Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Monthly Atlanta surf show: Southern Surf Stomp!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 717 18 Next

Thank you so much for all of the great and kind words, Ivan! It really really was a weekend for the books!! It even started for me on Thursday with Daikaiju & Southern Culture On The Skids! It was nonstop fun. I was sorry to miss most of the Stomp show due my having tickets to see Slayer that night (ok... only about half sorry... maybe), but we all raced directly over to Kavarna when Slayer finished, and I was thrilled to be able to catch what I think was the bulk of Ivan's set. It really was great to witness! I felt kinda like a proud papa watching my friends and bandmates meld so well playing these wonderful songs. The Southern Surf Syndicate really knows how to throw a party and show their friends a good (and welcoming) time. Once again I just can't express how happy I am to be a part of it all!

Fantastic weekend. It was great to meet everyone!

Lester

IvanP wrote:

I forgot to thank Richard of the Mystery Men? for lending me his AWESOME Gomez El Sonido amp and Gomez G-Spring reverb unit - I loved playing through them! Thank you very much!

You are most welcome!

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Man, I REEEEAAALLLY wanted to go to the most recent stomp, but I ended up getting booked playing a dive in Woodstock that night, and I gotta make that $$ so that was that. But man, I'm stoked as hell that it was such a good event. I seriously think the world of all you guys!

http://www.reverbnation.com/thefugitives7

One more video from Saturday's show, this one posted yesterday by Chad.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Rock Cheers No lack of tone there.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

This was a spectacular weekend! All of the bands the night of the S.S.S. did a phenomenal job, and Chad/Jay/drummer from the Bicycle band/Sticks/Jet just knocked it out of the park! I was really interested in seeing this show because it is such a musical experiment in a way. You take some phenomenal musicians and let them practice one song out of the set one time before playing together for the first time ever???? Amazing! It could have gone so wrong, and yet it was so right. Congratulations guys!

Also Ampfibians really blew me away. Very cool, laid back, very good song writing. I'm now a big fan. The last song of the entire night was an awesome Penetrators song that Jet played Acoustic guitar on along with everyone else, and it reminded me of the end of a movie where everyone is partying and having a good time! Great show! Thanks again for an awesome weekend!

Jeremy

Jeremy

Thanks for the kind words Ivan, Jeremy, Jeff, and all. Folks, this truly was a fantastic event. The AmpFibians are proud to have been accepted into such a cool scene.

Thoroughly enjoyed The Mystery Men, Moonbase, and the Bicycle Eaters. Ivan's set with Chad and crew was as cosmic as it gets. For me, that by itself was worth the drive from Cincinnati. The whole weekend felt like a family reunion. Squid like!

Squid

IvanP wrote:

One more video from Saturday's show, this one posted yesterday by Chad.

Ha! My alarm went off Sunday morning at 5AM in order to load the family truckster and head to the beach house for a week with the kids, which turned out to be about 8 hours plowing through a monsoon. In survival mode and with about 2 hours to go, I had my Bose noise-canceling headset on listening to the Space Cossacks and new The Madeira album. I know, breaking the law, but essential equipment with kids absolutely raging behind you and Barney on the DVD.

My wife was tapping me rather vigorously on the right shoulder. "What are you listening to?", she asks.

"Apes or Wrath!", I yell with head bobbing.

"Didn't know you liked Steinbeck."

I could just chuckle.

It's not often, well never, that you get to meet your guitar heroes. But after the amazing final set at Southern Surf Stomp, Ivan very enthusiastically chatted about the Atlanta surf scene and shared some secrets of the Strat. He is, in a most hackneyed expression, a very good ambassador for the genre, and we are lucky to have him as an artist and spreader of good surf karma.

And I can't imagine the amount of rehearsal time that Chad and the boys put in to get that tight on first try, but just looking at that video one gets all of the proof needed.

Thanks again all.

Jamie, these videos keep getting better and better!

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Dec 08, 2014 10:15:55

Fantastic, Chad and Jamie! really well done! Love it! A great memento of a wonderful night.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks guys! They are fun videos to make!

Great video and a welcome reminder of what an awesome night of music that was.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Boy was tonight's show GOOD.

First Caroline and the Ramblers then Chad and his Silent Knights who blew the doors off Karvarna.

The Beach Boys Christmas covers were absolutely amazing and the Ventures Christmas album was outrageous. So well played and the conviction was simply amazing.

Well done Sir Chad. Even Mrs Katcher was completely blown away. Great crowd too. You ended the year on a high note and set a high water mark for next year's events!

Thanks for a great year of stupendous surf shows!

Eddie K

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What EK said, and then some...

It was an amazing night. Kavarna was packed, both bands were smokin' hot and the audience was mightily impressed. An enthusiastic standing ovation at the end, no less!

An epic night of great music and camaraderie for the Atlanta area surf, instro rock and rockabilly enthusiasts.

Chad, maximum kudos to you for organizing an event that I will remember forever. Wow, wow and wow!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Thanks so much for the kind words Ed and Woody, it was great to have you both out. We had SO MUCH FUN with this show! I look forward to playing it every year but last night was our best show for such a great crowd at what is quickly becoming my favorite venue.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

I second "the best" venue motion.

You guys were awesome.....JUST AWESOME. Carol was blown away too. Real happy campers, we.

Me too.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014 14:16:50

Greenie meanie. Count me in.

ed

Looking forward to this weekend's Stomp, it's bound to be sleazy! Here's a little look at last month's show and as always, thanks to Jamie for the amazing videos.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Jan 05, 2015 13:16:31

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 717 18 Next