Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink SURF BASS 101 !!!!!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

I thought I would start this and see what happens....
True that the genre is geared towards guitar sound and tone.
and we always hear about drummers as well.
But you cant just put any old bass player in a surf band and you can always tell a guitar player that switches to bass.

So.......

What are some of most notable 60's era surf songs with amazing bass lines?
What kind of amps are people playing bass through?
etc ....

??????????????????

I've always loved the bass line for Bullwinkle pt. 2 by the Centurions.

I don't have an amp at the moment.
But I am really wanting to get something soon.
I have a hand built cabnit with 2- JBL E 140s
But I am thinking that a 100 lb. cab. with 2 -15s might be overkill
for most gigs, so I will probably look for, or have made a 1- 15 cab.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011 22:45:19

I've actually been thinking of starting a thread about this, so now I don't have to!

The Atlantics and The Spotnicks are two 60s bands that always stood out to me, bass-wise. It's nice to hear basslines that aren't just pipeline-y arpeggios or 5ths. I'm trying to remember more bands with interesting bass work but the only ones that spring to mind aren't really surf bands (like Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet)

A few months ago I was learning the bassline to Meteorite Shower by The Insect Surfers and it really is a lot of fun, it's one of my current favorites to play.

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

Good one.

That thing Ive been carrying for 14 years is 100lbs ?
As the saying goes"more sound by the pound"

The ventures arent surf... but I always thought he was definitely integral in their songs.Both Edwards and Bogle. Even for the way they set up on stage.

or like JET BLACK....
But when you really get down to surf...its difficult to discover the good bass players because they arent talked about.

I like Ron Griffith (The Lively Ones) and Lada Furlan-Zaborac (Bambi Molesters) to name two . . .

Rob,
yer cab is probably not 100 lbs.

mine is,
its 4 by 3 by 2
and 3/4 inch plywood.
its a bitch to move even with a dolly.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

websurfer wrote:

I like Ron Griffith (The Lively Ones) and Lada
Furlan-Zaborac (Bambi Molesters) to name two . . .

Ron Griffith... how old was that guy when they recorded ????
I listen to their songs and try to play along...it seems the guy never plays the same thing twice. Not a riff player. Hard to learn note for note.
Its like water...when you listen to Tim play everywhere but the pocket...and bass player walking everywhere...
its truly amazing.

That's a good description. Tim is one of my favorite surf drummers, and he and Ron combined to be one of the best and most distinctive rhythm sections of that time.

Guitars have been around for 1000 years... and started to become electric in the 1930's ???
But the electric bass really didnt start making a debut till the 50's
tween 58-64 the P-Bass was just an infant then...
How rad is that... a whole new style of music and sound. With a relatively new instrument.
But yet the guitar over shadows it in the genre... wow

weirdee13 wrote:

What are some of most notable 60's era surf songs with
amazing bass lines?

Well, the early 1960s era surf is notable for first routinely using the electric Fender bass in the combos of the day. I think is was an essential, foundational element of the whole sound.

EDIT: The taxidermy connection to surf bass eludes me. Are you The Nuge's bassist?

SSIV

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011 02:00:32

Sticky perhaps?

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

+1 for Ron Griffith! Love the tone he got out of his bass.

Cool guitar rack.

Since I just got my bass and practice bass amp, Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (Transparent Maple) and Peavey 30 WATT Minx 110, I have everything to learn about playing bass and especially surf bass.

My guitar teacher is a terrific jazz guitar and jazz bass player. He doesn't surf and neither does anyone around here. I'd appreciate any suggestions about which scales to learn first and so on.

Thanks.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Ooh, a thread for me!

Ron Griffith's playing definitely had an impact on the way that I play surf bass. Jet Harris has also been a favorite. Although one really can't call the Ventures surf there is no doubt that the bass lines, both 4 string and Bass VI, are phenomenal. I hear something new, bass-wise, almost everytime I put on a Ventures record. Same thing goes for the Shadows.

