Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Frankie & The Pool Boys - The Adventures Of Cap'n Coconuts CD

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Still rocking this album..truly special.

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned as much as it could (due to the sheer strength of the songs and performances) is the incredible work done recording and mixing this music. I am astounded by the clarity and depth of these recordings. So many instruments involved but everything sounds clear and proportionate.

I know this is due even more to the masterful composition, but this is a nearly perfect sounding record.

This is one of those great instrumental albums that just transcends genres and crosses over into being just brilliant music. Thanks again to all involved for the many hours of enjoyment.

http://blueruins.bandcamp.com

Thanks so much for the kind words Blueruins and everyone else. So glad you're enjoying the record. Fans of this and The TomorrowMen album who especially notice the clarity and quality of the instrumentation should know that a lot of credit belongs with our mixing/mastering engineer Gary Hobish. I highly recommend anyone with a recording project to use Gary. He's a complete pro, is highly imaginative and intuitive, and is a great guy to boot.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Sep 08, 2013 23:45:23

Yeah, I've had nothing but praise for this one since the debut.

Ironically, I play Monkey Pod the most, but the depth and breath of sound and influences is outstanding, the production excellent. A real joy to listen to.

Congrats!

-bIG wAvE Dave

Congrats on the fine reviews. I particularly enjoyed and agreed with the Pipeline review.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Here's the complete review from Pipeline (UK):

FRANKIE & THE POOL BOYS “The Adventures of Cap’n Coconuts”
Review by Mike Vernon

It’s really cool and inspiring to see a musician that you’ve been a fan of for a long time get better and bolder as the years go by. With the second Frankie & The Pool Boys disc, The Adventures of Cap’n Coconuts, Ferenc Dobronyi boldly goes where not many surf guitar musicians have gone before and does it with grand style and no holds barred!

As founder and leader of one of the best surfing bands, Pollo del Mar, Dobronyi has earned a reputation as a fine guitarist and is regarded as one of the most innovative and talented composers of the modern surf era. Originally intended as a just for kicks side project, the first Pool Boys CD from 2008 rates as one of my favorite surf guitar recordings in recent years. With its’ bad-ass surf and almost Beatle-like changes, it blew me away with some of Ferenc’s most interesting compositions to date and featured some outstanding pickin’ and poundin’.

When I got wind of a new Pool Boys disc in the making I naturally expected and hoped for more of the same. NOT! While they are both great albums, the difference here is in Dobronyi’s surprising leap into the retro-future as a writer, player, producer and arranger. From the wonderful Space-Age cover illustration by Fred Lammers to the opening Cap’n Coconuts theme, I knew right away that this rocket was blasting off to Lord knows where, and boy did it ever! Ferenc’s use of unusual instrumentation and colors is a beautiful thing to behold and impressive by any standard or for any genre. In the album notes, Ferenc himself sets the bar rather high for himself by acknowledging some of the 60’s era composers that were influential in the making of Coconuts – Morricone, Booker T., Mauriat, Alpert, Crewe, Wilson, etc., and passes the test with flying colors. While not a concept album per se, the “concept” is more like one of those 60’s-era LPs featuring your favorite film and television themes – performed by the likes of The Ventures. And much like their 60’s grand epic, The Ventures’ In Space, this album is nothing short of an epic, instro masterpiece itself.

All the great writing and such doesn’t go very far if you don’t have the players to back it up and Dobronyi’s compositional style demands the best – and that’s what we get. Danny Synder, guitar slinger in the TomorrowMen, adds his signature high octane guitar licks and Michael Wray plays some awfully tough and elegant piano. Karen Dobronyi pumps the band along with her 60’s-cool organ while guest star guitar heroes such as John Blair and David Arnson contribute their mighty talents on a couple of tracks. I don’t know many drummers that could really do justice to these songs the way that “Gods Drummer” Dusty Watson does. He is simply one of the most musical drummers out there and lays down the law on these songs, and then breaks it. Nice work also by band-member and percussionist, Tony Baid.

