Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Fender IV

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Hey I just got the comp 'legends of guitar', and my fav song on it is "Mar Gaya" by The Fender IV and was wondering what are some good albums by these guys?

They don't have any albums, just a handful of singles. Randy Holden was selling basically a CD-R of all the Fender IV stuff, minus one song another band member wrote (a vocal), on his website. There is also a bootleg from Japan.

http://guitargod.net/

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Malibu Run and Everybody Up! are two other classics by The Fender IV. I saw the Madeira play Everybody Up! live twice. Smile

I just listened to the 6 songs on the Jap cd man oh man that is some rippin stuff, it had been awhile since I heard it, but since Outterwave does 3 of them, I wanted to revisit, Little Ollie and Highway Surfer are good to.
Even the Vocal "you better Tell me now" is pretty good, and Im not really a fan of vocal surf.

wish there was more recorded material out there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
wish there was more recorded material out there.

Yes, definitely that was a band that left too few artifacts behind. Wouldn't it be great to go back in time and see them play?

No joke. The Fender IV made some of the best surf music ever.

Ha what a silly band name though. How would you like to be the drummer in that band?, I can see the band name meeting, "All for the name 'Fender 4' say "I", all for 'The Gretsch 1' say "I"...and whats the deal with Randy Holden? Guitar GOD? I thought Clapton was God. If anyone is a guitar God it would be Igwie Malmsteem, or Uli Roth.

That 'Mar Gaya' song is cool as shite though, kind of creepy, haunting, and I love the drop D.

Well no comment on his recent musical endeavors but I'd say Randy Holden deserves some respect. He seems more like a Hendrix disciple now.

He said in an interview that as a young kid somewhere out East, Baltimore I think, he was fascinated by Fender gear. He always went out and bought the latest stuff, even putting things in hock so he could buy the newest Fender amp. He grabbed a couple of friends and moved to California on a whim, and started The Fender IV. The name was chosen because Fender, to him, was synonymous with the latest high tech gear. Someone posted on Cowabunga a long time ago a very long email exchange with Randy. He had many funny stories about literally starving in California. That prompted us to try and interview him. But sadly he didn't take our questions too seriously.

Also, BTW, Malibu Run and Little Ollie are mixed up on that Japanese comp and his CD-R. Malibu Run is the up-tempo song while Little Ollie is the strange slow moody song.

... and the drummer agreed wholeheartedly, 'cause he had a shiny chrome one on his car. the Fender IV is the best band name ever. except maybe for addie and the showmen, but only if you're real name is eddie.

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

"Everybody Up!", wow, now that's a great song! We play it, too. Surprisingly challenging to do well despite how simple it is.

Reminds me of playing "Louie, Louie" or "Rumble" in that, while a lot of fun, you gotta wonder what if anything you are adding to it, artistically.

Now that I think of it I guess there are a lot of tunes like that.

SSIV

If I can find that Cowabunga post I'll re-post it here. It was quite fascinating and funny.

Brian
They don't have any albums, just a handful of singles. Randy Holden was selling basically a CD-R of all the Fender IV stuff, minus one song another band member wrote (a vocal), on his website. There is also a bootleg from Japan.

http://guitargod.net/

thanks for the tip I wasn't even aware of that cdr, but I found it on amazon. or at least I hope it's the one. Very Happy

Randy Holden appearantly offers something else now on his site, anyone know it/heard it?

I think it's mostly an excerpt from the above, with a few additions?

I esp. like this quote from the description/review on his site:

Holden himself painted the cover of this CD. As you can see, he is a very talented man.

