Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Inspiring Surf Music images from the 60's...

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

simoncoil wrote:

Could it be that the smaller / lower room is Harmony and the bigger one is Rendezvous?

These are the same room, note the column/border/frame. The drapery is also the same.

If we go by this YouTube clip then these are definitely Harmony Park.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

I really like his drumming there! The guitar part, while he is drumming... REALLY bad, until the solo and then it is an example of why Dick Dale/Deltones were such an influence. The tone and how that was played... ahead of its time.

If my memory serves me well the drum risor at the Rendezvous was 3 to 4 feet higher than the level of the stage where the other members played. The stage we played at Harmony Park had slightly higher level for the drums and I don't remember any curtains covering back of stage. Dennis Merritt our sax player would know for sure more details.
Bob- Dave Myers and The Surftones

JakeDobner wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

Could it be that the smaller / lower room is Harmony and the bigger one is Rendezvous?

These are the same room, note the column/border/frame. The drapery is also the same.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but this is exactly what I meant. The room in the last two photos is rather high and has drappery etc. The room in the recently unearhted photo however has a lower ceiling and there is no drappery and the wall in the back seems much closer to the drums. I don't want to argue here (because it really isn't that important), but to me these look like different rooms for whatever reason. Could even be the different suits Dick is wearing. Confused

EDIT: Looking again at the picture posted by Ivan I realise that probably the perspective got the better of me. The 'lower ceiling' probably is just the ceiling of the booth behind the stage. So I agree: Same room, Harmony Park.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Jan 06, 2015 03:33:35

JakeDobner wrote:

I really like his drumming there! The guitar part, while he is drumming... REALLY bad, until the solo and then it is an example of why Dick Dale/Deltones were such an influence. The tone and how that was played... ahead of its time.

Yes We've all seen that look of intensity many times whether sticks or guitar in hand. Rockin' the house, great clip.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

It's too bad some of the pic's in the thread are no longer linked. I always enjoy pouring back over the thread from the start whenever it gets bumped or updated - SO cool!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Those pics of Dick were shot at Harmony Park. The earlier shot with the curtains was Harmony as well as the curtains went away later.
You can always tell Harmony by the checkerboard tile on the stage floor.
Also there were two doorways to the stage from the back dressing rooms...one on the left side the other on the right. Crappy greenish curtains covered the doorways.
The second level on the stage is only about a foot higher then the stage and it went the entire length of the stage.
There was also a wooden railing at the front and sides of the stage.
The only way onto the stage from the dance floor was a door and stairs to the left of the stage that led up to the three dressing rooms in the rear of the stage.
Hope this helps.

I never saw this picture of the Sentinals before:

It is taken from an article about them on a page, that also features David Marks & the Marksmen with some images.

"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Just came across this cool pic I've never seen before of DD at Harmony Park...

Not too many pics exist of Surfer's Stomps for some reason. Teenagers didn't own cameras then or something? Here's THE ECHOES at Surf City, Sydney, 1963. Don't think I've ever heard their stuff.

I don't ever remember anybody taking a camera to a dance. There were some promotional shots of the bands taken and that's about it. It cost enough money to develop film that picture taking would have been a luxury for a lot of teens.

wfoguy wrote:

I don't ever remember anybody taking a camera to a dance. There were some promotional shots of the bands taken and that's about it. It cost enough money to develop film that picture taking would have been a luxury for a lot of teens.

+1 even a little Brownie or something ("single-shot" with pop-out/snap-in bulbs) would've just been uncool & a PITA besides that - and then get 'em developed was money better spent on something else. Long before this fanny packs & cargo pockets thing. Even at teen house parties the person with a camera probably had it because their social prospects otherwise were down.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

The question really isn't about kids with cameras, IMO. I don't remember anybody my age at the time who had a camera, much less brought it to a band practice, a gig, or a dance. I think it's about PROUD parents with cameras who wanted to capture their son playing in his first band. Or, better yet, filming them with an 8mm Brownie or Bell & Howell movie camera. At least, that's the theory. Some 8mm films of surf bands do exist (silent, of course), but it truly surprises me that more of this hasn't turned up in the last 40-50 years. Kathy Marshall's parents, for example, filmed her many times at backyard parties and at gigs with both still and 8mm movie cameras. There has to be more out there that remains to be found.

BTW, that Dick Dale footage at Harmony Park (as those who have a copy of my surf music discography will know) was filmed in 16mm (with sound) by Capitol Records. They wanted to create a short promo film of the new recording artist they had recently signed that could be shared with disc jockeys across the country to show at record hops. I'm not sure it was ever distributed as planned. All that remains today is a portion of the film with an editing time code in the lower third of the frame.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

When I started going to concerts as a kid in the early 80's I'd bring my camera along, sometimes even sneaking it in to get shots at shows that didn't allow cameras. But like John said, you would think more footage existed of stuff that was shot by parents with their home cameras. In contrast there's a ton of documentation of the garage era from "64 on. There's lots of that around.

Another rare picture of Dick Dale & his Del-Tones:

I found this in yet another article about the story behing Misirlou:
http://the-guitar.com/dick-dale-misirlou/

The background looks very similar to the picture of the Pickwick Park Teenage Fair mentioned previously, but it's obviously late in the evening.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016 03:39:59

Another "then and now" documented in the photos. Then: Bands set up without any stage monitors or front of the house sound reinforcement. Now, its fairly common in venues similar to Harmony Park or the Rendezvous to mic the drums, provide stage monitors, FOH, sound guy, lighting and a van full of odds and ends. Thankfully there are still places where its just amps and maybe a PA for announcements and a handful of vocals. If Dick Dale had simply plugged into a Fender amp that was mic'ed into 10,000 watts of power pushing an array of speakers Leo may never had been challenged to rework his amps. It truly was a different world.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016 13:08:40

Just stumbled about this cool shot of the Belairs yesterday (I had seen a smaller version in a CD booklet before, but only in b/w):

Taken from an article about surf bands from the South Bay.

Note the reverb in front of Eddie's amp! So this must have been shortly before he left to form Eddie & the Showmen.

This thread is really cool, some great photos that I have never seen before!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

This thread should be stickied. Thanks for bumping it!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next