Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink 45th Anniversary of the birth of heavy metal!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

On Friday, February 13th (Friday the 13th just like today!), 1970, the debut album of Black Sabbath was released - and the world would never be the same!!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017 09:09:52

One of my earliest album purchases. I still have it, and a British pressing on Vertigo as well ( it has a gatefold cover and Evil Woman in place of Wicked World) I still listen to it often!

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015 13:59:50

I believe Paranoid was released in the US before their self-titled first album. Paranoid was the very first music cassette I ever bought. I think I still have it, but after over a half-dozen moves, I have no idea where it is.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

psychonaut wrote:

One of my earliest album purchases. I still have it, and a British pressing on Vertigo as well ( it has a gatefold cover and Evil Woman in place of Wicked World) I still listen to it often!

Tony, of course, using a Strat on Wicked World - sounds pretty good to my ears! Too bad he didn't stick with it. Twisted Evil

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Noel wrote:

I believe Paranoid was released in the US before their self-titled first album.

Checking Wikipedia now, that doesn't seem to be the case, Noel. The debut was released in the US on June 1st 1970, while Paranoid came out worldwide in September. But yes, the release of the debut in the US was delayed by a few months compared to the UK release.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Noel wrote:

I believe Paranoid was released in the US before their self-titled first album.

Checking Wikipedia now, that doesn't seem to be the case, Noel. The debut was released in the US on June 1st 1970, while Paranoid came out worldwide in September. But yes, the release of the debut in the US was delayed by a few months compared to the UK release.

Well, I lived in Pittsburgh, so we got everything late, anyway.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

So, you bought Paranoid when it first came out?? That's very cool! You were definitely on the cutting edge!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I fixed the photobomber

Not quite the same, eh? Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Yes, yes! Huzzah! Hear, hear! Thanks for posting this, Ivan! Sabbath, probably more than any other band, has had the deepest and longest lasting influence on my musical pursuits. They're also one of the only bands that I've never ever ever ever tired of--from age 14 till present day. Headbang

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Lucky me, backstage at the Brawlroom in Chicago back in 1992 (Dehumanizer tour)

IvanP wrote:

psychonaut wrote:

Tony, of course, using a Strat on Wicked World - sounds pretty good to my ears! Too bad he didn't stick with it. Twisted Evil

Apparently the pick up on his strat broke, and that was in the days before you could get replacement parts, so he grabbed the SG which was his back-up guitar.

https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

Sorry Ivan but I lived through this period and I'm pretty sure the word Heavy Metal had not been coined in 1970!

In any case when it did arrive (1975?) it was a different beast.

I remember my dad cranking sabbath when I was a littl kid.
I got my own best of lp at age 12.
Looking at the lp sleeve while listening to the music would give me goodebumps.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

crumble wrote:

Sorry Ivan but I lived through this period and I'm pretty sure the word Heavy Metal had not been coined in 1970!

Of course, crumble - but that doesn't mean it wasn't the first heavy metal album! Most music historians in retrospect look at the release of that album as the birth of metal - and obviously I agree.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

crumble wrote:

Of course, crumble - but that doesn't mean it wasn't the first heavy metal album! Most music historians in retrospect look at the release of that album as the birth of metal - and obviously I agree.

No more heavy metal than early Ventures surf music. In English record shops it would categorised as progressive rock, sub section Heavy rock along with Led Zeppelin and Jethro Tull.

Headbang Headbang

How about Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly or Blue Cheer....According the interent they were also in the running for the first Heavy metal band along with Led Zeppelin.

Personally I love Iommis guitar playing from the first record onwards. Now I have to go online and look at SG's again...... Headbang

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Malc, you can go ahead and argue that and I'm sure nobody will ever convince you otherwise, but the general consensus is against you. That's fine, you don't have to go along with them. But it makes complete sense to me. Of course the term 'heavy metal' was not yet applied to that music, but once it was (before '75, BTW) Sabbath was pretty universally recognized as being the most direct progenitors of heavy metal (with many less direct progenitors in the mix, too). Here are two good snippets from the Sabs' debut album Wikipedia page on this particular issue - take it or leave it. I'm gonna leave it here.

According to AllMusic's Steve Huey, Black Sabbath marks "the birth of heavy metal as we now know it".[7] In his opinion, the album "transcends its clear roots in blues-rock and psychedelia to become something more".[7] He ascribes its "sonic ugliness" as a reflection of "the bleak industrial nightmare" of the group's hometown, Birmingham, England.[7] Huey notes the first side's allusions to themes characteristic of heavy metal, including evil, paganism, and the occult, "as filtered through horror films and the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, H.P. Lovecraft, and Dennis Wheatley."[7] He characterises side two as "given over to loose blues-rock jamming learned through" the English rock band Cream.[7]

In the opinion of the author and former Metal Maniacs magazine editor Jeff Wagner, Black Sabbath is the "generally accepted starting point" when heavy metal "became distinct from rock and roll".[8] In his opinion, the album transfigured blues rock into "something uglier, found deeper gravity via mournful singing and a sinister rhythmic pulse".[8] According to Rolling Stone magazine, "the album that arguably invented heavy metal was built on thunderous blues-rock".[9] Sputnikmusic's Mike Stagno notes that Black Sabbath's combined elements of rock, jazz and blues, with heavy distortion created one of the most influential albums in the history of heavy metal.[10] In retrospect, Black Sabbath has been lauded as perhaps the first true heavy metal album.[11]

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I'm glad there are so many fans here, although I disagree about the birth of metal (which wasn't a term per se yet). I'm more of a mind toward January 1969 when, given what had been going on, Led Zeppelin kinda changed things up.

Never a modern metal fan but I hear its influences in quite a bit of surf music. Intermingling tree roots. Neat.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next