebook, taken by Eric and posted on the studio's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/thepopmachinerecordingstudio/posts/900981479966108

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015 10:09:04

Here's my recording signal chain for those that wanted to know:

Two mics both on one speaker of each amp: a Royer 121 ribbon mic and an SM-57, going into a pair of Neve 1073 preamps for the Surfer, and a pair of Neve 1066 preamps for the Bandmaster and the AC-30. (SUPER expensive preamp modules!)

For Patrick's Showman Eric used an AKG C414EB mic into a Neve 1073 and Urel 1176 compressor. (He changed it from the pic on the previous page, which was taken before we started recording.)

Patrick just knocked out the acoustic overdub for "Farthest Shore" - sounds fantastic! Two more songs of acoustic overdubs by him - "Ancient Winds" and "Dawn in Cadiz".

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This is great news!

Surf Coasters have more albums... but after that. Might you guys be the surf band with the most albums after this is released? This will be number 6, correct? I would be hesitant to count MoAM? as they strayed really far. And I'm sure Dick Dale has had more(just looked it up and your output is higher than his was during the first wave).

And surely you are the most prolific band of the past decade.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I thought that was a psychedelic leslie cabinet.

Madeira are Go!

Popcorn Worship

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Laika & the Cosmonauts have six studio albums (seven if you count the Metropolis Tapes - which I personally wouldn't Twisted Evil ), plus one live album and one comp of the first two albums. But yeah, I guess we're getting up there....

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

JakeDobner wrote:

Smile Just baffles to keep the neighbors from calling the cops. (Patrick's Showman is in the hallway of the studio, and the room is not soundproof.)

Thanks, Danny! We really hope we do justice to "Sirena"!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Smile Just baffles to keep the neighbors from calling the cops. (Patrick's Showman is in the hallway of the studio, and the room is not soundproof.)

That's better than my guess. I thought someone was airing out their cushions from the pontoon boat... (in the "whatever works" category)
Cool

Cops being called about a band? Sounds like you're doin' it right then.
Big Grin

Ohboyoboyoboyoboy!

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Very glad to get the input on all stages of this new work in progress. Enjoying all the comments while watching Eagles fly outside my window in Shenandoah Vally Virginia. I particularly like the tech notes and neve pre amps. Sound like some of the best gear ever made is being employed on the upcoming release. I will buy ten. Thanks Madeiras! You consistently write and record great stuff. See you at the next show!

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

We slowed down a bit between 11:30 am and 2:30 pm, and decided to just take stock of some details and fix them. We got all the acoustic guitar overdubs done, got Patrick's trem guitar on "Sirena" done (using my '62 Bandmaster rather than his Music Man amp, as first planned - you can't beat the Harmonic Vibrato, and the amp was already mic-ed up, unlike his), and got my classical guitar intro done. We are now back to tracking, and just got thee take down of the next to the last song, "The Argonaut", co-written with legendary Jim Skiathtis of the Atlantics! A bit more fix-up and it should be in the can. And then on to the final song, the lone cover of the album: "Coral Island" by the Atlantics. (It's an Atlantics kinda afternoon, I guess!) Once we're done with that, the final order of business will be the percussion overdubs by Brad Harner, our pro-percussionist ringer! We're almost there!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

BTW, Patrick's SUPER-fast strumming on "The Argonaut" - HOLY S#!+" He's the King of Rhythm Guitar, the Fastest Right Hand in the Midwest (and he's left-handed!). Worship

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Cool. Thanks for recording report! Always interesting to read your stuff.
Pics are always good!

Eeeeeeeeeexciting!!!!

have fun guys!!!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

You know how I was praising Patrick's playing? Well, it appears that the last take of "The Argonaut" killed my '64 Showman that he was recording through - totally dead, no pilot light, no sound. Just stopped playing halfway through the second take. R.I.P. Showman - 1964-2015. It survived a lot, but the third Madeira recording session was a step too far!

Fortunately, Todd wasn't using his '66 Showman to record (we're using the studio's Ampeg B15), so Patrick hooked up Todd's Showman, and we just knocked out four takes of the Atlantics' "Coral Island" - ironic that the cover song took the highest number of takes! A bit fixing up, and we're DONE! Well, except for the percussion overdubs, which are next.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015 15:59:31

Fuse, hopefully?

JakeDobner wrote:

Fuse, hopefully?

Nope, looked at it, it looks fine. Sad

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Fuse, hopefully?

Nope, looked at it, it looks fine. Sad

Did you change it or just look at it? Mad

Wes

Just looked at it, no time for anything else. I'll take it to my tech next week, he'll fix it (I think!).

Brad is adding some mind-blowing percussion - ohmigod, it's SO cool!! All sorts of goodies, finger cymbals, congos, bongos, tambourine, tiny tambourine, bunch of other stuff I don't know the names of! Wow!!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Just to squelch any potential rumors: there were NO Marshalls used in the recording of this album! No

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015 17:50:53

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next