With sophisticated and epic tracks like Cap’n Coconuts TV Theme and Cat Fight, Ferenc displays his impressive mettle as a writer and guitarist. The Golden State is simply gorgeous (my favorite of the bunch,) and Tic Toc is as good as it gets by anyone, anywhere. Manx, his ode to the VW dune buggy, is a guitar/piano tornado threatening to wipe you out - Wow! Not to be out done as a writer, Snyder completes the 1-2 punch with the sensational Ripley In Love and the ultra-cool Sundial Suite. The guitar interplay on these tracks is as smooth and tight as a, well, – hey, these guys can really play! And don’t fret, there’s plenty of surf guitar swirling in and out of the speakers. After all, when Wes Montgomery did A Day In The Life, you knew it was Montgomery and that’s what made it cool. Every now and then an album like A Day In The Life or The Ventures In Space comes along and grabs you hard. Cap’n Coconuts is one if those albums. Trust me.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

AMEN to that review!!! I don't think I've ever Agree more in my life! EXCELLENT! Congratulations, Ferenc & co.!!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

A bump for this incredible album. Every time I listen to it I love it more. Ferenc is a man of very few words, and most certainly not one to toot his own horn, but he really deserves even more accolades than he's already getting. I very deeply admire him. He's been involved in this music for twenty years now, and he's managed to make every new release he's done - whether with Pollo del Mar or with the Pool Boys - even better than the previous one - and that's a damn hard thing to do. I admire his boundless creativity, his remarkable musicianship, his ability to record such great sounds in his own basement, his sense of melody and especially his sense of harmony and counterpoint, which are rarely equaled and never surpassed in this genre of ours. In short, Ferenc is really a complete musician, and one that only keeps getting better with age. An amazing thing. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that he's currently playing with the TomorrowMen AND the Aqua Velvets, and in the past has been a member of the Mach IV and I think a few other bands that I'm spacing on now. He's truly generous and always willing to help other surf bands and surf musicians.

If you already have Cap'n Coconuts, give it another spin soon and be amazed anew. If you haven't gotten it yet, why, WHY in the world haven't you???

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013 18:06:23

Embarassed Awe, shucks, Ivan, thanks for the kind words. You could also mention that I'm really good at Sudoku.

But, seriously, people, please buy the Cap'n Coconuts CD. Support the arts.
And, here's an offer-- anyone who buys a Cap'n Coconuts CD now (and Double Crown is having a big sale!) I'll send the original mix of "Cat Fight", recorded with Jazzmasters instead Strats.

And, here it is on iTunes

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Thanks Ivan. I agree - it's an honor to play with Ferenc.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Double-Crown-Records wrote:

Frankie & The Pool Boys - The Adventures Of Cap'n Coconuts CD (Double Crown)

Tracks: Cap'n Coconuts TV Theme - Skinny Dippin' - Ripley In Love - Cat Fight - The Golden State - Manx! - Sundial Suite - Tic Toc - Dead Man Surfin - Paniolo - Organic Matters - Rattler Ranch - Surfacing - Monkey Pod

Frankie & The Pool Boys - The Adventures Of Cap'n Coconuts CD - DCCD51 - $12.75

(Click To Order From Double Crown Records)

Please post reviews, favorite tracks and press mentions in this thread.

Love this album, its soul surf meets exotica. Perfect for the tiki bar but its on rotation in my car. Even let my 20something drummer borrow it for a while help him get his feet wet.

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturne-Brain-Preamp-Zombies/240721872969

Still catching up with the library & learning curve. Have this one as well as the previous one; both great.

Now I need to find a .jpg of that full-width cover art like Pipeline had at the top of their review, that would make a neat decorative piece behind the guitar stands.

Good stuff! Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thanks for listening and buying the CD!
Here's a slightly truncated version of the full cover art:

Badger wrote:

Now I need to find a .jpg of that full-width cover art like Pipeline had at the top of their review, that would make a neat decorative piece behind the guitar stands.

Good stuff! Big Grin

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

THANK YOU! Livin' large now. Big Grin (man, this album is just plain fun)

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Just listened to the CD again after not hearing it for a while. I forgot how good this recording is. Some recordings grab me when I first get them, then fade away over time, some vice versa. This one hooked me both when it came out, and again yesterday. Great release!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Thanks Rev!

revhank wrote:

Just listened to the CD again after not hearing it for a while. I forgot how good this recording is. Some recordings grab me when I first get them, then fade away over time, some vice versa. This one hooked me both when it came out, and again yesterday. Great release!

Rev

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

IvanP wrote:

I got mine yesterday. Very Happy Mr. Green Listened twice so far (too damn busy, or I would have listened several more times!). The variety of sounds and moods is overwhelming, but one thing for sure - this is an INCREDIBLE CD! It'll take a while to digest, though, but I greatly look forward to the process! BTW, a stroke of genius releasing it at the beginning of the summer - this CD truly SOUNDS like summer! It'll be the soundtrack of the summer of 2013.

Finally I got it and I'm totally agreed with Ivan... this is the soundtrack of my autumn 2014 Cool

Massimo Pafumi
Jaguar & The Savanas facebook
Jaguar & The Savanas web

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3