WR

Rules to live by #314:

WR, that Surf Guitar God is what I was talking about. I have it. It is basically a CD-R he made himself. It has all but one of the Fender IV tracks and 2 of his modern "Hendrix-y" compositions. The contrast is startling. ;)

Brian
WR, that Surf Guitar God is what I was talking about. I have it. It is basically a CD-R he made himself. It has all but one of the Fender IV tracks and 2 of his modern "Hendrix-y" compositions. The contrast is startling. ;)

the one I bought has this:

The Fender IV - Sons of Adam - Early Works ' 64 - ' 66 (1997)

Sons of Adam

Randy Holden guitar, vocals
Joe Kooken guitar
Mike Port bass
Michael Stuart drums

Take My Hand 2:26 (Kooken, Holden)
Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day 2:20 (Tommy Boyce, Nick Venet)
Saturday's Son 2:16 (Lou Josie)
You're A Better Man Than I 3:01 (Mike Hugg, Brian Hugg)
Without Love 2:46 (Kooken, Holden)
I Told You Once Before 2:11 (Kooken, Holden)
You Make Me Feel Good 2:01 (Clarence White)

Fender IV

Randy Holden guitar, vocals
Joe Kooken guitar
Mike Port bass
Bruce Miller drums

Mar Gaya 2:31 (Holden)
You Better Tell Me Now 2:12 (Kooken, Holden)
Malibu Run 2:46 (Holden)
Everybody Up 1:59 (Holden)
Highway Surfer 2:30 (Holden)
Little Ollie 2:25 (Holden) **

Sons Of Adam - Discography:

Take My Hand - Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day /65 Decca 31887
Saturday's Son - You're A Better Man Than I /66 Decca 31995
Feathered Fish - Baby Show The World /66 Alamo 5473

The Fender IV - Discography:

Mar Gaya - You Better Tell Me Now /64 Imperial 66061
Malibu Run - Everybody Up /65 Imperial 66098

the one you have has this:

1. Mar Gaya
2. Highway Surfer
3. Everybody Up
4. Malibu Run
5. Little Ollie
6. Prayer To Paradise
7. Hawaiian Rain

.... so, the one I got misses the two modern tracks, has the Sons of Adam songs (which I never heard of but supposedly it's surf-Holden, not Hendrix-Holden) ... and has one song atrributed to the FednerIV which is not on the other cd - is that the song you wer ementoning that someone else has the rights to? (it appears so, judging by the credits)

so, you think I should get that other cd too just for the two modern songs? Very Happy or for the cover art Very Happy ... btw, Randy Holden has some pictures of his paintings on his site too, not bad at all.

btw, I got the "early works" one cause it had the SoA songs as well and was the same price with an amazon seller as what RH asks for the new cdr on his site. there's one or two even cheaper on amazon, but they didn't ship to europe. for anyone intersted.

WR

Rules to live by #314:

WR, at the time (a few years ago), that Japanese CD was not widely available (I know I checked Amazon), and it was not clear to me that it was a legit release. So I chose to give my money directly to Holden.

I had heard the Sons of Adam were not surf so I didn't have any interest in it at the time. However I do now. Let me know what you think of those tracks.

Yes, Holden left off the vocal track from Surf Guitar God, presumably because he shared writing credit with another band member.

As far as missing those two modern tracks....it just depends on how you like 10 minute Hendrix-y epics. They aren't bad by any means, just completely different than The Fender IV. I'm glad I have them, but I don't listen to them a lot.

WR
... and the drummer agreed wholeheartedly, 'cause he had a shiny chrome one on his car. the Fender IV is the best band name ever. except maybe for addie and the showmen, but only if you're real name is eddie.
WR

OK I was confused...I was thinking they were a 5 piece. I thought it was one of those LV syndrome type deals (or LG) and the drummer was just considered chopped liver.

Im not sure its the best name ever? 'Slayer' and 'Venom' comes to mind Rock , and 'The Lively Ones' is a pretty sweet name, but hey thats all subjective.

I just bought "The early years" off ebay for 20 bucks.

I've found that old Cowabunga post. If you have an hour or so you can read it here.

There is some good info about playing Mar Gaya live and opening for the Stones but the rest are just some funny and scary stories about moving to California with no money.

Personally, I'm waiting for the geriatric metal band named FYBER.

Brian
I've found that old Cowabunga post. If you have an hour or so you can read it here.

There is some good info about playing Mar Gaya live and opening for the Stones but the rest are just some funny and scary stories about moving to California with no money.

Thats a great read, thanks for digging that up. The car trade story rules!

Is there any live material? Id like to know how they arranged Mara Gaya's ending. I hate fade aways. who invented them anyway, Phil spector?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next