Some thoughts on surf bass.
I have always said that it requires a fair amount of discipline to be a bass player in a surf band. A modern bassist really has to take a step back to fit into the surf/instro idiom. Bass technique took a huge leap forward in the 70s with the advent of funk and fusion. All of a sudden there are players like Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Louis Johnson, Bootsy, etc etc. They changed the language and the role of the electric bass in pop music. The bass lexicon has continued to evolve. Modern bass requires more technical prowess than most of the early "Fender Bass" styles of the 50s and 60s (however, see what happens when you ask a chopper bassist or a shredder to do a simple walking bass line you will likely be disappointed). In my opinion modern bass styles wouldn't really work in the context of a surf band. For one thing most surf guitarists would crap their pants if they had to compete with a "lead bass" player, also surf would sound silly if there was a lot of slappin' and poppin' and hammerons. Surf bass, to my ears, requires traditional blues/r&b style bass lines. It's a support role, but for me it is always rewarding to lock in with the drums and rock.

I have three different amps that I use depending on the gig. One is a 60 watt 1x12 ampeg that I use for quiet gigs, then I have 400 watt acoustic 2x10 that works for most applications. For bigger club, theater or outdoor gigs I use a 450 watt ampeg head with a ported 4x10, sometimes I use two 4x10 cabs or a 4x10 and a 1x15.

This post is ridiculously long. sorry.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

Oops, posted in error...Deleted.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011 21:01:53

It didn't seem long to me. Maybe too short. If I read you correctly, I should tell my guitar teacher to work with me on walking bass lines. Is that where I should start? Oh, yeah, I editied it for brevity. Big Grin

jp wrote:

Some thoughts on surf bass.
.... see what happens when you ask a chopper
bassist or a shredder to do a simple walking bass line ....
This post is ridiculously long. sorry.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011 10:21:02

Noel,
Teachers can get you started. It's good to know some theory. Theory is the common language of musicians, it is especially important if you want to play with a lot of different people, situations, genre's. Learning and practicing scales will help you become fluid and will eventually clue you in on note and chord relationships, but it sure is boring. Ultimately the best thing is to use your ears. There is no substitute for ear training. Put on a record, figure out the key (usually the first tonic note of the song) and let 'er rip.

When I was learning to play bass there were 3 books that I found useful. 1. Rufus Reid's Evolving Bassist, 2. Ray Brown's Bass Method, and 3 was a book of bass scales and modes that I believe was published by Hal Leonard. It was good because not only did it show the various scales and modes, but it also included exercises that showed how those scales could be turned into actual basslines.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

Thanks, JP. I appreciate the advice. I'll look for those bass books.

I'm using a pick right now because it's closest to what I already do with moderate success on guitar. So I guess I'm starting out playing bass like a guitar player. Is that a mistake? I see bass players use a pick, thumb only, thumb and one finger. thumb and two fingers, one finger only and two fingers without thumb. Is this based on what they're playing or just how they play?

Regarding sound, the pick, a heavy Fender bass pick, creates a sharp loud attack as opposed to the softer quieter sound with thumb or fingers. I see lots of surf vids with surf bass played with a pick. Is that normal or just what's in the sample?

One more question if you don't mind. I'm still looking for a bass fuzz pedal to produce a rasberry sound. It may or not be traditionally surfy, but I think it could be added to surf music and it sounds really wild, especially with lots of reverb; I just don't know how it's made. I have plugged my bass into a BOSS RV-5 and into my amp, set it to hall/modulate, and it sounds terrific, but doesn't have that rasberry sound I want. Do you have any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011 12:26:54

For a bass fuzz, get down to your local music store and ask to try out the pedals designed for bass. Fuzz/overdrive is a very personal thing, and what one person thinks is a great pedal might not be your preferred type of raspberry.

Pick or fingers is whatever you play best with. You'll get more control with fingers, but if your style of playing benefits from a pick, then so be it. You can always use the tone control to take a bit off the top end to stop it sounding too percussive.
Personally, I use fingers 95% of the time, but will use a pick for when I need to dig in with a solid 8 beat.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next