Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Monthly Atlanta surf show: Southern Surf Stomp!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 18 Next

Dagnabbit, I live too far north!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

What a great night!
You could feel the love in that room.

Bicycle Eaters - rich compositions that combined eclectic stylings and skillful arrangements, while always keeping the music in a pop sensibility, charming and fun. The vocalist was very capable of following and enhancing the arrangements. Our only complaint- wish we could have heard her more in the mix.

The AmpFibians - Just plain rocked it in a not so plain way. I loved Dave's sounds and tones as they are distinct. His fuzz sounds were Rad and the band showed us musically that they have been playing together for a while, following each other in real good ensemble. Fun, Funny onstage humor all while playing music with an edge.

Ivan Pongracic - without The Madeira - Chad Shivers put together a very capable back up band which did an outstanding job. Ivan was Ivan - Delivered a blistering set that reaffirms why he's so loved and respected and I had fun watching the audience and how deeply and freely they immerse and give themselves up completely to Ivan's playing. Sticks from the Penetrators joined in for that last few songs in tribute to the great band and things went from fabulous to over the top.

A great night, assembled and promoted by the incredibly talented and devoted Chad Shivers, who also played a tight set with his band Moonbase at an in store at Criminal records.
As if all that weren't enough - The Mystery Men? played a daytime barbecue fest. I got into town too late to see this. This could be a good thing as my head might have popped off with that much great music in one day! LOL

I hope someone will come in here and post the names of the other musicians involved in this great Southern Surf Stomp night as everyone played great.
Having only been involved with the scene for four years now I'm still learning so many names and meeting so many new players and fans alike, I only wish my memory could keep up.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Thanks Jeff for the great back-brief. Don't have to ask if a good time was had. Love to see these things really grow.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I hope to check out a Stomp one day soon. Maybe December...hopefully.

DesignSpy wrote:

I hope to check out a Stomp one day soon. Maybe December...hopefully.

Hopefully indeed... December is going to be a fantastic Christmas show!

I'm also thinking about heading down to Savannah in December to check out the Silent Knights show.

Wow, thanks for the great review, Jeff! So good to meet you in person and chat for a while!

I just returned home from Atlanta, so I'll write more later, but I wanted to post this great video right away. Enjoy!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

The Southern Surf Stomp is a phenominal event that Chad Shivers and company put on every month. I'm amazed with the work he puts in along with the sponsors that work with him to put the show on and bring in the out-of-town surf bands.

The AmpFibians went home ecstatic with the opportunity to come and play for the fine folks down in Georgia. My only complaint is that I can't go every month. Sigh Big Grin

My humble offering for the night is below, enjoy the photos.

November Southern Surf Stomp Pics

Stacy

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014 19:18:46

To paraphrase Martin:
The red is the new red.

WOW!!!! M O R E Headbang

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

great pix, thanks for those.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ivan, that video was poor! I had to watch it 3 times to see if you were smiling. Smile That was a great job. I was reminded of why I value my Penetrators cd's. That looked like a great evening of music. Congrats to all who are involved.

Man we had a blast from the beginning to the end. From the Friday night swank with the gang at Trader Vics to Sunday morning
breakfast at SuperHuman Chad Shivers, it couldn't get much better.
It's hard to cover all the details but the Southern Surf Scene is alive and well.
It's always good to see the bands and the music is the icing on the cake but the brotherhood is first class. This is a very cool scene to be part of.

Hot Lanta it is!

http://www.reverbnation.com/theampfibians
http://www.reverbnation.com/thesouthgateboys

It was truly an incredible weekend and thanks to The AmpFibians and Ivan for playing and Jeremy and Jason from the Monterreys for driving from Charlotte and Jeff from the Crazy Aces for driving from Nashville. I should have some more photos and video up at the blog within the next week or so.

