Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Fender IV

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

This is interesting because I'm reading "Behind the Scenes on the Pegasus Carousel with the Legendary Rock Group LOVE" by Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer). In it he says that he was told that the Fender IV called themselves that "because the lead guitar player, Randy, hustled a deal with Fender to get free equipment in exchange for free publicity." Later, Kim Fowley told them that "The Fender IV is a dogs**t name".

Mar Gaya is one of my all time faves! Worship

-outsides-

Brian
I've found that old Cowabunga post. If you have an hour or so you can read it here.

There is some good info about playing Mar Gaya live and opening for the Stones but the rest are just some funny and scary stories about moving to California with no money.

awesome read! thanks Brian.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Great read! Thanks for posting!

Where's my timemachine?

I've found that old Cowabunga post. If you have an hour or so you can read it here.

Brian, great read, got any more on Randy Holden. Fender IV is my favorite first wave surf band. Body of work may be limited but the quality is way up there. Randy Holden lives somewhere in the coastline of SoCal from what I hear. It would be so cool for him to show up to one of shows and we can pay him tribute to three of our favorite songs. Everybody Up, Mar Gaya and Malibu Run. We will even crank up our Showmans for him.

http://www.outerwavesurfband.com

Tony,

That Cowabunga post prompted me to try and interview Randy. I solicited questions from the SG101 Yahoo Group, Reverborama, and Cowabunga. Surprisingly, only myself and Ivan P came up with some questions. Anyway, that interview can be found at this link. It's kind of cool, but he didn't put a lot of time in answering our questions (us geeks want to know every last detail!!!), so it was somewhat of a let down.

He seemed to be totally unaware of surf music continuing past the first wave. About the same time as we did this interview, I remember Ivan sent him some music, including a CD-R of some 90's surf. Perhaps Ivan can chime in with what he remembers Randy's reaction was.

There are some other interviews with Randy on the internet, including one that is very long. In it he details his obsession with Fender amps and how he used to chain Dual Showmans together to be as loud as humanly possible.

I think he would be totally thrilled if Outer Wave or some other band did some killer covers for him. The trick would be getting him out to a show. Wouldn't it be a trip if he played Mar Gaya with you guys? Shocked

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
He seemed to be totally unaware of surf music continuing past the first wave. About the same time as we did this interview, I remember Ivan sent him some music, including a CD-R of some 90's surf. Perhaps Ivan can chime in with what he remembers Randy's reaction was.

I exchanged several emails with Randy back in, oh, gosh, 2002? Sometime around then, maybe 2003. He was very polite, and very interested. As Brian said, he had no idea that surf music was still being played in its traditional form. I offered to send him some stuff, and he said he'd love to hear it. I sent him some Space Cossacks stuff, and a CD-R compiling the best of the '90s surf. In fact, I still have a copy of that CD-R. Here's what I put on there:

1. Mar Gaya - The Treblemakers
  2. Everybody Up! - Fifty Foot Combo
  3. Mar Gaya - The Treble Spankers
  4. Everybody Up! - The Phantom Surfers
  5. Dilmohammed - The Treble Spankers
  6. Magic Wand - The Ultras
  7. Death Tube - The Ultras
  8. Creature Feature - Satan's Pilgrims
  9. Scorpio 6 - Satan's Pilgrims
  10. The Swami - The Woodies
  11. Spanish Word - The Woodies
  12. Waiting For The Apocalypse - The Treblemakers
  13. Ebola - The Treblemakers
  14. Countdown At Ground Zero - The Treblemakers
  15. The Dentures In Space - The Treblemakers
  16. Avalanche - The Volcanos
  17. Riverside Run - The Volcanos
  18. War Of the Satellites - The Bomboras
  19. Mystery Planet - The Bomboras
  20. Black Hole - The Surf Coasters
  21. Last Train - The Surf Coasters
  22. Mad Soldier - The Surf Coasters
  23. It's Alive - Fifty Foot Combo
  24. SL 54 Automatic - Fifty Foot Combo
  25. Coffin Closer - Slacktone
  26. Aspiracion - Langhorns
  27. Araban - The Treble Spankers

I tried to put together tracks that I thought share some of the power and mystery and spirit of the Fender IV stuff. And I also wanted him to hear many different bands and get an idea of their different approaches.

I tried to find the email I received from him after he got the CDs, but I can't now. Anyway, basically he said - and I remember this very clearly - that based on the quality of the tracks on this CD, nineties surf music is better than the sixties stuff. He was very impressed, and was quite honored by the covers of his songs. That's basically all I can remember. He didn't say much more than this, anyway.

That was a very cool exchange. Randy was very down-to-earth, no big ego, just one musician talking to another. Maybe eventually I'll be able to find that email from him....

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Cool Ivan. Our interview was in July 2002, so it was probably around then. I remember you forwarded me some of his emails; I may still have them somewhere also. (Damn this was before google mail!!)

I remembered that I sent Randy a second CD-R (not manufactured CDs) of a collection of the Fathoms and Space Cossacks stuff. I forgot about the Fathoms before. There might have been something else on that CD, but I can't remember.

