Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Inspiring Surf Music images from the 60's...

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

BTW: I asked this already some time ago: Does anybody have a decent
version of the picture in the centre of Kent Crowleys book "Surf Beat"
showing the Del-Tones play at Harmony Park?

NOT Harmony Park. That photo was actually taken by Bob Perrine ("You Won't Part With Yours Either") at the Pickwick Park Teenage Fair in Burbank. Refer to my book, "The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music, 1961-1965," page 152.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Ah, interesting! I always wondered why the gig was outdoors, when usually Harmony Park is used as a reference for the ballroom of the same name.

The photo is also in Richard Smith's "Fender. The Sound heard around the world" along with some Pictures of other surfbands (Eddie & the Showmen, Kathie Marshall, Dave Myers etc.).

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

John wrote:

NOT Harmony Park. That photo was actually taken by Bob Perrine ("You Won't Part With Yours Either") at the Pickwick Park Teenage Fair in Burbank. Refer to my book, "The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music, 1961-1965," page 152.

Unfortunately, that's not the only error in Crowley's book! I would say to everyone get John's book instead!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014 13:39:19

More inspiring stuff... also from Randy Nauert's FB page. Randy needs to do a book!... I WAS A TEENAGE CHALLENGER!

Here's the Challenger's at the Hollywood Palladium looking quite sharp in their matching suits and killer gear!...

Randy looking cool behind the wheel of a boss front engine dragster...

More inspirational stuff... BEACH PARTY MOVIES! Unless you grew up in SoCal in the early 60's chances are you first heard surf music in these movies that ran on TV non-stop. I know I did!

Some like to dismiss them as cheesy and unrealistic but that's like accusing BLAZING SADDLES of not being a true depiction of the American West! Smile The Beach Party movies were comedies with really great music! I dug 'em and still do!

Here's Dick Dale and The Deltones in MUSCLE BEACH PARTY, although these guys with Dick are likely extras cause they were younger and better looking than the real Deltones. Smile

Dick Dale stretches his vocal chords, singing "My First Love" written by Gary Usher and Brian Wilson. Recorded also by Gary Usher's SUPERSTOCKS.

Arch nemisis' MIKI DORA (left) and JOHNNIE FAIN (right) dance to the sounds of Dick Dale wearing HOT CURL shirts designed by Michael Dormer. They may have been rivals in real life but they certainly didn't have a problem being on screen together!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014 20:10:08

shivers13 wrote:

John wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not the only error in Crowley's book! I would say to everyone get John's book instead!

It's like with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Encyclopedia Galactica: The first one is widely inaccurate, but is slightly cheaper. Wink

Here is a little piece of the picture mentioned for people who don't have any of the books (from an article on the Fender website, about the Strat):

And another cool pick of Dick, perhaps my second favorite:

"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Surf Music and fast cars! A perfect match!

The fantastic NEWPORT NOMADS and their boss '63 Vette...

Some great car covers...

Another great car cover! The Astronauts' Competition Coupe!

THE MOTIVATIONS from Glendale, CA! ( Photo courtesy of Robert Dalley's essential book SURFIN' GUITARS). This awesome group only produced one known single... but what a single it was! The frantic and frightfully spooky tune called THE BIRDS!...

I saw this one on FB, I have never seen it before. John Blair posted that he thought it was at the Harmony Park Ballroom, ~1962.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Gosh I love this thread. Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I agree Badger. This thread is awesome!

Brian wrote:

I saw this one on FB, I have never seen it before. John Blair posted that he thought it was at the Harmony Park Ballroom, ~1962.

Great Pic! Saw it on FB as well. Does look like harmony Park based on the low checkerboard stage. Here's another...

Boy, the look in Dick's eyes in that second photo....

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

I didn't feel like going through all the pages of this thread, but I don't think this shot of Jim Messina has been posted anywhere but the Photo of the Day (from where I got it) and it really deserves to go here, too:

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Indeed. Ivan! I will see your Jim Messina and raise you two Randy Holden's. Smile

Yes

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

shivers13 wrote:

Brian wrote:

Great Pic! Saw it on FB as well. Does look like harmony Park based on the low checkerboard stage. Here's another...

However it should be noted, that the rest of the room and especially the ceiling look quite different in both pictures, which becomes clearer when you see the same stage from different perspectives:

Could it be that the smaller / lower room is Harmony and the bigger one is Rendezvous?

The 'new' picture is obviously from the same time and room as this one:

By the way: There are some new cool shots over at bkazmers Flick-page, including this rare shot of The Vistas:

simoncoil wrote:

Could it be that the smaller / lower room is Harmony and the bigger one is Rendezvous?

EDIT: I now think all of these DD pics are Harmony Park. But I was never at either since this is before I was born! Maybe John Blair can chime in.

Here's another Dick pic from Harmony Park from Domenic Priore and Brian Chidester's awesome book POP SURF CULTURE.

Last edited: Jan 05, 2015 20:40:47

Dick looks thinner and somehow smaller in this photo than the other ones before (and that's quite a 'do he's sportin', too!). I remember seeing this photo in that book, and wondering if it is from '65-'66, and maybe he was showing the effects of cancer by that point. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's what I think of each time I see that photo.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next