Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The 'Verb debut album review!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of The 'Verb's new, debut album recently. I like to think it's because I'm super-cool, but I'm sure that's not the reason. Anyway, let me just say that from start to finish, this is one of the best surf albums I have heard in a while. There's something about it; they manage to generate a sound that's totally different from any band I've heard. I'm no expert on music, and I certainly haven't heard every surf band out there, but The 'Verb is definitely unique. Adding touches of organ and trumpet to the mix really spices things up. I'm a big fan of organ music in surf songs, and they do it very well. The songs 'Hull Breach Reef' and 'Scarlett Fever' (one of my personal favorites) come to mind. It mixes very well with the guitars and gives the bass line a little something extra. Very nice indeed. The trumpet (seemingly not very common to surf music) adds a lot of emotion and power, I believe, to the select songs that feature it. Tracks like 'El Capitain' and 'The Mercenary Rides Alone' just wouldn't be the same without it.

Another thing that I like about this album, titled "Reverberated For Your Pleasure", is that it's got a good mix of tempo. You'd think that younger guys would just want to play fast, but The 'Verb throw in some slow numbers that are really quite beautiful. 'When It Rains...' is a short but sweet number that demonstrates the band's talent for slow songs. 'Riverside Drive' is another. They mix well with the faster tracks, too. The album flows really well. I really like the way the songs are lined up; sometimes I listen to albums and think about how I would change some of the tracks around. There are no problems here.

All in all, I'd probably put "Reverberated For Your Pleasure" in the category of best album ever. I hope that when it comes out, everyone will buy two or three copies, plus some t-shirts. Also, everyone should just give them money, too. I want to see The 'Verb go on tour!

This is a great start for a great band. I hope we can look forward to multiple 'Verb albums. These guys know good music, and I think there are good things in store for them.

Jon

Sooooo, where do we get the album?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Joel

You have to wait until sometime in June. We are looking to hammer out a definite release date in the near future. As Jon said the album is entitiled "Reverberated For Your Pleasure" which is the tamed down version of "Reverberated For Her Pleasure" and the artwork for that record was a little risque and was going to include a 'Verb condom.

The CDs are going to be in a 6 panel digipack as we hope more people will buy it since it is something a little special. It is rare to see a digipack in surf and rare to see any six panel digipacks period.

The tracklisting is...

1. The Wrath of the Mercenary
  2. Uomini Del Pistola
  3. Bikini Sunrise
  4. Sixty Seconds 'til Sunrise
  5. Atlantic Waltz
  6. Hull Breach Reef
  7. El Capitan
  8. When it Rains...
  9. Remember the Summer
  10. Scarlett Fever
  11. Boogie at the Beach
  12. Surf After Sunset
  13. Riverside Drive
  14. Order 66
  15. All Is Quiet At Sweetwater
  16. The Mercenary Rides Alone/Into the Sunset

On bated wings I wait.
waiting ever still
untill the time is right
for sending in my dollarbills...

Joel

Joelman
On bated wings I wait.
waiting ever still
untill the time is right
for sending in my dollarbills...

Joel

We have ourselves a regular Bill Shakespeare.

Congrats and good luck. The long wait in almost over. Let us know if you have a launch/listening party.

Happy Sunsets!

Jon
Adding touches of ... trumpet ...

Oh, God. Trumpets. Wink

tahitijack
Congrats and good luck. The long wait in almost over. Let us know if you have a launch/listening party.

Woah, you are from the Seattle area. Have we met? I'll definitely let you know when we have our record release party. We are going to have two, one for 21+ and one for all-ages.

I met Eric last summer at your Kirkland 4th of July show at Juanita Beach. I played surf music in SoCal and I've been playing some with friends, just for fun. BTW are you interested in playing the same gig this summer?

Happy Sunsets!

We are very interested in playing the same gig this summer. We had a bad gig this past July... we didn't feel good about it as well.

Album out now.

Buy it.

Where do we get a copy of the new album? Cant wait!

I've been playing it non-stop since I got it. There is a very strong sense of melody in the songs, and not just a bunch of guitar riffs strung together. The songs would lend themselves nicely to lyrics. There is a good variations of moods. Some songs have a modern take on old world Europe feel, others are very American such as the cool version of the Beach Boys "Don't Worry, Baby". By the way, there are 2 extra tracks included making it a total of 18 songs, reverberated for your pleasure.

my 2 cents

surfagent_
Where do we get a copy of the new album? Cant wait!

look at the home page of this website.

tenderfoot
I've been playing it non-stop since I got it. There is a very strong sense of melody in the songs, and not just a bunch of guitar riffs strung together. The songs would lend themselves nicely to lyrics. There is a good variations of moods. Some songs have a modern take on old world Europe feel, others are very American such as the cool version of the Beach Boys "Don't Worry, Baby". By the way, there are 2 extra tracks included making it a total of 18 songs, reverberated for your pleasure.

my 2 cents

The two extra tracks were major goofs. The mastering company sent in the wrong master which had two extra tracks.

JakeDobner

tenderfoot

my 2 cents

The two extra tracks were major goofs. The mastering company sent in the wrong master which had two extra tracks.

That's the type of goof I can live with. Wink

Tuck

Jon
Adding touches of ... trumpet ...

Oh, God. Trumpets. Wink

Yeah, there was this guy, a total nobody who used that instrument on a song called My Sir Lou or something. A lot of good it did to him...

Deltones
Yeah, there was this guy, a total nobody who used that instrument on a song called My Sir Lou or something. A lot of good it did to him...

I heard of that one. And he's much better these days, even at the trumpet (:worship:), but, gah, trumpets. Duh

jake - sent you a PM.

CUTBACK

Goto Page: 1 2 Next