Yeah, the dark times before gmail.... How did we live??? Wink

Thanks for setting my dates straight, Brian.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hey just read the interview. Great stuff. I am pretty sure that you are familiar with this other interview on Randy Holden by Richard Unterberger. In it he takes it when he was transitioning to Pscychedelia and apparently it was the Stones concert that they were part of that kind of made him re-check his commitment to his Jaguar and reverb tank. Man, this guy is great and he still seems to be kind of proud of his surf music even though most remember him with his stint with Blue Cheer.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/randyholden.html

IronMaiden
That 'Mar Gaya' song is cool as shite though, kind of creepy, haunting, and I love the drop D.

a) Cool as shite, definitely.

b) Re drop d, for the Flamenco fans:

I Altered Tunings in the Traditional Style
The guitar is tuned in E ; this gives it its native tonality. With two open strings in E, including the bass, the fingerings are naturally made easier, whether in Major, minor or Phrygian mode. The soleá , often called "madre del cante" is traditionally played in E, which we might, in turn, call the “mother tonality” of the guitar.

1. The first excursion out of the original system appeared with the D tuning: the 6th string is lowered by one tone, and the instrument now has 2 open strings in D (4th and 6th). The first and obvious reason for this tuning is to use the six strings in the D tonality and mechanics, making available positions and fingerings for which the guitar is not well suited in the E tuning. Lowering the sixth string has another effect which is to reinforce the bass seating and extend the register of the instrument. Subjectively the guitar changes its dimensions, is expanded. Beyond this increase in space, the guitar has access to new harmonies, unexpected chords to the flamenco ear.

The D tuning came to flamenco through the instrumental guitar –unconnected with cante accompaniment. It seems that Ramón Montoya was the pioneer, with one of his early guajiras, but the D tuning was really popularized in the danzas moras, mostly those of Sabicas. In this case the choice for the sixth string in D was an attempt to imitate the Arabic lute with its deep ostinato bass. One can say that since Sabicas –with such compositions as "Amanecer arabe" - nobody has done it better. He signed other outstanding compositions in this tuning such as the Guajira melodica (partly inspired by Montoya’s version), his Zapateado and Seguiriya in D. This last, which escaped notice within his repertoire, was already preparing for the future : for the first time the D tuning appears in the phrygian mode.

I suppose the shared practice is just a matter of functionality - no historical connection.

Hey, cool to see this being dug up to be re-published!

I was the one who made that initial post with the long stories back in 2001. I hadnt forgot about it, but havent read it in a long while, so seeing it again was kinda fun.

Fender IV is definitely one of those elite recording surf bands of the 60s, with an immense amount of power and attitude. Mar Gaya is technically quite similar to The Victor, but it`s totally a song of its own with that monotonous, almost hypnotic rhythm combined with that eastern mystery melody played loud with very raw power.

Its one of the few songs that we always play with my band, and we close every single concert with it (mostly because I need to tune down to D, and its a hassle to tune back and forth all of the time).

guitarist, The Mobsmen

Ah, you are the same Wavy! Excellent! Nice work on that posting.

I can still remember how excited I was when I had this long email-reply from Randy Holden first time. I was just so extremely happy that he liked to share all those little details.

Truth is that Fender IV have reached that "classical surf band" status first in the later years, as theyve spent a lot of time among the small and obcure. Im not really sure how and when Fender IV had their major exposure to the common surf public, but the first time I heard Mar Gaya was on Strummin Mental around 97 or so. Around that time they were still considered quite unknown, but several people had heard a song here and there on different comps.
If I remember right the personnel for the band wasn`t even listed in the Cowabunga-box since "no one" really knew.

Its also one of the few important bands thats not included in Bob Dalley`s book Surfin Guitars (Another one "suffering" from the lack of inclusion being New Dimensions).

guitarist, The Mobsmen

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 20:27:40

Bar None, My favorite and Mac's favorite too. FENDER IV rules. I had a couple of emails with Randy Holden earlier this year and he has the opinion that surf music will last forever. Lots of people would be so glad to see Randy show up in one of our gigs and play Everybody Up, Margaya and Malibu Run with us. Those three songs are a big portion of what makes Outerwave an interesting band. Fender IV rocks.

One more item here. Sons Of Adam drummer Michael Stuart was considered by rock music writers as one of the most influential drummers in the 60's. Mostly with his work with Love. Randy and Michael have an ongoing project going.

Do you think Randy has any interest in popping up to play a few songs with Outerwave, or any other band? Damn that would be cool.

Smile Hey cool thread, the interview with him is pretty good. Here's some "Fender IV" pics from his site. Dig the nice gear....
image image
So a couple of weeks ago I was talking to Ben while listening to the Fender IV, and we wher listening to "MarGaya" and he brought up the idea that this song could possibly be Thee first heaviest song ever. What do you guys think about that? Could MarGaya possibly be thee first headbanger ever? This song is pretty damn' crazy, so it is possible, but maybe not...

The Deadbeats

FenderShowman63
and we wher listening to "MarGaya" and he brought up the idea that this song could possibly be Thee first heaviest song ever. What do you guys think about that? Could MarGaya possibly be thee first headbanger ever?

I've had that same thought. Not sure about the first headbanger, but it is definitely the darkest, most intense, pissed-off recording of its time or for several years later....at least that I've heard.

Don

Smile Yup, it definitely is Intense. I just can't think of anything earlier or even a little later that is as heavy as this song. Maybe ther is maybe not. I just haven't heard it. BTW I think it would be cool to hear a band cover "Everybody Up/MarGaya", you could sort of transition into it, maybe it could work(sorry for the randomness of this last comment, ha).

The Deadbeats

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next