Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Frankie & The Pool Boys - The Adventures Of Cap'n Coconuts CD

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Frankie & The Pool Boys - The Adventures Of Cap'n Coconuts CD (Double Crown)

Tracks: Cap'n Coconuts TV Theme - Skinny Dippin' - Ripley In Love - Cat Fight - The Golden State - Manx! - Sundial Suite - Tic Toc - Dead Man Surfin - Paniolo - Organic Matters - Rattler Ranch - Surfacing - Monkey Pod

Frankie & The Pool Boys - The Adventures Of Cap'n Coconuts CD - DCCD51 - $12.75

(Click To Order From Double Crown Records)

Please post reviews, favorite tracks and press mentions in this thread.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Ordered mine.

I got mine yesterday. Very Happy Mr. Green Listened twice so far (too damn busy, or I would have listened several more times!). The variety of sounds and moods is overwhelming, but one thing for sure - this is an INCREDIBLE CD! It'll take a while to digest, though, but I greatly look forward to the process! BTW, a stroke of genius releasing it at the beginning of the summer - this CD truly SOUNDS like summer! It'll be the soundtrack of the summer of 2013.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I posted this on another thread, better off here....

Completely biased opinion here. Mr. Green This is a great album!!! I've held off on listening to almost all of the mixes until I got the actual CD in my hand, which I did yesterday. I've been listening to it ever since I got it. (though I skip my songs, I already know what those songs sound like)

One thing you can be sure of, and it's obvious to anyone who has the first FPB album or the Pollo records, is that you're going to get your money's worth. These are elaborate, interesting, at times thought provoking, and at times humorous, highly polished songs. It's not a 'surf' record per se, but it's a journey through the world of Ferenc's very fertile imagination as channelled through and electric guitar (amongst other instruments).

Masterfully mixed and mastered by Gary Hobish, who did the same for the first Tmen album, it's a virtual feast for the ears. I highly recommend everyone of you get in touch with Sean at Doublecrown and reserve your copy immediately. Do it!!!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I listened through it twice more last night, and then again this morning. There are only two words for this CD - holy s#!+!! The amount of sheer musicality that went into this album is astounding. The attention to detail, whether in songwriting, arrangement, recording, or mixing, is mindblowing. Every few seconds in every song there's something new, something different, something incredibly cool. Some of it is just little touches that make a close listening experience so rewarding (such as the tremolo speed rapidly slowing down at the end of Golden State - I love that), and some of it big or really unusual parts that come into the song and knock you completely sideways. EVERY song creates its own world, has its own feel and sound and is entirely different from all the other songs on the album. I must admit that I have very mixed feelings listening to this album - on one hand, I absolutely love it and am in disbelief that anyone could create music of such depth and richness, but on the other hand it brings up feelings of deep inadequacy as a songwriter and arranger or simply as a musician! I suspect the latter will pass in time, and there will be only joy left. Since really, THAT is what this CD is all about - pure, sheer JOY that only music is capable of stirring inside a man's soul.

Bottom line: this CD is a true masterpiece. As good, even remarkable, as Pollo's Golden State and Frankie & the Pool Boys' debut were, this one surpasses them. Ferenc shows himself to be a consummate musician, possibly the very best in our entire genre, which is unusually heavily loaded with remarkable talent, IMHO. But I venture to say that nobody can do what Ferenc does here - though, of course, he does it with the help of a group of amazingly talented people themselves, in particular Dusty on drums who may have hit a career-high on this album (seriously), Danny on rhythm and occasional lead guitar and who also contributes a few songs that stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the best of Ferenc's and whose own talent I believe is just absolutely staggering (what a double-whammy these two make!!), and Karen on keyboards whose work here is impressive to the maximum, always contributing unbelievably cool parts and counter-melodies. (There's also a who's-who list of guest musicians!)

I really am blown away. Ferenc, Danny, Karen, Dusty & co. - congratulations, truly. You've created an instant classic, and you ought to be immensely proud!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Gee--- I am still waiting for my copy to arrive and now I am even more stoked! Some really high praise coming in from musicians that I strongly admire!

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

Looking forward to picking this one (and a few other Smile cd's at The Battle Of The Surf Bands Saturday. Congrats you guys!

www.northofmalibu.com

just ordered mine. What excellent reviews I'm reading. I think this is the most anticipated CD this year...so far!

