Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Frankie & The Pool Boys - The Adventures Of Cap'n Coconuts CD

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Yikes!!
Kill the dog.
Kinda joking of course

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: May 24, 2013 00:07:34

Just sent out the last of the Double Crown Music Club subscriber discs today! If any of you have a radio show, or write reviews for a newspaper, magazine, website or blog, drop us a line at: records@dblcrown.com - we'd like to get as much coverage as possible with this disc.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

I've been listening to this CD all week. Kudo's to Ference nice job! Quality song writing and production makes it a great CD as with really good CD's my favorite songs change with each listen. Musicianship is top notch as well. Nice job Ference really enjoyable and good timing for the summer.

Wow!!!!
What a earful this cd is.
I've listened to it on the clock radio
Before bed. And then in my truck on a good drive yesterday.
Need to sit down and put it on the Home stereo.
There is definetly alot going on there.
But all to serve the song.
Surely a must buy, for those on the fence.
I'll give a more detailed review later.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff, your review makes me really happy for a couple of reasons... First, my formative musical appreciation was listening to AM radio long after my Mom told me to turn it off and go to sleep. When I was a kid, a station would play many genres of music, and that's what I was gong for with this album. Second, if it sounds good on a small 3" speaker, it'll sound good anywhere.
Thanks for listening!

bigtikidude wrote:

Wow!!!!
What a earful this cd is.
I've listened to it on the clock radio
Before bed. And then in my truck on a good drive yesterday.
Need to sit down and put it on the Home stereo.
There is definetly alot going on there.
But all to serve the song.
Surely a must buy, for those on the fence.
I'll give a more detailed review later.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Confession: Never listened to the first CD, was never really a huge fan of Pollo Del Mar. I'm not really sure what possessed me to buy this one.

I confess because this has been pretty great. It's one of those rare albums where you almost want to skip to the next track purely because you can't wait to hear what's next, as little sense as that makes. Plenty of surf groups can blend different instruments and sounds, but here they all seem to belong rather than scream "look what I'm doing".

The production is absolutely stellar, really nailing down that outdoor fun feeling that I've always thought was a signature part of Los Straitjackets, though still very energetic with hints of the frenzy that the Tomorrowmen can whip up. The obvious word for it is "pool party" vibe, but that seems uncreative given the band name. This is really only after 3 quarters of a full listen on the way to work, but I'm glad I took the risk.

edit: my coworker just said "sounds like widespread panic". I was thinking the same thing but I don't listen to them, so I didn't bother mentioning that.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Jun 07, 2013 10:21:04

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

Confession: Never listened to the first CD, was never really a huge fan of Pollo Del Mar. I'm not really sure what possessed me to buy this one.

Thanks for keeping an open mind. IMO, the new Frankie album shares very little with my past projects. Let us know how the last 1/4 of the album went for you.

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

This album has been playing in Heavy Rotation chez moi. Most of what I feel has already been said, except...

The keyboard parts are fantastic! They really stand out for me. Great arrangements, great groove, great sounds. Bravo!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I just listened to this twice while sitting on the patio enjoying what summer gives me. It's good all the way through. I'm completely surrounded by great music and not enough time to listen to it all. Big Grin

I continue to listen to this CD over and over again, and can't even imagine getting tired of it. It is truly an incredible accomplishment. It struck me that the whole album is absolutely cliché-free. There's such a freshness and fearless creativity to every song on here, damn the torpedoes! I can often compare songs on most albums to something that's come before, often times a direct influence, but not in this case (except for something more obvious like Rattler Ranch, which I'm sure was intended as a tribute to the Insect Surfers). Well, OK, the song Golden State maybe owes a bit to Endless Summer, but only in the beginning, and it goes to its own unique place after that. Anyway, every time I listen to this CD I am amazed by it anew. It's truly a major accomplishment for Ferenc, and as I said before, we're incredibly lucky to have such an immensely talented individual choose to be part of our little scene - and, of course, not just in a passive sense, but a highly active one!

I keep wanting to do a song by song review, but I honestly have no idea what to say. About the only thing I could say is, "wow, what a different and creative song! Such gorgeous playing and sounds, and listen to the musicality pouring out of each and every note! I got the shivers listening to it!" Yep, that applies to pretty much every song on there (well, there's one I'm not completely taken by...). While walking my dog this morning and listening to the album on my iPod, Sundial Suite really hit me in the right way, and, sure enough, triggered the goosebumps followed by laughter from the joy caused by the song.

Anyway, I'm running out of superlatives here, and you all get the gist. Of course, Ferenc is an old friend and a past collaborator on multiple occasions, but I can honestly say that none of that is responsible for these comments. I was actually somewhat concerned about whether I would like this album as much as the previous one, but in my mind it's even better, possibly by a lot - and I deeply love the debut. But this is just a masterpiece, plain and simple. Ferenc, you amaze me.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks for that second (!) review Ivan. I'm glad you're connecting so well with the album. That song Sundial Suite seems to take a few listens before it really takes hold. In fact, both Ferenc and Tony were quite unsure of the song when I first presented it to them, but upon further exposure to it they've both grown to really love it.

Please buy the CD or download it if you haven't already. My songs aside, this is a great piece of work, that will reward you with repeated listenings.

BTW: Frankie and the Poolboys have some live gigs coming up.

July 13 - Purple Orchid in El Segundo CA.
July 14 - Huntington beach surf museum
July 17 - Pioneer Saloon, Woodside, CA w/Brodaddy
July 18 - Forbidden Island, Alameda CA w/special guest Ivan Pongracic
July 20 - Speakeasy Brewery, San Francisco, CA @3:00

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Things you can do this summer for $10:
1 ticket to a movie or,
1 Chicken Casear salad or,
2.5 Gallons of Gas or,
3 Starbucks Grande Mocha...
ALL of these things you will want out of your system as quickly as possible. But for $9.99, you can buy the new Frankie & the Pool Boys album, the perfect soundtrack for Summer 2013, and you'll have great memories for the rest of your life.
Order now from iTunes
Order now from Double Crown

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Love this album! I'm surprised to hear those way more knowledgable than me say they don't hear the inspirational models for these songs because I really enjoy picking out the influences. Some of them are a good stretch from American surf both geographically and categorically. Everything from The Atlantics to the Hellecasters. I find the sheer breadth and span of them genius.
This album is a blast and definitely a grower. One of those that gets better with each listen. Kudos to all involved, this is as good as it gets IMO...just great-fun-music!

http://blueruins.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013 18:42:29

blueruins wrote:

Love this album! I'm surprised to hear those way more knowledgable than me say they don't hear the inspirational models for these songs because I really enjoy picking out the influences. Some of them are a good stretch from American surf both geographically and categorically. Everything from The Atlantics to the Hellecasters. I find the sheer breadth and span of them genius.
This album is a blast and definitely a grower. One of those that gets better with each listen. Kudos to all involved, this is as good as it gets IMO...just great-fun-music!

Thanks for the good words BR! Much appreciated!

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

I just got my copy and gave it a spin. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Duke at SurfRockMusic just posted his review:
http://www.surfrockmusic.com/frankie-and-the-poolboys-the-adventures-of-capn-coconuts.html

I'm curious, why haven't you ordered your copy yet?

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

The reviews are rolling in, this is from Pipeline:

If you can't read it, Control + Click on image and open in a new window