Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink 45th Anniversary of the birth of heavy metal!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

crumble wrote:

Sorry Ivan but I lived through this period and I'm pretty sure the word Heavy Metal had not been coined in 1970!

In any case when it did arrive (1975?) it was a different beast.

Of course not in 1970. It was coined much earlier in reference to the periodic table. As for Heavy Metal music, Barry Gifford is cited as using the term in Rolling Stone in 1968. In my own experience, we were using it to describe anything heavy in the early '70's such as Johnny Winter, Zeppelin, and of course Black Sabbath. As a result, what was called heavy metal in the '80's was what I would call "Hair Metal" - that stuff didn't float my boat. That 1st Sabbath album is immortal - I listen to it several times over a year. Hard t'believe it's 45 years old today. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

The first I heard of Heavy Metal was 1977 during the punk explosion. I can't remember the name of the band but they suddenly appeared on BBC TV Top of the Pops chart show and I remember DJ John Peel who had the misfortune of introducing them making a sarcastic comment. Most of us scratchy chin NME musos didn't like Black Sabbath much and generally took the piss out of anyone who listened to it (for fun) But this this new Heavy Metal we absolutely loathed. Like I said it's a different beast altogether.

Malc, not that it matters very much, but did you read what I posted in my last response to you?

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Yes I did and will return to re-read but I just see it as Journalistic licence to re-invent the past and for folk who are younger to take as gospel. I'm done now thanks Big Grin

Wow, 45 years. What an amazing album!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Here is my take, from what I have watched and read over the years.

Black Sabbath say that they aren't a heavy metal band, but Hard Rock with
Blues, and very obvious Jazz elements.
(Though they are heavy as fuck)
That being said, they laid the blue print for what would become metal.
And almost every great metal band would say that they are highly influenced by Black Sabbath.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

During the late 60's Zeppelin was considered a "Heavy" band. So was Jethro Tull, so was the Jeff Beck Group, Steppenwulf, Blue Cheer even the early Kinks and Yardbirds. Cream was another. Metal hadn't been coined yet but the musical roots preceded Sabbath. Sabbath was actually a blues band called Earth before they went big. Blues heavily influenced heavy music.
What I'm trying to say is during the late 60's I was finishing up high school and gigging in a HEAVY band. We were playing 2 to 3 times a month for 3 years. We were hired to play because we were a heavy band.
It paid for college for 2 of us. I grew up back then and didn't get a history lesson from some writer. I lived it.
I agree with Crumble except I call it revisionist history. I was there!
Black Sabbath was a great album, one of my favorites--it is still on my shelf and gets regular listenings. But the first heavy metal album??
I don't see it.

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

bigtikidude wrote:

Here is my take, from what I have watched and read over the years.

Black Sabbath say that they aren't a heavy metal band, but Hard Rock with
Blues, and very obvious Jazz elements.
(Though they are heavy as fuck)
That being said, they laid the blue print for what would become metal.
And almost every great metal band would say that they are highly influenced by Black Sabbath.

Yes Well-said, Jeff.

So, how about those Mermen? The nerve of some people, claiming they play surf music!! Duh

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

You guys like Black Sabbath? I mean, come on, they were probably the worst surf band ever!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

You guys like Black Sabbath? I mean, come on, they were probably the worst surf band ever!

Simon, that's not fair. They didn't have a Surfy Bear of a Flint back then!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Shakespeare, W., Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015 06:41:50

Shakespeare, eh? And I always thought that was from some lyrics by Geezer Butler. Wink

Jokes aside, I really like Sabbath, and even if you don't put them in the Metal corner, it's very hard to argue that the whole horro/occult aethetic they started with their first album was the whole starting point for the genre.

BTW, I guess one of the reasons, why Black Sabbath appeal to me, is that there are moments when they sound a lot like Cream.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

A lot can be said for Alice Cooper starting the horror thing too.

'Cept Sabbath was much much better. Johnny Winter as heavy metal?? First album was blues.......hmmmmmm Agree

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015 08:36:06

zzero wrote:

This "horror thing" was quite popular during the sixties especially in the UK. Starting with Screaming Lord Sutch to hit singles like "Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown or "Race with the Devil" by The Gun from 1968.

Lol at the new thread title.

Of course there were heavy bands before Sabbath. But Sabbath was clearly the first heavy metal band with the first heavy metal album. They brought crushing detuned doom combined with apocalyptic lyrics that defined the genre and spawned hundreds if not thousands of metal bands.

Do metal heads argue about the first surf album on metal forums? Hmmm

ROTFLMAO- Now thats really funny Brian!!! I cant say that any metal heads Ive known have ever really listened to surf music much less discussed it.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

zzero wrote:

'Cept Sabbath was much much better. Johnny Winter as heavy metal?? First album was blues.......hmmmmmm Agree

Yes, Johnny Winter's first album (circa mid '60's) was blues as were many of his later albums. In the early '70's, however, he made rock albums such as "Still Alive and Well" and "Johnny Winter And". They were heavy and sat comfortably in our collections along side our ZZTop, Zeppelin, and Sabbath LPs. We really did refer to them as Heavy Metal in those early to mid '70's. The Ol' Hit Parader and Cream magazines as well made the reference. The term was highjacked in the '80's to refer to bands that I wouldn't put in the same class.-Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Brian wrote:

Do metal heads argue about the first surf album on metal forums? Hmmm

No, they're much more constructive. A typical conversation on a heavy metal list goes like this: "Pantara rules", replied to with, "Pantara sucks!" which invites the response, "You suck!" and it goes on like that.

"Hello Girls!"

Johnny Winters early and later blues albums are absolutely amazing! ( I had the priveledge of seeing him perform live 3 times... ) The 70s rock albums he did are also nestled in the rack with Zeppelin, Sabbath etc.... Johnny Winter And is a true classic only surpassed by Johnny Winter Live and...
Wow, I rambled...In short I concur with Nokie.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next