David, I do hope you get to come to one of the Christmas shows. Speaking of which,image

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

That is one CLASSY piece of playbill surf art!
Thumbs Up

Wes

I. Live. Too. Dang. Far. Away! More videos, please!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014 08:04:30

Chad wrote:> David, I do hope you get to come to one of the Christmas shows.

Definitely planning on making at least one of the shows. The Savannah show is probably going to get the nod. A buddy of mine is a massive Beach Boys fan...he mentioned he may be interested in tagging along and checking
out the show.

What a wonderful time in Atlanta this past weekend! It started with a really fun get-together on Friday night at the legendary Trader Vic’s with a bunch of Atlanta surf music fans, organized by Bob Walk AKA Surf King – almost 20 people in attendance! So good to see Bob, Richard (the Mystery Men?), Elliott AKA Sticks (the Penetrators), Dan AKA Jet Powers (the Penetrators personal guard, currently singer/guitarist/songwriter in the Wheel Knockers), Stacy, Dave and Squid of the AmpFibians, Terry (the Mystery Men?), Jeremy Aqualad and his wife Carlton who drove down from Charlotte, NC (!), Jamie (the Mystery Men?), Sue Ellen and Chris, Chad (THEE Chad, of course!), Jay (the Mystery Men?), Bill, Lester, and a bunch of other people, some of whom I met for the first time. The Atlanta surf scene is just the best!! The Penetrators basically started it, but all sorts of wonderful people - like Chad, Bob, Eddie, etc. - are keeping it going, and God bless them! They’ve really got something very special happening there. Mai Tais and great conversation flowed for many hours…

LOTS of music on Saturday, starting with a Noon outdoors performance (at a chilli cook-off, no less!) in downtown Decatur (an Atlanta suburb) by the Mystery Men, who sounded absolutely fantastic! Jay had to work, so Lester filled in on bass for him, and made it look like he’d been doing it all his life! Lots of families around (easily 150+ people), little kids dancing to the Mystery Men’ music (adorable!), people tasting chilly, on a gorgeous autumn Georgia Saturday, and the Mystery Men getting a lot of interest and great response – no surprise there! I bet you they sold a lot of CDs that afternoon to a lot of new fans! I was grateful to get a ride to Decatur by Jeremy and Carlton, giving us a chance to chat more – such wonderful people! The Atlanta surf music contingent was also there in full force to support the Mystery Men, as were the AmpFibians who spent the night at Jamie’s house nearby. Then at 5 pm, Chad's prog-surf band MOONBASE played at Criminal Records, a major (and huge!) Atlanta record store a block away from the legendary Star Bar, in the hip(ster) Little Five Points area of Atlanta. MOONBASE absolutely killed! They played really well, and it’s not easy music to play. They played their debut album, “Creation Myths”, in its entirety, in the album order, which was really cool to hear, having been listening to it a lot lately – and damn, they sounded if anything even slightly better than the record! The shop was full of people, most of them checking out the band, some looking through records while bopping in place to the music (it was the first time I ever saw a girl really getting into and dancing along to a 5/4 time signature! Wild!). What a privilege it was to see both bands that day, a true unexpected treat, and they both convincingly demonstrated why they’re getting such great reviews and are held in so much esteem by surf music fans worldwide. They really are among the best in the world today!

On to the evening Southern Surf Stomp gig at the Kavarna, back in Decatur (across the street from the Mystery Men performance earlier in the day). Very good attendance, probably around 60-70. I came with Larry “Moon Dawg” White (we were both in Atlanta this last weekend for a conference, and were joined at the show by a few other colleagues, too), and it was wonderful to get to hang out with him again. It was also a true pleasure to meet in person and get to talk to Jeff Senn of Crazy Aces, who drove down from Nashville! (There was also a couple that drove down all the way from Kentucky for this show! Incredible!) And of course, once again LOTS of wonderful Atlanta surf music fans around, too, some of whom I've known for many years, and it was just great seeing everybody. Even Greg Nicoll was there! Greg used to write for Creative Loafing in the ‘90s and early ‘00s, and did a LOT to promote the budding Atlanta surf music scene back then. Hadn’t seen him in many years!