I received mine a few days ago too! Mr. Green
All I can say at this point is this thing is DENSE! There is a lot going on and as Ivan said, will take some time to dig into it properly. On my initial listening, I'll just echo all the positive comments made thus far. It is a really well thought out concept from the writing to the arrangements to the instrumentation to the awesome artwork and packaging. You can tell that Ferenc and Co. really put a lot of thought and effort into this one.

I'm looking forward to digging in further for sure!

Great work Ferenc and Co.!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Waiting for MANY copies of this album including mine Smile for sale at the Surfer Joe Summer Festival with much Double Crown stuff. I cannot wait to get into this album!

Fred did certainly an amazing job on this graphic, one of his best I have to say!

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

A virtual symphony of surf! fantastic!

www.cutbacksurfband.com

"The Golden State" ...chills when that second lead comes in! "Cap'n Coconuts TV Theme" ...grinning through the entire song! not sure, but it's possible some parts of the liner notes are not entirely factual... Hmmm

Thanks to everybody who ordered the Cap'n Coconuts CD, and to Sean for mailing them out so fast. I appreciate the reviews, long or short. This album was a long time in the making, but I paid a lot of attention to details, because I know you guys are listening closely!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Got my copy a day or two ago. Honestly, I figured that the first Frankie disc was so amazing that any follow-up would have to fall short in comparison. Boy, was I wrong! I'll leave a detailed review to those more competent than I am. My review is just three words long: Buy It Now.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

surferjoemusic wrote:

Waiting for MANY copies of this album including mine Smile for sale at the Surfer Joe Summer Festival with much Double Crown stuff. I cannot wait to get into this album!

Fred did certainly an amazing job on this graphic, one of his best I have to say!

Ok Lorenzo, good to know it will be available at SJ'13, indeed very nice graphics!

Los Venturas
The Hydrosonics (RIP)

The artwork, packaging, and production are all amazing.

There is a lot of digest here and I got in trouble speaking too soon about the last F&TPB record. So I will chime in as stuff hits me instead of all at once. This is my initial take only is what I am trying to say. Smile

It is not a surf record, although the cover of Phantom Frank's Dead Man Surfing is killer. So I mourned for that on my first listen.

But subsequent listens reveal a really polished and varied sounding album that any guitar-instro fan will really dig into. Cap'n Coconuts TV Theme had me right away, I smiled throughout. The next track, Skinny Dippin' is a love story to the first days of summer and how much joy you feel when you realize you have all that vacation as a kid. I love it! Danny's two songs are amazing as well. Sundial Suite is very moving. The Golden State and Tic Toc also stand out. The western sounding Rattler Ranch with Insect Dave is another highlight for me.

Like others have said, it is very well crafted, oozing with musicality, lots of nice details, and takes multiple listens to absorb it all. But there are lots of immediate stand out "I love this" moments. I don't want to paint the picture that this is too hard, like a math problem; there is some genuine emotional content here that is quite amazing.

This is all on 5 or 6 listens. I hope to add some more thoughts later. But based on this I highly recommend the album to anyone except those folks who only want to hear "a surf record." If you love well crafted songs done with a nod to the instrumental classics of the 60's, interesting guitar melodies, and lots of variety, you'll dig this album. One of the most compelling releases of the year so far.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brilliant Cool Cool Cool Cool

www.northofmalibu.com

Words cannot describe the musical genius of this CD. The Baron would be proud!!

CUTBACK

surfer wrote:

A virtual symphony of surf! fantastic!

Funny you mention that, since the scope and ambition of this CD actually remind me of the Barbwires' Searider, which I also think is a work of musical genius. Ferenc manages to do it without an orchestra, though!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

It came today. Nearing the end of my second listen. It's rapidly rising up deep into the top ten of my all-time favorite records. But it's something else too - sturdy!

My dog is having a panic attack today because of the weather. She nearly knocked me over as I was placing the CD in the tray. The disk sustained a scratch across the playing surface so deep it weakened the CD. But it's still playing!

One thing's for sure. If the CD cracks in half along the cut, I'll replace it immediately. This is going to get a lot of play around here.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: May 23, 2013 22:58:02

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next