Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink SURF BASS 101 !!!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

JObeast wrote:

Seriously, I have been trying to get a bass playing gig but they can tell I'm a guitarist a d assume it's somehow disingenuous to try out on bass. I was never ordained a bassist but thought I could fake it. I try to play on the downbeats, tonic & 5th, lite arpeggios and scalar walking when it's called for but somehow it's not selling so far.
JonPaul, anyone else - got any advice on better bass?

I am
playing a Dano Longhorn with flats, a pick and palm muting.

Really dig into listening to bassists who's style you are inspired by. Focus on where they play in relation to the beat, the lengths of their notes, accents, phrasing, etc. Play with a metronome, with recordings, and record yourself to analyze what you are doing.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Guess who has to learn the bass part for Good Vibrations? I do! It's not like it's an iconic bass part or anything. Gulp!

Any tips will be deeply, greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, we're playing it in Ebm/Gb.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014 18:21:20

Noel,
I'd be happy to send you a video on how to cop the intro bass technique/sound..........

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Keep it simple and comfortable for you. Playing the root, eighth notes or quarters, pick or fingers. . . it can all work. Many a guitarist wants to impress with complex playing and this isn't often needed in bass playing. However, playing with drive and locking with the drummer is crucial. I love playing bass because it makes listening to the other parts (their dynamics, feel, syncopation and structure) a necessity, since I have to find a part that compliments the others. When faced with this, I often find that less is more.

CrazyAces wrote:

Noel,
I'd be happy to send you a video on how to cop the intro bass technique/sound..........

Please! Thanks so VERY much!

walksupright wrote:

Keep it simple and comfortable for you. Playing the root, eighth notes or quarters...

Ian, that was my original idea. But I'm supposed to learn the bass part that's actually on the original recording. The bass during the verses has it's own rhythm (cut time?) and is played way up in a guitar's range. Then the bass gets in sync with the song during the choruses with a great walking bass line down on the bottom. Very cool sounding part. But not so simple.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014 20:04:31

Noel - this should help get you started! (and who better to learn from than the person who came up with the bass lines for Good Vibrations?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UqNvMOdhGU

Johnny_Z wrote:

Noel - this should help get you started! (and who better to learn from than the person who came up with the bass lines for Good Vibrations?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UqNvMOdhGU

Nothing like starting at the top, is there? Johnny, if I can pull this off, maybe I can be a bass player? Smile

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014 20:19:52

I learned the bass line to 'Pet Sounds' and that is like a lesson in tonality in itself. Brian is really a great composer. We should all learn at his feet.

Squink Out!

Sorry, Noel . . . I commented out of context. As a long shot, another, perhaps supplementary resource could be the Carol Kaye website. She played bass on the track. There is a wealth of information on her site. Also, she does (or used to) reply to emails. When she returned mine, she was prompt, (next day - I couldn't believe it!) very courteous and friendly, going so far as to email some exercises. Very cool person as well as musician. Couldn't hurt to try.

walksupright wrote:

Sorry, Noel . . . I commented out of context. As a long shot, another, perhaps supplementary resource could be the Carol Kaye website. She played bass on the track. There is a wealth of information on her site. Also, she does (or used to) reply to emails. When she returned mine, she was prompt, (next day - I couldn't believe it!) very courteous and friendly, going so far as to email some exercises. Very cool person as well as musician. Couldn't hurt to try.

Nothing at all to apologize for. It's good advice for everything else. I will check out Carol's website.

Now that I have a vintage-sounding bass outfit, I was looking for something a little more Jaguar-like for my Bass VI that could safely handle the lowest notes. I played the Bass VI though the outfit, and it was too bass-like, compared to playing it through my Fender or Music Man.

So I hooked up my MicroPro-200 to the Kustom 4X10 cab. That was cool. I can drive it as hard as I want and, while it isn't as Jaguar-like as the guitar amps, it's a lot closer than the bass amp head, and I don't have to worry about the vintage speakers in the other amps. The sturdy Quilter speaker gives a nice clear top that I can hear no matter how loud I play, and the bass 4X10s give it a full bottom. And in stereo, too.

FYI. IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014 15:58:43

Digging on Jet Harris & Tony Meehan. What amp did Jet use? Some huge Vox? I am going to try to cop his 'lead bass' sound. He's a totally bad-ass player – attitude to the max. I can see why he'd quit the Shadows even though they were huge. He's got a voice of his own that Hank was overshadowing.

Squink Out!

Just ordered a new bass from Ibanez. This is awesome! Has the vintage look desired by surf bands and myself. The Ibanez TMB-100 in ivory. Check it out. I should have it within a week so I'll let you all know how it sounds. Haven't found any YouTube videos on this just yet.

Looks great! Looking forward to hearing about how it sounds. If I hadn't just bought a Squier Jag Special SS . . .

All I wish I knew what they were talking about

I figured I'd chime in. I'm new to surf but have played rockabilly, blues & jazz quite a bit so it's a simple transformation

Here's what I've been playing. It's a Fender Cabronita through an Ampeg VR mini stack. I also have the big mamma jamma 1100W fEARful stack with a Sansamp so it's Ampeg-ish.

The Cabronita with LaBella flats was deliciously old school thumpy. I wanted the ability to add just a touch of modern for sustain in there and upgraded the pickup to a TV Jones Thunder'Blade.

Of course, my Jack Casady is also begging to be brought out for this project as well.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015 11:34:17

"One little pick made this girl hundreds of thousands of dollars." I just about spit coffee on my monitor, with that one. Laughing

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

My band has been auditioning bassists and so far we have not found any that really know what I would call bass playing, i.e., classic techniques of making a bass line. It seems to us, and correct me if I am wrong, that the musical idiom has largely been lost. When I hear that a bassist plays rockabilly my ears perk up because those cats can walk a bass line and have ears attuned to the idiom of traditional bass playing. Is the opinion valid, asking you bassists here, that jazz, rockabilly and other vintage idioms produce more of the needed bass skills than what we know as rock, especially punk rock?
I'd really like to hear from bassists about what background prepares a good surf bassist.

Squink Out!

Good question, Jo. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I thought any 'ole moron could scrape percussively on those 4 big dumb strings and make it work. Wink

In my opinion, Surf bass is precisely half and half of the elements you are referring to. It's rooted in the traditions and styles that came before (Jazz, Rockabilly, Blues), but to make it come alive and become something new, it utilizes techniques more at home in the Rock world.

Along these lines, the most interesting and effective bass parts to Surf songs would use scale walking, arpeggios & triads, 5th and 4th bouncing, leading and passing tones, etc. derived from the older traditions, and predominant down-picking, the half-step hammer™ (my term for the MOST significant and quintessential "Surf" bass technique), etc. derived from rock styles.

For more, please be at the Tiki room upstairs at The Surfer Joe Diner on Sunday, June 19 @ 3:30PM. We'll go over all this and much, much more!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Thanks, JP for the precisely informative response. I wish I could stow away out of LAX on Alitalia to make the show but my bank accounts remain stubbornly empty despite all the hoodoo I can aim at them. That mojo I bought in Venice must be bunk.

Squink Out!

I'm think JP is probably the definitive source on this one JO. It also depends on where your is at and where you want to end up. From what I've heard, you seem pretty focused on old school origins. The problem is, most modern bass players are coming from a different place these days. SO then the question becomes, do you wait for that special someone? Or do you contemplate a reasonable modern guy/gal and see what cooks up?

Good luck.

mj

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next