The first band was Jeffrey Butzer and the Bicycle Eaters, with Chad on guitar – not surf, but kinda quirky and mellow music, seemingly with a somewhat postwar-French influence, piano-led but also with some unusual instrumentation and featuring a female singer. It was quite pretty and enjoyable, and Chad played some gorgeous guitar on it (a Jazzmaster through a silverface Princeton on about 4 – yum!). Next up were my friends the AmpFibians from Cincinnati, who played the best I'd ever heard them! They truly have their own distinctive and very cool sound, a fresh take on surf music. In the past year they’ve added photographer-extraordinaire Stacy Fenner on bass, and this was my first time seeing him play with them – not only did he do a great job, but I really think he is the perfect bassist for them! The band has many originals and different takes on a few covers, and with lead guitarist Dave’s vintage hollowbody Mosrite guitar into a vintage Traynor combo amp (made in Canada in the ‘70s!) and unique jazz/blues-colored take on surf music, they sounded not only distinctive but just really good! Really love this band!

And then onto to the set I played with Chad, Jay, Sean, Sticks, and Jet, which went extremely well! It was a real honor and pleasure to play this gig, and truly a very special night for me. Big thanks to Chad for suggesting it and putting it all together – the amount of work he puts into promoting these shows, and then on top of that, this time around also preparing for our set, well, it’s quite amazing! Especially given that this was the FOURTH band that he played in THAT DAY! Who does that?? Unbelievable! It's funny, I had basically no nerves beforehand, which is weird, given we were about to play an entire set without ever having practiced even a single song of it together! But I had such complete trust in Chad that I just couldn't get worried. And that trust was 100% justified. Chad had his stuff down, as did Jay of the Mystery Men? on bass and Sean Zearfoss of Chad’s band the Silent Knights (also his long-time musical partner and friend) on drums. I was truly impressed by all of them – many of the songs we played are quite difficult, but they pulled them off with aplomb! I already knew that Chad and Jay are really excellent players, but I quickly found out the same about Sean. It was a pleasure to play with all of them, also because they are SUCH NICE PEOPLE! Never having played together before we were definitely flying by the seat of our pants, which made it much more exciting and fun for us, and hopefully for the audience, too – I think so, since they gave us a wonderful reception! For the last four songs we brought up Sticks Stechkin AKA Elliott of the Penetrators, played Red Sunrise by the Space Cossacks, and then three Penetrators songs, starting with Checkpoint Echo and Redlined, and that was simply fantastic! Playing those incredible Penetrators songs with Sticks on drums was a profound pleasure. Jet Powers, the old friend of the Penetrators who was an Air Force pilot, joined us on acoustic guitar for the final song, Southern Surf Syndicate Theme, which really took things over the top! A perfect way to end a perfect day. Just an amazing time, with tons of great vibes.

Thanks very much again, Chad! I really really appreciate everything you did for this, I am honored and thankful, and so glad we were able to make it happen and pull it off so well! And Chad, I’m going to embarrass you now – but you truly are a huge talent! I'm beyond thrilled to see you using that talent for the cause of surf music. And thanks to all the Atlanta surf music fans for making me feel so welcome, it was wonderful to see you all! Here's hoping we get to do it again at some point soon!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

That shot at Trader Vic's has a very nice 18th Century quality to it; a real keeper.

Wes

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014 12:42:41

Sounds like an awesome 2 days.
Real surf family quality time.
Wish I could have been there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It really was a surf family quality time, Jeff! Well put. If you were a surf music fan, I'd dare say it was THEE place to be this past weekend!

I forgot to thank Richard of the Mystery Men? for lending me his AWESOME Gomez El Sonido amp and Gomez G-Spring reverb unit - I loved playing through them! Thank you very much!

And of course, as always, thanks to Stacy for all the phenomenal photos!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 617 18 Next