Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
146 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
108 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
69 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink 45th Anniversary of the birth of heavy metal!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

bigtikidude wrote:

First, it's in the shallow end.
Where we can discuss non surf stuff, if we want.

Second, it was a thread in praise of a landmark album.
Not asking if it was or wasn't.

Third, if it's a style of music you don't know or like.
Why chime in? Talk about pissing on our parade. Ooooof!

Best I'm thrown off the site.

Syndicateofsurf wrote:

Let's just all sacrifice a chicken on stage and be done with it ok? I mean, we are all still friends right?

Interesting (to me) side note: The best band I was ever in was called "The Chickens". We had the world's worst drummer but he did have a walk-in cooler in his garage. We played Elvis and Black Sabbath amongst others.

That is my last post on this topic. It has wore me out- that's what she said!

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

In my life I've said more than a few things I soon wished I hadn't, usually while trying to be especially clever, but sometimes when frustrated or angry. (EDIT: ... or overly excited!) There've been a few times here when I, and a select few others, have wanted to jump ship. We're all passionate about music, and passions can sometimes get the best of anyone.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015 15:20:08

I think it's best that we wrap this up, but I'd like to just say that the reason why this thread took on an adversarial air was entirely due to Malc's condescending attitude embedded in comments aimed in particular at me such as "I just see it as Journalistic licence to re-invent the past and for folk who are younger to take as gospel. I'm done now thanks Big Grin ", "Ivan dropped his handbag", and "Ian Christie born 1970 Switzerland. Another 2D cardboard cut-out who can only take the music at face value, unable to use his senses and unable to sense the mood of the people of the time." I spent a few years in the '90s regularly reading NME and Melody Maker, so I know fully well that the signature attitude of the "scratchy chin NME musos", as Malc described himself, is one of utter condescension towards any viewpoints that don't fit the NME history of rock music - and that sort of attitude will go down like a lead balloon on SG101, or really anywhere else that is not NME. My experience with Malc has for years been a friendly one, but I guess old habits die hard when it comes to the music world outside our little surf bubble.

Finally, Malc wrote: "as a surf fan I do find endless pages about heavy metal distracting. I wasn't my intention to perpetuate the thread at all." Umm, what? You were the main one that started and, yes, perpetuated the arguments against Sabbath being metal, and continued to make those arguments until just a few hours ago. You clearly DID intend to perpetuate this thread, so I don't understand this statement at all. Not perpetuating this thread is easy - just don't reply again. Let's see if you've got it in you! Thumbs Up

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015 11:32:41

crumble wrote:

Bringing SG101 into disrepute. Arguing in an environment where bands and fans coexist. Please accept my humble apologies one and all. American site which I am a guest and grateful for I have no authority what so ever but as a surf fan I do find endless pages about heavy metal distracting. I wasn't my intention to perpetuate the thread at all.

Confused I don't understand this paragraph at all. I'm done with this thread.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

crumble wrote:

Articles and interviews of the actual time are plentiful and more likely hold the truth.

You mean like the Rolling Stone review from 1970 calling this band heavy metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFGGXMFp0w

It wasn't their first time using it in a review (they did earlier that year in regards to Humble Pie), but that Sir Lord Baltimore album is 100% in line with the album this thread is about.

The author of both reviews was born in 1952, since that seems to hold sway in this thread.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

BillyBlastOff wrote:

Ok, so who wants to start a surfed out Tribute To Sabbath Cd? We got dibs on War Pigs! As a matter a fact, already threw it on the "BANNED from the BEACH setlist months ago!

War Pigs is quite possibly my fave Black Sabbath song. L O V E (!!!) Worship Faith No More's version of War Pigs. (Attached for your listening pleasure. You're all welcome. Yes )

Would love to hear how y'all do this 'surfed out'!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015 18:56:12

And in the spirt of some head scratching FTW moments this thread has seen, I give you another fantastic Faith No More cover that is nothing short of amazing.

Off Topic

Sorry

...now back to the Stuff Hits the Fan

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

bigtikidude wrote:

BillyBlastOff wrote:

In my honest opinion, if your gonna cover any Sabbath tunes live, you better have two guitar players. Just sayin'.

Tell that to Tony Iommi.

I'm talkin' about Instrumental Bands, uh, as in Surf bands covering Sabbath. One guitarist to play Ozzy's vocal melody, and the other to cover lead and or ryhthm or else it might sound pretty empty. I'm guessing Tony dubbed the ryhthm guitar in the studio himself, unless he brought in a studio player. Dunno, but, it's there. Made all the difference.

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015 21:57:53

I'm not a fan of metal but Teiscofan mentioned Iron Butterfly, who we all know did In-a-Gadda, but their first album HEAVY was the first time we heard that term applied to music. The fuzz laden instrumental Iron Butterfly Theme is drenched in drippy reverb glissandos no less, and they played Mosrites. It holds up well I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDoWtqIGUjY

Martin Popoff here, with the culmination of everything important, namely...

Who Invented Heavy Metal?

Folks, this was a monster undertaking, comprising quotes from 126 different speakers (mostly the metal-makers themselves), many of them interviewed multiple times, blasted at you with much of my own contextualizing over 120,000 words of oral history, strict and detailed timeline, obsessive philosophizing, punctuated by more than 250 graphics. This book arose from years of debating this question with people, as well as talks I’ve given on the topic at university conferences (the below text is derived from the Finland program). I’ve endeavored to include everything related to the story, the result being a massive arrangement of all the salient arguments, in a weighty tome that ends in 1971!

It’s one of the great debates in headbanged musicology and the answer is as complicated as it is hotly contested. Martin Popoff’s Who Invented Heavy Metal? provides the most detailed, well argued, reasonable, ridiculously complete, and most lively and readable telling of the early history of heavy metal yet, arming the argumentative headbanger with all the facts and figures one needs on hand to win those bar room bets around this provocative question.

Ultimately, Who Invented Heavy Metal? aims to be a book that doesn’t limit itself to fans of heavy metal, given the genre’s unarguable cultural value and pervasiveness, as well as the wide umbrella of topics discussed within the volume. Put another way, it is the author’s wish that the book provides wide instructional scope of teachable moments through unfolding, subconscious, telling by osmosis of the very history of heavy metal’s origins through events inside the genre but, surprisingly, many events outside of its own kerranging reverberations.

Price including shipping:
US orders: $34.00 US funds
Int’l orders (all books go air): $43.00 US funds
Canadian orders: $36.00 Cdn. funds
PayPal happily accepted. Ask me if you’d like a PayPal invoice (please indicate what country you are in), or just do yer usual and direct funds to martinp@inforamp.net
Or mail payment (personal check in US funds, cash, or INTERNATIONAL money order), to:

Martin Popoff, P.O. Box 65208, 358 Danforth Ave.,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4K 2Z2

Email me at martinp@inforamp.net with any further questions, and see www.martinpopoff.com for descriptions, cover art and ordering info for my other available 35 or so books (and no, this won’t be up at the site for another week or so, BUT YES, THEY ARE IN MY OFFICE READY TO SHIP).

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thanks Ivan! Headbang

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Uggggggh, why did it have to be Popoff? His research is great but his writing is usually insufferable. It's been several years of trying and I still can't get through his Sabbath book.

If really sucks he's the one writing books about UFO, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Scorpions, etc.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Must get this book.
As important as any surf books!
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm a big Sabbath fan(the Ozzy years to be specific). Truly groundbreaking stuff and highly influential in the hard rock and metal world, even more-so today where there seems to be hundreds of what I call “Sabbath Core” bands that more or less sound like an extension of Sabbath. But "invent" is a strong word. You can't give all the credit to that one album in the same way you can't give all the credit to Surfer's Choice by Dick Dale. Like Sabbath, Dale, The Sex Pistols and other pioneers of any musical genre there are more architects to a musical movement than meet the eye.

If you listen to many European, British and several American acts from before Sabbath you'll hear what they were going for. But they made it their own. Great early "heavy" bands like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin were making big noise before Sabbath, not to mention many smaller bands.

I think with any musical form it's fun to study the development of the sound and be careful not to give all the credit to one band, even if that band is as great and influential as Black Sabbath.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: May 02, 2015 10:30:50

http://teamrock.com/feature/2014-05-23/black-sabbath-the-birth-of-metal

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I bought the first lp when it first hit the stands and then got Paranoid that Sept. They played their first ever US date here in Baton Rouge right after Paranoid came out. I was deaf for 3 days, it was great!

Birmingham in the UK are discussing a Heavy Metal Museum.

And so they should.

Clarry wrote:

Birmingham in the UK are discussing a Heavy Metal Museum.

And so they should.

They should make awards like the Oscars-
Maybe a gold statuette of a headless chicken?

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Sabbath

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next